PDA

View Full Version : Upping the meds, here we go :(

Laura123
16-11-12, 16:13
So I am going through a difficult time just nôw, my gp has upped my sertraline from 50 to 100 and I have put it off till tiday, I just cannot face feeling more anxious the next few days till it settles but I have taken 75mg, I thought I would try gradually increasing it. I feel very tearful today and very anxious and that's before I took the bigger dose, I am dreading how I am going to feel in a few hours. :( x

Elle-Kay
16-11-12, 16:15
Big hugs for you Laura. We're all here to keep you company tonight if you need us xx

Try to take a little comfort in knowing that any increase in symptoms you do feel is only due to the meds - it's not real, it can't hurt you, and it will pass.

Laura123
16-11-12, 16:19
Thanks Leah, I just feel like I can't cope with anything else, I am so mentally drained its scary, I can't seem to do the simplest of tasks it's scaring me a bit. I think the worst thing is knowing that even upping my meds isn't really going to make me feel any better, nothing will :( xx

Annie0904
16-11-12, 16:40
I think you are doing the right thing upping the dose gradually at the moment and it will hopefully help you through this. I know it seems like nothing will help and I really wish there was more we could do to help you. Did you manage to speak to the nurse? I think you could maybe do with help and support for yourself as well as your dad :hugs::hugs::hugs: xxx

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Just saw your reply on my thread xxx

Laura123
16-11-12, 19:21
I took it 4 hours ago, feel sick, shaky, lightheaded. I hate medication :( x

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Oh guys I feel I want to scream and cry and run away and for everything to just stop. It's been a bad day :( x

almamatters
16-11-12, 20:04
Laura I just want you to know I am thinking of you :hugs: :hugs:

Annie0904
16-11-12, 20:22
Aww Laura bless you sweetheart, I hate to see you having such a bad time. I hope you can manage to get a good nights sleep tonight :hugs::hugs::hugs: xxx

little scientist
16-11-12, 20:25
Thinking of you Laura, hopefully the increase will do the trick for you. Have you talked to a counsellor or had any cbt? These cou really help you alongside yor meds :)

Sparkle1984
16-11-12, 20:43
Laura, I'm still thinking of you and your dad. I hope the increase in medication will go some way towards making the next few days easier for you. :bighug1:

Elle-Kay
16-11-12, 21:00
Keep breathing Laura. It will get easier, and every single breath you take is a breath closer to that moment xx

Laura123
16-11-12, 21:23
Oh guys thank you, I just feel so overwhelmed, it getting harder instead of easier, I know the meds will help me cope so I need to suffer the extra anxiety hopefully just a few days. I was doing so well and all thus had knocked me on my back side again, I have lay on the sofa all day staring into space. Why did this happen, it's like I am grieving but he is still here and I feel confused, am I supposed to carry on as normal or is my reaction normal I just don't know. Xx

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I have started to tell a few friends and it makes it all real, now I feel like all the texts and conversations are about dad dying, everyone is looking at me with pity and it's just horrible. Makes me want to cry. X

Annie0904
16-11-12, 21:27
Laura, I would say in your situation it is quite normal for you to be feeling this way..you have so many emotions running through you, you must be exhausted. This has come as a big shock to you and you will be feeling angry, sad and yes grieving, even though your dad is still here when you get news like this I think in a way the grieving process kicks in early. You will want to be strong for your dad but you need to deal with your emotions at the same time. I really think some sort of counselling will be helpful to you...I don't know if your local Macmillan nurses could help you, they are there to support family members as well. :hugs::hugs: xx

Laura123
16-11-12, 21:35
I have my group therapy thing at the end if the month and one to one therapy, I will go, I know I need support, my family are amazing I am so so lucky, they are great with me and all rally round. Mum goes into hospital in 6 days for her op, so I am also worried sick about her. Hey if I can deal with this I can deal with anything and come out stronger. But my god, the big man upstairs is testing me x

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

This is a typical thing Annie, my local McMillan nurses are in the building that my mums ex husband lives in, he is upstairs, we left there 19 years ago, I could not bring myself to walk down that street never mind go in the building. It's so ironic x

Annie0904
16-11-12, 21:39
You certainly are being tested at the moment..there is a saying that we won't be given more than we can cope with but sometimes I wonder..you are right though, you will come out stronger and you have a good support network to help you. xx

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Could you call them and have them come out to you?

Laura123
16-11-12, 21:42
I feel like my life is a movie, honestly, it's just all so unreal! X

Annie0904
16-11-12, 21:56
How long will your Mum be in hospital for? Does she live near you?

TJSMITH
16-11-12, 22:38
Laura how long you been on it? I felt like you but mostly me again but took a long time.
Going from 75 to 100 was ok and within two weeks se went.

