PDA

View Full Version : Starting Setraline

Mistyfog
12-11-12, 12:00
My doctor has prescribed me Setraline for anxiety, panic attacks and mild depression.
I've not had to guts to start taking the medication yet as I'm so worried about any medication side effects.

Years ago I was prescribed Prozac (fluoxetine) and was fine. I was then prescribed the same medication a few years later and had terrible side effects even though was ok the first time around.

I was then prescribed Citalopram and the side effects were even worst and I had to stop taking them after a week as it was that bad. I then decided to manage without medication as I could not cope with the side effects.

Went to see my GP last week and she said to start Setraline. She said out of many medications for SSRI, Setraline is more widely tolerated.

Just wondered if this is true and she also advised maybe starting on half a 50mg tablet for a couple if weeks if I was concerned about side effects.

Just wondered if anyone can offer some advice, especially if anyone has taken other ssri and got on better with the Setraline.

AnxiousBaker
12-11-12, 14:21
Hello Mistyfog, I can relate to the Prozac thing. The first time i used this it was brilliant, then about 3 weeks ago i was back on it and the side effects were so bad i was in hospital. Massive difference! Then last week my GP also said i should give sertraline a go and today was my first day taking it. 9am this morning with my breakfast i took 50mg and so far the only thing i have is a mild headache..not even worth taking anything for.
Only the first tablet i know but far more encouraging than many SSRI`s i have tried! My GP said it is one of the top 3 if you like that are better tolerated.
I say you try it and don`t be scared..if it doesn`t work you can always go see your GP again and try something new.

Good luck!:)

Mistyfog
12-11-12, 14:33
Thank you for your reply. I know what you mean about the side effects, the last time I started with the Citalopram I was terrible just really scared of getting side effects like that again. Being in hospital due to its side effects must of been awful.

I have read this drug is more widely accepted and more tolerable which is good news.

Are there better times to take in morning or evening? I'm sleeping terrible at the moment.

I may start with the half of a 50mg tablet and see how it goes.

AnxiousBaker
12-11-12, 19:07
Personally i take my medication in the morning with some food. Unless told otherwise by my GP. You will know how to take and when to take once you start and see how your body reacts. We are all different on that score. It`s why no cast iron guarantee can be given about how good a drug is.

less panic
13-11-12, 15:30
My GP told me to take it mid morning, and take it at the same time everyday. Also found I felt less sick if I had something to eat shortly afterwards. I did find myself feeling very thirsty and have taken to drinking fizzy water.