PDA

View Full Version : Help and advise. Diazapam

Charlee123
12-11-12, 17:52
On day 7 of sertraline and my anxiety is beyond a joke. Rung doctor and he perscribed me diazapam for the mean time to help. Im nervou to take them. Do they help?

Annie0904
12-11-12, 17:54
They do help and are good for short term use.

Charlee123
12-11-12, 17:57
When you say help what do they do exactly?

ricardo
12-11-12, 18:10
When you say help what do they do exactly?

they will calm you down a lot possibly make you tired at first but they have an active life of 5 hours and should be used as short term relief. (sorry Annie:hugs:)

Annie0904
12-11-12, 18:12
They help to calm you down and make you feel make more relaxed. I am guessing you have just been given a low dose. Mine are 2mg and I only take them when my anxiety is really bad.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

they will calm you down a lot possibly make you tired at first but they have an active life of 5 hours and should be used as short term relief. (sorry Annie:hugs:)
No problem ricardo..I was a bit slow replying...not having a good day today :)

AnxiousBaker
12-11-12, 18:13
As others have said they will calm you down which will ease away the anxiety symptoms. What strength did your GP prescribe?

Ats666
12-11-12, 18:19
They are very good at treating the anxiety symptoms in the short term. May make you drowsy initially but this soon wears off. Hope they help you :hugs:

Charlee123
12-11-12, 18:29
I think its just 2mg three times a day. I pick them up tomorrow. X

Annie0904
12-11-12, 18:43
It is a low dose but they will help you relax more.

ricardo
12-11-12, 19:30
It is a low dose but they will help you relax more.

that is a very low dose

Charlee123
12-11-12, 19:53
Oh, will it not make a difference then?? Im not sure how many mg as he perscribed it over the phone.

Annie0904
12-11-12, 19:56
It will make a difference yes, mine are 2mg and I only take them if my anxiety is really bad and just 1 x2mg tablet relaxes me and gives me some relief. I often take one before travelling (so long as it is not me driving!!!) Don't take one if you are going to drive.

Hope73
12-11-12, 20:03
I find 2mg doesn't do anything so I take two bringing it up to 4mg and this helps much more I only use when absolutely necessary though I can see how they could become addictive :blush:...

Charlee123
12-11-12, 20:11
Ive been told to have 3 a day as i have constant anxiety. I also take propranalol to help with physical symptoms.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Hope73 what do they feel like when you take them? Is it quick or does it take a fee weeks to get into your system properly?

Annie0904
12-11-12, 20:13
They work in about 5 minutes for me :)

Charlee123
12-11-12, 20:15
5 mins?! Wow thats good! I hope im ok on them. Bit nervous as its more drugs being pumped in me lol
May i ask how long it lasts for? Sorry for all the questions

Annie0904
12-11-12, 20:19
Like Hope said, I can see how they can become addictive, that is why they should only be taken for a short time. I was prescribed 3 a day but only take one when really necessary and they make me feel relaxed straight away.

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

They last about 5 hours I would say, but once I have calmed down I don't always feel the need to take another. A lot of people use them if they are going abroad and scared of flying.

almamatters
12-11-12, 22:14
I take 2mg for emergency measures. I find they are a great help and relax me when I am really stressed out

ricardo
13-11-12, 07:42
Ive been told to have 3 a day as i have constant anxiety. I also take propranalol to help with physical symptoms.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Hope73 what do they feel like when you take them? Is it quick or does it take a fee weeks to get into your system properly?

Those are the exact two drugs I am on as SSRI and other anti depressants don't agree with me.

I take 2 x 20 mg propranol but I have to admit I am addictived to trankamazin which is the same as valium but four times stronger. I take 2 to 2.25 mg a day in total which amounts to 1.25, 2 mg tablets split during various times of the day.

I have been on these for 7 years without increasing the dose and they still help me and as said by others act very quickly,especially if you put them under your tongue and let them disolve as opposed to swalling them.

I am in no way suggesting anyone else should follow my route but it helps me and that all that matters.

Charlee123
13-11-12, 11:12
Ok just took my first one 2mg an hour ago . I feel so chilled out and alot more like myself i have to admitt i can see why u can get hooked. Its just nice to feel relaxed for a change as i havent been able to in 9 weeks

Annie0904
13-11-12, 11:48
Ok just took my first one 2mg an hour ago . I feel so chilled out and alot more like myself i have to admitt i can see why u can get hooked. Its just nice to feel relaxed for a change as i havent been able to in 9 weeks

They are wonderful :) I only take them when really desperate or to help me through a stressful situation. So pleased it has worked for you :)

Charlee123
13-11-12, 12:28
Yes i have been told to take three a day thou as im always anxious due to persistent uneccasary worry. I feel relaxed but obviously the thoughts still come but i feel less anxious so thats a good start! :-)
I got a bit down last night as my husband said he couldnt take my constant worrying and crying anymore and he said he thinks im going nuts. That hurt me so bad because im not. He just cant understand how anxiety can cause people to act irrationally. Hes never suffered depression or anything before and i have been through crap most of my life. Anorexia, child abuse, depression, OCD, persistant worry of a brain tumour and now i worry over dementia and at sometimes dont want to leave the house.

Annie0904
13-11-12, 12:33
I am lucky to have an understanding husband. He never worries about anything and is so laid back but he can see how I struggle and is very supportive. maybe you can get your hubby to read through some of the links on here so that he may be able to understand it better. You are right, you are not going nuts! I once said to my doctor that I thought I was going mad and he said there is a big difference in going mad and being ill with anxiety. :bighug1: x

Charlee123
13-11-12, 12:47
Yea i said this to my hubby but he cant believe it lol i will have a chat with him later x

ricardo
13-11-12, 18:31
Don't get hooked on them like I did.

Charlee123
13-11-12, 18:59
I wont lol my doc has said this is only a temp relief until i get therapy in december