PDA

View Full Version : OCD at the heart of emetophobia?

jennielouises
15-11-12, 21:23
I have had OCD most of my life but it got worse when I was 14 (i'm now 26). My OCD is contamination especially when it comes to bodily fluids. When I was 16 it focused on sick (though I am afraid of contamination from other things like poo) and I believed I had emetophobia. But I saw my CBT therapist today and she feels that the OCD is at the heart of it. Thinking about it, I'm not actually afraid of being sick itself, its the feeling of contamination after. Before I am sick it is the fear of feeling contaminated after not a fear of being sick. I don't think I actually fear the act of vomiting anymore than the next person, it is all about the contamination. So do you think that means it is OCD and I should be approaching my therapy from that angle?

vicky23
16-11-12, 12:15
it certainly sounds like if you were to work on the root- i.e. your fear of contamination through CBT then emet wouldn't be a prob for you anymore because if you learned to deal with the fear of coming into contact with bodily fluids then IF you did get sick it would be unpleasant but not fearful
Dealing with contamination OCD is certainly not easy! but I think it'll be worth it!
Best wishes