PDA

View Full Version : Still having issues - help

jumpwomble
14-11-12, 14:52
I still can't seem to shake off this anxious feeling. I know it's pretty stupid because the GP just said it was otitis externs, a simple outer ear infection, and sent me to an ENT when I felt as if it had come back after a course of antibiotic ear drops. Everything cleared up when I went to see the ENT though, and the ENT said he couldn't see anything. I was nervous as hell for the appointment, panicking over all sorts of things. He sent me for a hearing test and impedance test to check my middle ear was ok and everything came back fine. I wasn't reassured by the ENT appointment as the doc was brisk and dismissive, but at least I felt normal again.... but for days afterwards I seemed to feel really edgy, terrified the symptoms would return.

I was googling all sorts of incurable but rare conditions and matching them to my symptoms until I made the people around me quite sick and tired of me, to be honest.

Anyway a few days after seeing the ENT and having everything return to normal, I decided to go and see my physio for my long-standing neck problems. The reason I get so worked up about my ears is that I got tinnitus a few years ago, and the ENT didn't help me one bit. In the end I found out that it was down to my extremely tense neck muscles - the physio told me that I was like a block of wood! :scared15: Anyway I see a physio once every month on average to make sure my neck doesn't get that bad again; I have bad posture and work at computers, so... I flare up every now and again.

Anyway it was a very uncomfortable physio session... I like my physio but he is a man of few words! For some reason, every time he pressed down on my neck I could hear a whooshing noise in my ear, like there was a muscle spasm or something (best way I can describe it, I truly don't know). I've been to the physio countless times and yet this was probably the first time I'd heard it but for some reason I didn't mention it to him because I felt he might be dismissive. Anyway a day after that, as I was achy and sore after the session, I thought my ear felt a bit clogged up again. Naturally I panicked, since I was fearing a recurrence all along... but the clogged feeling wasn't as bad as when I had an infection. But it has been feeling a bit strange, off and on, for the past few days.

I have booked another appointment to see my physio to tell him what happened last week and to see if he can help me, but I'm so afraid that he will either make the problem worse again, or get defensive and tell me he doesn't know what I'm talking about. It's hard to distract myself as I keep feeling something is not right all the time, and yet it's hard to describe.
:weep:
Feeling really down over this! For the past 4 years my HA issues have centred on my ears!

robin321
14-11-12, 19:24
I think that the most likely thing is that anxiety contributed to your ear noise/feelings. This doesn't mean the whooshing isn't real, but if you pay attention to it, this magnifies it and makes it seem worse.

I have noticed this with my body. If I sit here and pay attention to my foot, I can feel things. My toe hurts a little, I feel tingly, etc.. Most of the time I don't even notice this.

So chances are it is anxiety. But worst case is an ear infection, or maybe some small ear problem. I doubt it is serious, especially since you saw the ENT, had the hearing test... etc...