PDA

View Full Version : Valium and panic!!!!

mandshere2000
16-11-12, 15:20
Hi Is it ok to take 2mgs when going through bad patch
I get so worried about getting addicted, 3 days this week
I have taken 1, 2mg the last one 20 minutes ago....I just hate
having to take them, but it seems to be the only thing stopping
the scary thoughts....panic and DP
Also scared that they will make my depression worse....any advice
please

Annie0904
16-11-12, 15:21
What dose did your doctor prescribe for you?

mandshere2000
16-11-12, 15:32
Hi Annie For the last few months 12 a month 2 mgs ones
to take as and when needed but she always says to only take when really needed
in October I took 9 tablets

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

This month nov taken 4 do far

Annie0904
16-11-12, 15:36
It sounds ok for you to take them, you are being sensible with them and only taking them when you really need to. I was given some by my doctor to help me through a bad patch. He said I could take 3 a day but only took 1 x 2mg apart from on one really bad day when I took two. Short term use and low dose you won't get addicted.

ricardo
16-11-12, 15:39
Do you take them at any given occasion be it at home or out ? i ask as I wouldn't class them as being a good medication for depression,but for anxiety they are very quick acting but have a short life term of 5 hours.

If you are on 2mg which is a low dose and taking 9 a month, I wouldn't worry too much, but don't take them longer than for a few months regularly as they are very addictive. The knack is to have them with you at all times in case of anxiety setting in that you can't control. With practice you should be able to gauge when that is.

Tufty
16-11-12, 19:29
I'd say definately yes Manda - taking 2mg Diazepam on an ad hoc basis is fine.
Like you I don't like taking them but sometimes they are the only thing that takes the edge off the terror. I first took them 9 years ago and took about 28 over the course of 6 months without problem, I did however notice a dip in my mood the next 24-48 hours or so but as long as you anticipate that and know its transient, just accept it and carry on regardless of the low mood. Over the last 9 years I've taken probably 10 x 2mg tablets in time of stress or once when I had really bad toothache and they got me to sleep.
Since March of this year I've been unwell again and I think I've taken about 35 x 2mg Diazepam, sometimes I've taken 3 a day for 2 days and other times I've not taken any for 2 months and apart from the down period as mentioned above I've had no problems with them.
It sounds like you are using the Diazepam wisely, 9 tablets a month is fine, I know Drs are reluctant to prescribe them because of their addictive nature but they really can help you turn off the anxiety cycle and get you back on track.
If I'm having a bad time with the anxiety, I now wait an hour to see if its getting better or worse, if it's getting worse and becomes unbearable I take one (sometimes too late) but often after an hour the anxiety is subsiding.
Try not to beat yourself up about taking them, it sounds like at the moment you're in a scary place and you should take anything that helps you.
Take care
Sam