PDA

View Full Version : Do other emetophobes feel this way?

Rls1994
11-11-12, 17:25
Hey guys,

was wondering if any other emetophobes get nervous or start to panic a little when someone in the house gets up from bed late at night and goes to the bathroom? I start thinking 'Please don't throw up, please don't throw up'

Even though it never happens, I still worry that it may happen one time.
So was just wondering if any other emetophobe felt this way too?

Thanks.

Starmist
16-11-12, 23:11
Hi there!
I feel like this sometimes. I live with my partner and he often has quite scary dreams and sits bolt upright in bed. He also sometimes wakes up coughing and I fear he's going to be sick that's why he's coughing! Sometimes if he coughs more than once in the night I get up and go and sleep on the sofa. He also likes to go out drinking with the boys, so I make him sleep in the spare room or again I sleep on the sofa incase he's sick from the drink.

However after being with him for 4 years he has never been sick from drinking or an illness so I think myself lucky, but I still can't relax when he does weird things at night!
Hope this helps :)

Rls1994
17-11-12, 19:25
Hiya again Starmist! Thank you for the reply.

I feel EXACTLY the same as you do! It causes me to have mild panic attacks whenever I hear someone rush to the bathroom all of the sudden, but no one is ever sick, yet I'm constantly worrying it might just happen one day. :weep: I take my MP3 player to bed with me these days, so I don't have to hear anything. Thankfully, I am still able to sleep even with music playing.

Angelai
17-11-12, 21:18
Hi, I get really scared/panicky if someone gets up in the night too - I lie there, listening (WHY???)

Starmist
18-11-12, 18:05
It's weird! I can't tell my partner why I get up in the nights sometimes! I just say he's been snoring or I wasn't tired! It was weird when I lived at home as I never felt like this.. I lived with my parents and my sister and as a family we're not a 'sicky' family, but I guess it was being put with my partner in our own house although i've known him for 4 years I don't really know his habits? Well that's why I try and convince myself anyways :P

I haven't slept very well for the last year so I'm always the one awake first and asleep last, but like I say never in 4 years and I am indeed 'touching wood' :)

Tessar
18-11-12, 18:30
in short yes I do!! There's only my partner in the house with me but if they spend too long in the bathroom i start to panic. Ridiculous i know but i find myself doing the listening thing as well angelai. i have panics like this at work too if a colleague seems to go awol.... i end up thinking the worst & then realise they were on a personal phonecall or something. what a waste of my energy!!!!!! oh, my partner has a thing with their inner ear that causes dizziness (& nausea). that absolutely freaks me; last time i spent a whole afternoon at working panicking about going home because they'd had an attck earlier in the day. even tho they'd been fine & were able to go out for a meal, i was still stressing when they got in that evening.

missybct
27-11-12, 17:20
I know how you feel! Even if it's a tiny cough in the night, I freak out. I used to live with a few people who were party animals, and would come home at all hours - I would end up lying in my bed listening to hear if they would be sick. Fortunately it didn't happen very often!

Rls1994
28-11-12, 00:59
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Even if it's just the slightest movement or groan or whatever I panic a little. Nothing ever happens though lol... This is why I listen to music in bed now. Luckily, I can still sleep to the sound of music. :)

Tessar
28-11-12, 12:45
Even if it's a tiny cough in the night, I freak out..... lying in my bed listening to hear if they would be sick. Fortunately it didn't happen very often!

Yep, that's how I felt too. Anything, anytime that sounds remotely like it, I immediately have an adrenaline rush. Often it's nothing of the kind but my mind automatically associates with it. I'm quite surprised actually that i've been posting on here....as that means thinking about it.

MaryMac
30-11-12, 21:39
When my emet was REALLY bad, everything used to set me off. Certain things still do. I hate when people say I look pale. Then I start to worry if I'm ill or going to be ill. When people cough, it sets me off. If I'm out for dinner and the person doesn't finish their meal or want a dessert, I start to worry! It's ridiculous what this phobia can do to you.

Rls1994
30-11-12, 21:49
Hi MaryMac!

I can totally relate to your post. My friend at college used to always mention if I looked pale and it made me worse. I didn't tell them about it as I was afraid they would think I'm silly.

It was pretty bad earlier for me when I went shopping. Someone was bent over and my heart started pounding and I began to panic, but all they were doing was looking for something small they had dropped. Ugh, it's crazy!

Tessar
01-12-12, 07:49
Hi MaryMac!

Someone was bent over and my heart started pounding and I began to panic, but all they were doing was looking for something small they had dropped. Ugh, it's crazy!

the cough thing triggers me sometimes, depends on how bad the cough sounds!
good old panic stations; i'd quite like to be a normal person who just doesnt notice these things..... i dont think i'm as bad as i was either... its just too consuming if you think about it all the time!