I been on it five months and last month a lot more better weeks xx

Laura123
16-11-12, 23:15
Mum lives right beside me practically so that's handy for looking after her Annie. I have been on sert for about 7 weeks I think, I feel a bit calmer now, my tummy has calmed down a bit, managed to eat some cornflakes. I didn't find the start up of sert too bad tbh, don't know why I am so scared of upping them. I will do 75 for a few weeks then up to 100. Xx

MissHDynamite
16-11-12, 23:22
Oh Laura.. Can't say anymore than what's alreadt been said.

You know your made of strong stuff kidda and will feel better soon.. try not to focus on what if the side effects come.. kick their butt and ride it. We are all behind you.

When you feel your struggling to come to terms with things.. don't hesitate to speak to the macmillan nurses, they will help you a lot.

Thinking about you sweetie... I wish we could do more to help... lots of love and hugs :hugs: xxx

Laura123
16-11-12, 23:26
Oh Helen you guys do so much to help me just by always answering me and bring here for me, you guys are my favourite people right now you really are, I have only just started to tell a few friends what's going on with dad, you guys knew it all as it was happening. Xxx

MissHDynamite
17-11-12, 00:00
I know its hard to talk about it because it makes it seem so real :hugs:make use of us as much as you feel you need to x

Annie0904
17-11-12, 10:48
Morning Laura...just checking in to see if you managed to get a good nights rest. Morning MissH too...you did your last post at midnight! I was sound asleep then but only until 3am then I couldn't get back to sleep :( xxx

Laura123
17-11-12, 11:42
Morning :) I feel brighter today thanks Annie. Slept pretty well. The kids have friends over to play and I am going to try and get caught up with some housework and washing. Dad says he feels brighter tiday too so that's cheered me up. Xx

Annie0904
17-11-12, 12:36
Pleased to hear that Laura xx

MissHDynamite
17-11-12, 13:18
Morning all... yes, the old insomnia was kicking in again last night.. didn't nod off until 5am!!! Tired today but got cleaned up, washing etc.. made a chilli for tea, had a bath so chilling now :)

So happy you and dad are feeling brighter today Laura :hugs:

How are you today Annie? xx

Annie0904
17-11-12, 13:20
I was feeling better...until...:( read my shopping trip post :) I am trying to stay positive about it :unsure:

MissHDynamite
17-11-12, 13:31
Just read it and posted :) x

Laura123
18-11-12, 18:39
Well upping the meds so far has been totally fine, I feel slightly more anxious but I can cope with it, I thought it was going to be hellish so pleased that it's not. I took mum into town tiday to get some bits for her going into hospital on Thursday, and started palpitations in my scary shop (matalan) I put it down to the meds, and will try not to focus on it too much. Dad is getting a bit better every day which is just the best thing ever, he is even joking occasionally, I think I may actually get my dad back for these last precious months. Hope you are all doing good, sorry I haven't really been posting much lately xx

Annie0904
18-11-12, 18:43
Laura, I am so pleased to hear that today has been better for you and that upping the meds seems to be working. Well done on shopping in Matalan...much better than me having to hide in the men's undies in Sainsbury's yesterday :). Really pleased that your dad is a bit more cheerful as that will make you feel more peaceful. :hugs: xxx

Laura123
18-11-12, 18:48
It really has made me feel more peaceful, my mind isn't constantly on dad today which has been a relief. Bring on the chemo, lets see if we can get a small miracle, you have to have something to hang on to don't you :) xx. Annie I went bananas last night online and got loads of Xmas presents sorted, kids are all done!

Annie0904
18-11-12, 18:51
Retail therapy is so good Laura!! One day I was sobbing my heart out when my husband left to go away to work. He was only 10 minutes down the road when I called to ask him our Debenham's account number..it worked a treat :) They have some good sale items at the moment too :) xx

Laura123
18-11-12, 23:03
Lol lol. Annie I have to be a bridesmaid in about 9 weeks, we are having my sisters wedding in January now instead of July, so I need to get a dress quick smart, and dresses for my daughter and niece, it's going to be such a stress trying to do it all so fast. I keep thinking holy crap, I will be having panic attacks left right and centre on the day, I think I will ask the doctor for diazepam to get me through the day. I will just want to cry every time I look at dad. But at least we have something else to focus on x

Elle-Kay
18-11-12, 23:19
One of my friends (I met her through organising my own wedding - we share a wedding anniversary) runs a wedding clothing company (in Poole, and online). She prides herself on great service. If you're struggling to get dresses in time she might be worth a look. Here is the address: http://www.girlsofelegance.co.uk If you/your sister see anything you like but are worried about getting it in time, get in touch with her (ask for Sarah and mention that I told you about her) and explain your circumstances/that you're on a tight timescale - I'm sure she'd be able to work some magic!

(Don't feel obliged though obviously - it's entirely your sister's choice, but Sarah was great when I was planning our wedding so I thought it was worth a mention).

