PDA

View Full Version : Persistent anxiety: I just want it to go away...

derzwerg
12-11-12, 18:15
Hi everyone,

I have often read these forums but this is the first time I have posted. I am 23 and I started suffering from anxiety about 4 years ago. I had very bad anxious episodes every time I had a girlfriend; I would obsess about whether she really liked me or whether I really liked her, and it would make me very anxious. This anxiety would often culminate in persistent vomiting as a symptom and a relationship ending. I don't know whether this vomiting was to do with the fact I was on Citalopram and occasionally had a few beers (I never really drunk much anyway).

Then a year ago I met a girl who I really fell in love with, she is kind, understanding, etc. But she moved away due to her job and we are now in a distance relationship which I find very anxiety-provoking. I went back to my doctor who said that Citalopram wasn't helping. I am now weaning off of it (30mg to 20mg for a week, then 20mg 10 for a week, then 10 every other day), but I feel terrible now that I'm down to 10mg. Maybe this is because my body has been used to another dose for a long period of time?

I guess I wanted to ask people out there if they felt Citalopram ever really hindered rather than helped their anxiety? I never used to vomit from anxiety before Citalopram, I now have a dry mouth and an everpresent lump in my throat. The doctor has changed me over to Venlafaxine which I am supposed to start taking in 10 days time. I am concerned about taking it because I am so aware that Citalopram really hasn't helped me and I don't want to go through it all again with another medication. But at the same time I'd do anything to feel better.

I have so much to live for and so many things I love and enjoy in life. If only I could get past this anxiety first.

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Derzwerg

tamo
13-11-12, 09:31
Hi Derz

Everyone is different with regards to meds , Personally I couldn't tolerate any of them . My own experience with general anxiety only ever improved when I got my breathing and thinking correct ,CBT worked well. I found a positive shift in consciousness when I took a spiritual approach such as meditation . It,s ALL to do with how we think about things .Try and find some self help material , get educated on this anxiety business and you will be free, it,s a habit of negative thinking triggering responses in the body .

Best Wishes