PDA

View Full Version : CBT

SHERLOCK
16-08-06, 16:05
Hi, I'm suffering with Anxiety and feel awful didn't know you could feel so ill, mornings seem to be the worst time, and I'm frit to death to go out of the gate,and when I do I feel that dizzy, shopping is a nightmare just wondered what they do at the CBT clinics.

missacorah
16-08-06, 17:06
Hi there. I am suffering too. I am now at the stage where I can shop locally in small shops reasonably comfortably but still hate supermarkets ( I am going this evening and feel sick just thinking about it). Baby steps is the key and to set your self tiny relitic targets - only you know how much you feel comfortable trying.

I cant help you with the CBT info as I too am waiting to go if the tablets I have started taking today dont work. I have heard its really helpful though. i know someone on the forum will be well equipped to tell you exactly what it is.

juju
16-08-06, 17:51
hi
im on tabs and doing cbt. cbt is cognitive behaviour therapy and is great. what you do is when a neg thought/feeling comes which creates the anxiety, you then confront it, and answer that thought with a more realistic or true thought. it really does work but you have to persevere with it. to me it is better than any meds
hope this helps
juju

we are all stronger people after having this

Gabby
16-08-06, 20:47
Hi

I also do CBT and whole heartedly recommend it. I have seen the techniques described in a number of self help books - they dont call it CBT but the principles are the same.

My previous counsellor described it as making the 'parent' in me talk to the 'child' in me. I had to imagine what I would say to my daughter if she came to me describing what it was I was feeling. It really really has helped me.

G

Gabby
16-08-06, 21:26
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Sherlock - this link might give you some info to start with. Its from the royal college of psychiatrists web site. its a brief intro to what sessions would 'look' like

G

charlieh
03-09-06, 13:39
Hi there
I recently visited a CBT for 3 sessions and found it useful. The basic premise id that you have to help yourself with the CBT providing the tools and the explanations as to why you feel the way you do. They will tell you that there are 2 scenarios the here and now and the there and then It is living in the there and then that creates the problems as you are dwelling on the problems. Try to live in the here and now, telling yourself that you always get through whatever you are going through or feeling. Remain positive and live for today. Try reading about the part played by the amygdala in the brain which will give you an insight into what CBTs believe has a big part to play in depression and anxiety
good luck and live for today

chpopeye