Laura123
18-11-12, 23:29
I will defo have a look thanks Leah xxx

blonde_uk
24-11-12, 22:39
Im the same
im the same laura i have been on my meds 50 mg for7wks now then today i took my 100mg and im nervousand anxious but just each day as it cums and itwill beok

Laura123
19-12-12, 12:07
Hi guys. So I upped to 75 for a few weeks and now up to 100, I do feel quite alot more anxious, yesterday was bad, had 3 panic attacks before lunchtime, quite a few episodes of palpitations, I had a terrible sleep last night, kept waking up with like a buzzing sensation and really tight muscles, I suppose it's all down to the sertraline, but I was fine with the increase for the first week or so it's now that the anxiety seems to be heightened, hoping it will pass. Needing some encouragement. Hope you guys are all well xxxx

Elle-Kay
19-12-12, 13:16
Stick with it Laura, it will pass! This phrase has been used to excuse some unpleasant behaviour in the past, but in this case I think it's apt: "The ends justify the means" x

Laura123
19-12-12, 14:01
Oh I hope so Leah, this is getting annoying now. How are you x

MissHDynamite
19-12-12, 14:10
Hello all :)

Stick with it Laura, you know it will pass and anyway you can be my guinea pig for when I go up to 100 :D. I remember going up to 50, it was the 2nd, 3rd,4th week where the anxiety heightened.. you know the score xx :hugs:xx

Elle-Kay
19-12-12, 14:18
Oh I hope so Leah, this is getting annoying now. How are you x

I'm well, thank-you :) I'm not on NMP so much anymore, just because I'm so busy with other things that I didn't have the courage to do a few months ago, so I guess that's a good thing. I'm still seeing my Herbalist and he's happy I'm making progress, so I'm looking forward to continuing that in the New Year. How is your dad doing? Has he got his motorbike? x

swgrl09
19-12-12, 14:36
It must be the increase, it takes a week or so for it to be fully in your system so it makes sense if you are feeling the side effects now. You can do it, it will pass! :hugs:

How is your dad doing?

Laura123
19-12-12, 15:01
Dad is doing good thanks. He had a second stent put in yesterday which has made a massive difference, he is eating better and the painful spasms have stopped. He is coping well with the chemo but his hair started falling out a few days ago so he opted to shave his head. His triumph arrives tomorrow, it's a car not a bike, I would have a heart attack if it was a bike lol. Been on the 100mg for about 2 weeks I think, I am having major brsin problems, I seem to have very little perception of time, like I honestly can't remember anything and I am doing really silly things like putting bacon in the biscuit tin and today I put my mobile down to go and look for ........ My mobile,???????? What's that all about? X

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Helen my advice is to go up by 25mg at a time babes, much less .......shitty xxx

swgrl09
19-12-12, 15:06
That could be a combo of the meds and stress ... if it makes you feel better, i searched endlessly for my cell phone and was getting so frustrated that i could not find it ... until it clicked that i was TALKING ON IT!!! haha. we all do that when stressed!

Annie0904
19-12-12, 15:30
That could be a combo of the meds and stress ... if it makes you feel better, i searched endlessly for my cell phone and was getting so frustrated that i could not find it ... until it clicked that i was TALKING ON IT!!! haha. we all do that when stressed!

I have done the same thing!:roflmao:

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Laura, the other week I poured my cereals in a cup and put the tea bag in a bowl!

Laura123
19-12-12, 17:03
Lol lol that makes me feel better x

MissHDynamite
19-12-12, 18:08
Will do Laura.. thanks. Glad to hear dad's doing well.. send him all our love :hugs:x

Has mum had her op? And don't worry about doing things back to front.. the other day I was a doing a cup of tea, went to put the milk in the bin and the tea bag in the fridge lol. They definately need to do a soap of us x

Laura123
19-12-12, 18:16
Lol lol. Mums op went perfect thanks Helen, it's all been go here, didn't know who to worry about first but thank god things have settled down, mum is getting about great now and the blood flow restored back to her foot. Helen have you noticed that you can't remember doing or saying things, i have been so bad lately, I know we are laughing about it but it's actually getting really annoying, have you had the same experience? X

Annie0904
19-12-12, 18:22
I can't even remember how to spell things and I teach literacy!

MissHDynamite
19-12-12, 18:32
Absolutely! Sometimes I would repeat myself (unknowingly), other times I'd forget what I was saying and I even recall now watching something on the telly.. the ads came on and I could not think what it was I was watching!.. its that lovely anxiety rollercoaster! :doh:

Pleased mum's ok :hugs: x

Laura123
21-12-12, 01:12
I suppose when I think about it only a few months ago I was in a constant state of fear and panic, now it's more like the odd few days or hours so I have come a long way. I need to remember that. I am doing things again on my own without panic, the little things like walking the dogs on my own would have me in a right panic, now I enjoy it again. I am getting there with shops too, although I am having to still encourage myself and talk myself down during it but I am actually doing it which is just brilliant. I see light at the end of my anxiety tunnel, it's a bit to go yet I know but when I actually sit and think how different my meds have made me it's fantastic, I didn't think I would ever feel properly calm and at peace inside ever again. :) x