PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else feel that their depression came after anxiety?

kaliesque
16-11-12, 10:40
now my anxiety has subsided, my depression seems to have got worse. i can't figure out if i was already depressed (but it was masked by the extreme physical symptoms of anxiety) or if i was already depressed or if some chemical change happened in my brain which caused depression. i am 99% sure it is chemical because i always feel best in the evenings when serotonin is supposed to be at its highest.

Annie0904
16-11-12, 10:42
I am the same...I have had really bad anxiety and still feel a little anxious although some of the symptoms have gone but I do feel really depressed. x

BobbyDog
16-11-12, 14:01
I think that I have always suffered from depression, I can remember as a child locking myself away in my room in the evening moping, not wanting to be around people or talk, that behavior continued into adulthood. The anxiety came later when I had a "breakdown", although I had experienced panic attacks before that, but only a couple of times.

Richard1960
16-11-12, 14:17
Difficult one to answer but i have suffered with anxiety/panic attacks for years and feel my depression could be a by product of that,everything under control at the moment but once i get anxious i also tend to get depressed very quickly.

I have also had a couple of breakdowns over this one 9-10 years ago,and one mini breakdown this year due to problems at work.

I too have the same where i feel better in the evenings then the mornings,no doubt a lot of it is down to chemical reactions in the brain.

Richard.

MargaretHale
17-11-12, 13:59
I'm starting to think that my anxiety has alleviated a little, but turned into a depression of sorts. I hate feeling like this as I love life and have so much to be thankful for.

I'm trying exercise, even if it's just the Wii. And I bought a DVD to learn clog dancing. My neighbour is going to hate me :D

MissHDynamite
17-11-12, 14:03
lol Margaret.. I hope you haven't got wooden floors! :D

MargaretHale
17-11-12, 16:43
I have! :D (but she plays Dolly Parton at all hours of the day and night so it's a bit of revenge!)

JT69
18-11-12, 17:34
Soooooooooo funny!!:D

Richard1960
19-11-12, 08:02
I have! :D (but she plays Dolly Parton at all hours of the day and night so it's a bit of revenge!)

Dolly Parton.:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Richard.

Trudi87
19-11-12, 08:16
The following time I read a phorum, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, but I truly thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you could possibly repair in case you werent too busy searching for attention. Wonderful!

BobbyDog
19-11-12, 08:22
The following time I read a phorum, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, but I truly thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you could possibly repair in case you werent too busy searching for attention. Wonderful!

We help each other.
Sounds like you are the one searching for attention. If you haven't anything nice to say, keep it zipped.:)

ricardo
19-11-12, 08:30
" does anyone else feel that their depression came after anxiety? " in my case a definite yes, yet anxiety was fairly easy to identify but being depressed can have several forms and to me i wasn't aware that I was depressed then or even now. I would say through personal circumstances I felt inwardly sad and alone with my condition.

landymanrob
21-11-12, 12:10
I can say that my anxiety lead to my depression. Didnt realise i was on autopilot for so long, even though i was worn out i kept on going and didnt take a break, then just crashed into depression.

Tara78
25-11-12, 19:49
i suffered from anxiety for years, with sporadic bouts of panic attacks. It became so 'normal' for me I didn't ever stop (as landymanrob says) - I finally had nothing left in the tank but was still carrying on as usual. I ended up having a major crash in to depression.
I have been better for a while, but still have 'blips' and when these happen I worry that it will end in a serious depression again.
Anyone ever feel that this stuff really is a day by day thing? I don't know if it's because I still remember how bad it got as it was only a couple of years ago, but I still don't feel like I can say that everything is always going to be okay, even after a few months of being well.

It helps to focus on things day by day for me.

AnxiousBaker
25-11-12, 21:04
I find the answer to that question a definite yes! Although lately it seems to be depression making the anxiety worse...i am confused as it is at the moment. Some days i dont feel sad or anxious but have a really good excited feeling, like butterflys in my stomach minus the anxiety.Im almost too happy!

almamatters
25-11-12, 21:27
For me depression came after the anxiety. I think it is the struggle of trying to cope with anxiety symptoms and the effect is has on your life, then depression starts to slowly set it. I had no idea I was depressed until people around me began mentioning that I could be.

Thumbelina
25-11-12, 21:37
For me depression came after the anxiety. I think it is the struggle of trying to cope with anxiety symptoms and the effect is has on your life, then depression starts to slowly set it. I had no idea I was depressed until people around me began mentioning that I could be.

There are many symptoms of anxiety and depression that overlap, i was also concerned about it before. Unless your doc have diagnosed you dont selfdiagnose. Feeling down after constant anxiety is because we want to know - why me? Why everybody else around is walking smiling and not bein terrified of somethig that doesnt even exist.
One of the answers to that is that because You are strog enough to deal with all that.
Even if doc tells you have depression its only caused by prolonged anxiety and panic attacks. So as soon as your general anxiety will be going down your mood will also change - so look forward to that!
M.

darawatsons
25-11-12, 22:35
I can say that my anxiety lead to my depression. Didnt realise i was on autopilot for so long, even though i was worn out i kept on going and didnt take a break, then just crashed into depression.

Anxiety and depression is something like cause and effect, sometimes, they both occur at the same time. Also with stress, it seems our problem will be a more difficult though we can still deal with it.

chrisalexander1985
28-11-12, 13:35
Thumbilina - So as soon as your general anxiety will be going down your mood will also change - so look forward to that!
M.[/QUOTE]

I can attest to this. Im currently going through my 3rd '' episode '' as I call them. Each one starts with an anxiety/panick attack and the usual impending fear of doom. For the next month or so I have a more or less constant '' down mood '' constantly thinking about all the little niggles in life that are not that significant....including death. I worry about it constantly hen im like this. But when im normal its not really a big deal. We all go at sometime. Make the best of it just now and deal with the next journey when it comes!! However the low mood causes all these problems to be huge. . In between moods, I get this feeling of being ok, just like I am when typing this. Things dont seem that bad. I feel almost normal. But it is still there :/ Each time this happens, it has lasted about a month. Once the anxiety goes and the panick and worry... the thoughts start to go as well and then it just dissapears.

I still dont know whats actually wrong with me. However, just thought I would let you know that Thumbilina is bang on with what she says above. I have been there, twice and know first hand. No anxiety = No depression.

Good luck! :)

kaliesque
29-11-12, 11:18
wow, i am kinda overwhelmed by the replies!

by what people said, if anxiety leads to depression, then surely when the anxiety goes away, depression too must also fade...for me, i am still dealing with anxiety but it has reduced a LOT, my main concern is depression now.

today is another day, just going to take things step by step.