PDA

View Full Version : Are these anxiety symptoms? Need reassurance

evernon
13-11-12, 21:50
Hi, this is my first post here so I hope I'm putting it in the right place. Basically I've had anxiety on and off for the past 7 years. I had it under control for a good 3 years recently, and it really didn't bother me at all, I almost forgot I'd ever had it, it was wonderful. However recently my life has become very difficult and stressful. I'm going through a very painful/angry breakup, and I also am working a job I really hate and I've been worried on a constant basis about what I'm going to do with my life now, and I've found my anxiety coming back. However some of the symptoms I'm having seem different to last time, and its making me worry that its something else.

The scariest symptom I have is that I get times when I get panicky/anxious and then I can't seem to concentrate or put my thoughts together properly. Its like I can't think, and my mind goes strange and blank, and the thoughts don't make sense. It really frightens me, and then I end up panicking even more. I also keep getting times when I have this nagging 'bad feeling' just niggling at me, and I can't figure out why its there, I just feel bad like something bad has happened (but nothing has). Then the worst of my symptoms is feeling like I can't see properly. I get spaced out/light headed and I feel like I'm in a vacuum... like I can't focus my eyes on anything, I get tunnel vision, and start to feel like I'm not really there and I can't remember who I am/where I am. Of course this makes me panic more and makes my heart race and I feel like I'm going to literally pass out. It happened at work today and I got a pounding headache afterwards, and I'm really scared its more than just anxiety. But then I convince myself it is anxiety because when I get these symptoms I feel very anxious and can't relax. I have always had issues with health anxiety so I keep worrying there's something worse wrong with me :(

Please can anyone give me reassurance? Have you had similar symptoms? Do you find your symptoms can change with each separate bout of anxiety? I'm really scared :( I told myself I'd never let anxiety rule my life again but here its is!!!

susan1963
13-11-12, 22:18
hiya, yes they certinley can change over time, mine has there are certain anxiety symptoms that i dont get anymore but ive got a couple of new ones for example i dont have hyperventilation or headaches but im now fixated on my throat as its the first time ive ever had it, thinking its going to close from the tightness also my stomach is now suffering and i have acid reflux as ive never had these before im scared that something is going to happen to me, anxiety is awfall when its got a hold on you

Annie0904
14-11-12, 09:51
What you are describing sounds like typical symptoms of anxiety and if you look at other posts you will see that most people experience many of the symptoms that you mentioned.

evernon
14-11-12, 19:08
Thanks for your responses. I did actually have a read through some of the other threads on this forum, but no one seemed to be describing symptoms quite like mine, or saying that their symptoms had changed like mine seem to have done. I'm glad to know that's normal though, and that my symptoms are normal too. Unfortunately when its inside my head and I find it so hard to really explain how I feel to anyone else, I just feel like I'm the only person who feels that way.

agnes
15-11-12, 19:56
Hello evernon...I've experienced very similar feelings to the ones you describe. And I'm finding that my symptoms can change. When I first started with anxiety, it was fear of not being able to breathe, a few years later it was fear of not being able to swallow, which is what I'm experiencing during this current period. In fact today, I've had both and I'm amazed at how swiftly the symptoms can change...in one day!

The one thing I'm grateful for is that I can't seem to experience more than one at a time...I might zoom to another symptom really quickly but it doesn't seem possible to be anxious about more than one at a time. I suppose there are small mercies in everything!

LindsayD
15-11-12, 20:08
Hi Agnes, Ive been 'almost' panic free for four years and then 3 weeks ago I developed toncillitis and it really run me down. Im still suffering with my throat now and even though the doctors told me it had been really nasty infection and could take a few weeks to get back to normal, all my old anxiety fears returned. I am now back on beta-blockers as I have got myself so worked up that I can't swallow and i'm going to choke. It's so awful, one minute I can tell myself that it's a sore throat and i'm being silly and the next its like the world is going to end and I don't know how much longer I can go on feeling like this :(

agnes
15-11-12, 21:08
I know what you mean, so well, Lindsay. You've described how it is exactly for me, too. I've been getting along fairly well for the past couple of years and then, last week my sore throat started and that led to the swallowing/choking fears again. I'm trying hard not to be cross with myself because that won't help at all, but, like you, I keep going from the anxiety to the "it's just a sore throat" and back again. I hadn't actually forgotten what the anxiety was like but it was a real shock when it hit me again.

Sending you hugs and confidence...we'll get through it.

LindsayD
15-11-12, 21:20
I keep telling myself that. Have you read the Dr Claire Weeks book? This was a really big help to me last time and she says it will never be as bad as your first experience because at least now you have the knowledge that you can recover and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I keep trying to hold onto that thought but sometimes it's just so frightening.

Big hugs back, and thank you, it's so good to know that there is someone who understands xxx

agnes
15-11-12, 21:29
That's just it, Lindsay, knowing that someone else understands how you feel...it can be so isolating because most people can't relate to it. Whilst I wish you well from the bottom of my heart, it was really comforting
for me to read your post and to know that I'm not alone in my fears.

Yes, Claire Weekes' books are brilliant. :hugs: