PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about brain tumor.

Jsp
16-11-12, 17:59
Hello everyone.

I've been having a lot of worry around a headache and a lump that I've found. My head hurts so much at times, and has done constantly for about a week now. The pain is around the back left side of my head and above that ear. Sometimes it's an ache and sometimes it's a sharp shooting pain that is extremely painful. It really hurts and I'm so fed up with it! Painkillers never work with me.

On top of this, there's a lump on the back of my head around that location. The lump almost feels like bone or as if it's a part of my skull. There is no lump on the other side symmetrical to it.

I saw the doctor about something else, and done a blood test while I still had the lump and headaches. The blood tests came back fine. The doctor felt the lump and said it's fine, but didn't tell me what it was. He said the headaches are cluster headaches, which I know is a load of rubbish as I know someone who has them, and my symptoms are nothing alike.

I'm worrying so much that I have cancer of the brain or something :( especially due to finding the lump. I'm seeing an optician for an eye check on Thursday as my doctor said to do that as I haven't been in a few years and will need new glasses, and said that could be the cause. Although I know it's not the cause as I don't tend to get much eye pain with it.

I'm just so worried I don't know what to do. I'm scared I have something seriously wrong with me, due to how long I've had this headache for and how much it hurts, plus the lump! I thought I was over my health anxiety but obviously I'm not :(

Charlee123
16-11-12, 20:14
Hiya. Think logically. Your brains inside your skull, so you wouldnt feel a lump on your head. Please dont worry. I used to worry about having a brain tumour. It makes symptoms worse. That was 6 years ago and im still alive :-) anxiety is horrid, but if your still worried see your gp and suggest having therapy.
Good luck.

DylanR
16-11-12, 20:16
Yes , Brain is inside the skull. you would not feel anything on the outside

Munchlet
16-11-12, 20:28
Hi

Just wanted to let you know I've had a headache for a week now also. I'm also worrying about a brain tumour and just about everything else as well.

It is worse at times and today it was hurting so much it made me feel sick.

I had a head cold a week or so ago and am hoping it's my sinuses but today I could have cried it was thumping so much.

I spoke to my mum and she said she's also been having bad heads this week so maybe it is a virus doing the rounds?
:hugs:

Charlee123
16-11-12, 20:44
Sounds like it to me. If your headaches get worse or new symptoms develop, go back to your gp.
My grandad died of a brain tumour and he never even had a headache with it.
X

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

I mean it sounds like part of the virus to me. X

Jsp
16-11-12, 21:53
Thanks for your replies everyone! You're all so right that the lump won't be anything to do with it! Although my mind is thinking what if the bone is going into my brain on the other side or something -.- plus I want to know what the lump is :/

I did have a horrible cold about four weeks ago which spread to my ear and chest. This headache started like just over a week ago and is only on the left side of my head.

I want the pain to stop its hurting so much :(

mommyandamelia
17-11-12, 01:58
Hi, I see that you have quite a few replies here but every bit of advice can't hurt. A pain once realized with anxiety, will continue on forever because we fear it. There could be a couple of reasons such as headaches (there are many different types and affect people differently), but I'd lean towards sinus problems. I have them chronically and I can relate to the position and kind of pain you mention. I know you will worry, because that's what we do, but also please remember, if you were gravely ill with something like a tumor, it would throw your blood count off and show up there as well. Try to focus on something else, once you can - you won't worry about this any longer.

swgrl09
17-11-12, 04:20
there have been times where my tension headaches were so bad and i had a lump there ... when my muscles loosened up it went away. for me, it was a muscle knot but felt hard as a rock. my chiropractor said that there are muscles that attach behind your ears and they can get tense and go behind your head too.

devonte
17-11-12, 12:07
Brain tumors are serious. Fortunately, parents worrying about brain tumors is far more common than actually having a child with a brain tumor. Still, since headaches, a common brain tumor symptom, are very common in kids, it is important to learn about brain tumor symptoms so that you don't worry unnecessarily and so that you don't miss an important symptom.

Jsp
17-11-12, 16:53
Thanks again for all your replies!

I was wondering about sinus issues but I don't think it is, as the pain doesn't seem to get worse when I put my head forward, and I get the odd shooting pain.

I still have the pain today, at times the pain goes around my eyes, like a pressure feeling. I hope it goes soon as I'm still so worried! Trying my best not to touch the lump.