PDA

View Full Version : Success with cbt

Laura1989
10-11-12, 18:41
So after 3 sessions of cbt (so roughly 6 weeks) And 4 months on citalopram i am finally feeling like everything is coming together and having an effect on me.

Last Friday I went out with a group of people I don't know to a charity quiz. I was sooo anxious beforehand, even making my brother wait outside in the car until I text him to say I was ok (lol!)

Anyway, that was a HUGE success, and resulted in 3 friends being made. :yesyes: those said friends text me and facebook'd me all week to see if I was joining them on a night out in town tonight, and I said yes I would, so am now just waiting until its time for me to go and meet them. :D

I'm amazed at myself, I haven't done this is such a long time, preferring to be a social recluse and stay in my room every night, not even talking to my family.

I think a lot of this has come from the AMAZING support o have had on here (I won't name names but you guys know who you are!) and the Leeds meet group are just fantastic. :hugs:

So thank you guys.....so much! :)

BobbyDog
10-11-12, 18:46
Well done Laura, enjoy your night out, I hope you have a wonderful time.
xxxx

Elle-Kay
10-11-12, 18:47
Well done! :D :yahoo:

oh no_1
10-11-12, 20:31
thats fab laura!!!! fantastic! gggooooooooooooooooooooooo laura. so proud of you!

speckles69uk
10-11-12, 21:55
That's great news Laura, I'm really pleased for you.

xxx

oh no_1
10-11-12, 21:56
hope u enjoying your night out

Laura1989
04-12-12, 22:10
Been discharged from my cbt therapist, she is happy that I can try on my own now and keep referring back to the workbooks I have if I ever need them.
She showed me my scores from the questionnaire I did at the beginning of each session (the lower the better), I went from 17, up to 21, then gradually down every fortnight till on Monday I was on 5.
It wasn't until Monday that realised that I was ok, and things were a lot better than they were before. I think the combo of cbt and medication has allowed me to work on things and also accept them. Yes I've had the worst year ever, yes I have had to rebuild myself from the bottom over the last few months, but you know what? It IS possible, the circumstances just have to be right and I was lucky in that they were for me.

I'm not completely 'cured' (hate the word but you know what i mean!) but I feel more like my old self again, and loads of people have commented on how settled I seem and seem like the Laura I was a couple of years ago :)

I'm staying on 10mg of citalopram for a while, at least until after Christmas and new year, as I think I just need that extra bit of help over the festive period (first Xmas without my ex etc etc!) Then I might look at where I am and think about dropping again, but there's absolutely no rush for me!! :) :)

Laura x

diggory
05-12-12, 00:17
Think about starting your change in the spring. I went cold turkey from 40 mil cit' in late August. I have been really well bar a couple of weeks of withdrawal symptoms (not too bad) Had thought about doing this for a while because my health had drastically improved since a big crash in late 07. I put in place some long term changes and learned from my mistakes and identified warning signs that could trigger my relapses. Yoga and mindfulness meditation have really worked for me and would recommend you looking into to this to strengthen your recovery. Cit' really helped me, I upped my dose early on after maybe four months , it made a big difference and took away a feeling of anxiety that seemed to kick in most evenings. If you have been on a good level for a few months, without any setbacks it may be time to think about stopping. Best wishes, get Christmas over first then go for it... Good luck !!!

CameronG
05-12-12, 03:57
Well done Laura xx

BobbyDog
05-12-12, 09:22
Well done Laura, wishing you all the success in the world. Good luck with Uni' let me know how you get on.

Elle-Kay
05-12-12, 10:13
Well done Laura, I'm thrilled for you that you've had such good results :)

Laura1989
06-12-12, 16:36
Thank you guys :) I'm really chuffed with myself, put a lot of hard work in and it seems to have payed off! Been a rough couple of months whilst doing it, but been worth it!!