PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Mirtazapine - Anyone else?

tessasuzanne
15-11-12, 15:39
Hi guys,

I went to see my doctor this week as my anxiety has got increasingly worse over the past 2 months, to the point where I feel can't go on the way I am. I'm weepy all the time and it is having a major impact on my home life and now beginning to be an issue at work too.

The doctor recommended swapping from 20mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazapine straight away (i.e. he didn't suggest weening me off one and weening me on to the other) This doesn't bother me as I'm willing to do anything to make this ruddy anxiety go away! I'm just wondering really if anyone else has swapped from citalopram to mirtazipine and how they found it? Was there much difference? Was it better? Were the side affects horrible?

Any experiences/information would be much appreciated!

Tess x

tessasuzanne
17-11-12, 15:56
Hi again,
Thought I would re-post this incase any newbies hadn't seen it...

BobbyDog
17-11-12, 20:31
I switched from Citalopram to Mirtazapine some years ago now, I don't remember getting withdrawal symptoms from Citalopram, but I was in a good place with my anxiety at the time. I do recall being quite sedated during the day when I first started taking Mirtazapine, that didn't last very long, a week or two. I switched because of my ongoing insomnia and the Mirtazapine took care of that. It is worth a try.

NoPoet
18-11-12, 15:08
Yes, I did it 11 months ago and haven't regretted it for a second. Much improved sleep, vastly reduced side effect profile, but saps your energy and you'll gain weight. Mirt is known for being one of the easiest meds for your body to tolerate.

JT69
18-11-12, 17:39
Hello,

I also swopped around 3 years ago...mirtazipine has been the best AD I have ever taken.

I cannot pretend I didnt experience withdrawal effects from cit as I did...I had to reduce down in 1 week (I was on 40mg) then start mirtazipine and I had a pretty bad time doing that...I had the head shocks really badly. Having said all that after a couple of weeks I had settled and mirtazipine has been brilliant and totally got me out of a very dark place!!

Go for it...you have nothing to lose...you will get plenty of support if you post on the mirtazipine threads as a few of us have or do take it.

Good luck...I hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Jo.x

tessasuzanne
19-11-12, 09:39
Hello Bobby Dog, Psycho Poet and JT69!
Thank you all so much for replying!
So far the mirt seems to be doing its job, I've been sleeping a lot better which has resulted in a much clearer and rational head in the mornings and throughout the day! I'm also enjoying having my appetite back, although I am very conscious about putting on weight so I'm going to try and start exercising again, and curb my cravings by eating fruit and healthy snacks!
The worst part so far has been the withdrawal effects from the citalopram, mainly head shocks and slightly increased anxiety at times. What I have found though is that the sedative affect of the mirt has helped me to not get carried away with the anxiety I've been feeling, which in return has given me new confidence!
I am aware it is still early days, and it is possible to have a set back after a couple of weeks, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it!
Can I also ask you guys if you drink alcohol whilst taking mirt? I know it says to avoid alcohol, but with Christmas and New Year approaching I will be gutted if I can't enjoy a few drinks :(
Thanks again for the replies! Wishing you all a Happy Monday!
Tess x

NoPoet
19-11-12, 21:34
I don't want to think of the horror I went through getting back onto cit. Coming off it didn't make me any worse as the mirt provided a couple of game-changing benefits straight away, like my improved sleep and returning appetite. Quite frankly I was in such a state of anxiety I could not have got any worse - withdrawal effects or not.

I have drunk while taking mirt and noticed no side effects whatsoever. I rarely drink but it was a free bar. The sensation of being drunk, the impact this has on dexterity (ie making you clumsy) and the hangover were all normal and there was no sense of depression during the hangover. You aren't supposed to drink while on mirt though so try to avoid it where possible.

You won't have setbacks for a couple of weeks, you'll have them for months unless you are extremely good at dealing with things (in which case, you probably wouldn't have an anxiety disorder!). They come less and less, and last for shorter periods of time, as you learn to cope with them. They're still very nasty though, otherwise they wouldn't be a blip.

Blip management is a vital part of recovery as it teaches you the skills to prevent relapse.