PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone

Gabby
16-08-06, 13:51
Hi all

I've just found this site whilst trawling the net for something that might give some support when I feel anxious (which is frequently!!).

I started having proper panic attacks when I was 18 - triggered by university? - but I've had a 'nervous stomach' every since I can remember. I can recall going on hols aged about 7 and being so scared I would be sick for the journey there, most of the time when I got there and the journey back. My main problems are with travelling - long journeys by car esp motorway, and any distance by trains, planes and boats. I cant even bear to stand on a railway platform and hear the trains go in and out.

I was on Beta blockers from age 18 til I became pregnant at 20. Came off them for nearly 2 years then developed post natal depression along with the anxiety. Wa son Seroxat for about 3 years, then changed to Ven lafaxine (Effexor) as Seroxat didnt seem to be working. Have had counselling when I was 23 which helped me to work out where a lot of the anxiety is rooted. Currently work in a Mental Health NHS TRust, where I have made lots of lovely and supportive friends who have been able to point me in the right direction for self help methods, basic CBT methods etc. I seem (fingers crossed) to be able to keep the full blown attacks at bay at the moment although I pretty much hate myself for allowing even the minor physical symptoms to terrify me as much as they do. I know they can't harm me but I feel like a bit of a failure for letting it rule my life

I have been having a read through a lot of your posts and its so incredibly heartening to see that the things that I go through and that feel so ridiculous when I think back on them after the event are not just peculiar to me and that so many of you seem to finding ways to get through it.

I feel exceptionally bad today because I am trying to look after my child and a friend's although am in tears cos am terrified at the thought that contracts have just been exchanged on my first house.

Hope to speak to you all soon

Gabby

trac67
16-08-06, 13:59
Hi Gabby,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
16-08-06, 14:15
Welcome Aboard, Gabby.

You certainly seem to be taking some positive steps to overcome this.

Take Care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

manmoor
16-08-06, 14:35
Hi Gabby,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandy

xx

giddy
16-08-06, 15:23
Welcome to the forum Gabby
love Helen

hayles
16-08-06, 15:29
Hi gabby.
Welcome and good luck with the house.

Hay x

Mateyface
16-08-06, 16:19
Hi Gabby
a big welcome to you.
Hugs
San x

Sans

nicjay
16-08-06, 19:09
Hi Gabby

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of support here.

Nicola
xxx

Lindalou64
16-08-06, 19:53
welcome gabby hope you will find support on nmp i did tg..........
Linda tc xx[8D]

honeybee3939
16-08-06, 20:10
Hi Gabby !!

A Big Welcome to you !!

Love

Andrea
xxx

carly123
16-08-06, 20:32
Hi Gabby,

Welcome to NMP and why so sad about the house?!

Best Wishes
xx

Gabby
16-08-06, 21:14
Have posted another topic about the house! Basically have problems when I feel expectations are on me i.e. I need to be able to pay the bills to keep the house and support my daughter.

I also just wanted to say that its my first day on the site and I love it so much!! I feel 2 million times better than I did this morning just from reading more and more of the posts and finding out that I'm not alone!! I know the GPs etc always tell you that but its nice to see that I'm not the only one who gets ectopic heart beats, IBS, tingling, depression, funny taste in mouth etc etc The list goes on.

Thank you to every single person who has been posting on this site!! If its helping me after one day, I cant imagine how much its supporting people who have been visiting for ages!!

G x

polly daydream
17-08-06, 00:02
Hi Gabby and welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,

Polly

twiglet
17-08-06, 09:46
Hi gabby,
you'll get great support here, and make some lovely friends along the way.
take care.....
love,
twiglet

IanB
17-08-06, 14:36
Hi Gabby,

A warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Ian

"today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well"

nomorepanic
19-08-06, 16:45
Hi Gabby

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola