PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Robertomac
08-06-04, 18:56
Hi Everyone

Glad I came across this site!

My name is Rob and I am 24 years old. I was diagnosed by my doctor as having panic attacks about two and a half moths ago. However, now I know what they are, I might have been having them for a lot longer.

It started for me after a heavy nights drinking on a saturday night for my birthday, I was still feeling groggy on the monday morning at work. All of a sudden whilst sat at my desk I was overwhelmed with a feeling that things weren't real. This caused me to panic big time. I felt sick, went pale, my throat felt swollen so I couldn't swallow and I was very, very scared. Of what, I don't know?

As I said, I had experienced a similar feeling before following heavy nights out, so I got through it and put it down to that, as I always had done in the past. No problem, I thought.

Then the same thing happened two days later. Without a heavy drinking session to blame, I became very depressed and very scared very quickly. What was wrong with me? Was I going mad? My life descended out of control very fast. I stopped going out, I stopped playing football, I struggled to smile etc.

I am still not over it, not by a long way, but I have had a lot of reassurance from websites such as this, they are an absolute godsend.

The things about panic I find hardest to deal with are the feelings of derealisation and the chest pains. Derealisation because it is so frightening and the chest pains because you think you are on the verge of a heart attack all the time.

I am going back to the doctor tomorrow. I am going to ask him to perform whatever medical tests on me he can so I can have the peace of mind that I am young, fit, healthy and now about to die at any moment!

Rob

Meg
08-06-04, 19:02
Hi Rob,

Ask for an ECG and a thyroid screen for starters. He may think you too low risk but you can try ..

Have you read 'First Steps' On the introduction section of this forum or on the website itself where there is bags of information .

Many, manys peoples first panics are post a night out ..You are not alone. There is nothing on your post that is not extremly familiar for us here.

Are you back playing Footie and out and about ?

You can get over this...

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
08-06-04, 19:19
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site!! I'm quite new here myself and I have found this site very helpful - everyone is so friendly!! I went through a similar thing to you in that my first panic attack happened after a night of heavy drinking. As if the hangover wasn't bad enough!! That was a year ago and it has been a pretty hectic journey but I coped. You sound pretty positive about things despite the problems you're having. Staying positive is definetly the most important thing. Let us know how things go.
Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

sarah
08-06-04, 19:21
Hi Rob

Welcome to the site.
Im glad you have been diagnosed properly and now know the panic attacks for what they are. Lets hope that any tests you get done can put your mind at ease eh?
Thanks for posting and let us know how you get on at the doctors!

take care
Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

imported_n/a
08-06-04, 19:32
hiya rob,,

nice to see some more blokes here,,
sorry to hear about your problems mate but you WILL get great advice and support here ,,
i have only been here aabout 2 months myself and i have seen an improvement in myself,,

i have had all your symptoms the feeling of unreal was the worst for me as i live alone and until i found this site i had kept all these feelings to myself for nearly 10 years,,
but now i have told my mum and getting help off her now,,all cause of this site,,

so anytime you wanna get in touch mail me ok,,,

all the best mate

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""

xxxxdarrenxxxx

nomorepanic
08-06-04, 20:11
Hi Rob

My panic attacks started after a heavy night drinking as well!!

That was 11 years ago. The docs left mine unchecked for so long and just told me it was stress etc. That is why I wrote this site - cos I got no help atall in the early days.

I am pleased that you are going to the docs to get this "knocked on the head" quickly.

Please take some time to read the info on the site and ask us any questions you want to.

Good to see you here.

Nicola

gingerone
09-06-04, 01:27
hi rob
christina here my panic attack was a day after a heavy drink 2 a bottle of brandy jd 2 bottles of wine lol. i was drinking alot with the girl friends not spending time with my boyfriend i was changing alot and i got upset sometimes felt bad and then the panic attack came along and changed me. I has changed me forever i dont drink now for no reason but my first panic attack was 2 and half weeks ago and it is still with me. but i no how u feel and i hope u get better and i am here to help love christina x

c j giff

apm
09-06-04, 11:08
Hi Rob- well done for finding the site- great source of solace and wisdom.
I had my first attack in March, and like you quickly found out what was going on (I also had a couple of mild anxiety attacks before the big one, not realised what they were). Once you understand what's happening, it does make it easier, and just a few small coping strategies can be very powerful weapons.

Keep the faith,

Alex.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

Robertomac
09-06-04, 16:07
Hi Everyone

Just been to the doctor's. He listend to my heart, my chest whilst breathing and took my blood pressure. He said (as I knew deep down anyway, but could not quite convince myself!)I am young healthy and very fit and that heart attacks do not affect people like me at my time in life! VERY reassuring to hear from a doctor.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. It is a real comfort to hear from people who can sympathise with the feelings, both physically and emotionally, of this bloody awful illness.

I am going to carry on playing football, squash and running. I am determined to not let this ruin my lifestyle and enjoyment. I am going to enter for the Robin Hood Half Marathon in September. Does anyone know of a related charity for which I could try and raise some money?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rob

sarah
09-06-04, 19:05
Hiya Rob

Brilliant news from the doctor eh?
Hopefully it will set your mind more at ease!
Good on you for carrying on with the exercise, its the best thing we can do for ourselves for alleviating panic..gets rid of all pent up adrenaline.
I believe 'No Panic' is a charity organisation who might be interested but I dont know much about them. Maybe someone else on here (Nic??) can be of more help.

Take care
Love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

nomorepanic
09-06-04, 19:33
Hi Rob

Good news on the doc front - I hope it eases your mind now.

As for the marathon - well good luck and I bet that takes a lot of training.

As for a charity - well you can give it to me to help fund the cost of this site [:p]:)

Only kidding, I am not a registered charity.

I support No Panic that Sarah mentioned so they would be really pleased of the help. A few people on here are doing or have done their telephone recovery group which has helped immensely.

Check out the website at:

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/

Nicola

Meg
10-06-04, 16:46
Dera Rob,

Glad you went and got checked out and reassured. Are you smiling again yet ?

Good luck with the running ..I live near Nottingham so may watch you go by.

Meg

april tones
10-06-04, 16:50
hi rob, the feeling your not there is my worst symptom. Its scary! i feel like im fading away and dying and no one can help. any think you want to ask just say. Have you got support? april

apriltones