PDA

View Full Version : How it is and how I am

BLAVOTSKY
17-08-06, 19:51
I wrote this on another site but under another name because somebody else has the user name GAD on this site, It felt good explaining it and getting it out I suppose you can retain a certain amount of anonimity writing on a computer screen which is good. The other site is http://www.anxietyzone.com its an american site but everyone on there has been very helpful

Hey Everyone !

Gonna give a pretty detailed account of how my problems came about so bear with me.......

August 31st 2001 Iam at the hairdressers just getting my hair cut, I was living in holland at the time and had been to a party the night before and had a few pills and a smoke was feeling a little rough but nothing to drastic, was halfway through my hair cut when all of a sudden complete and utter panic took over me I felt I was either gonna sh*t myself or pass out my heart was racing I was sweating and I just had to tell the barber I had left something on the stove and ran out of the barbers to my flat I was sharing with 3 friends and just washed my face down with cold water, the guys were at work so it was empty I had calmed down a little but I was left just really anxious, I finally went back to the barbers and sat there for half an hour in what I can only call complete fright I was sweating still couldnt speak I was shaking but endured the panic and went home, I laid in bed thinking what the hell was wrong with me I thought it may have just been some side effect/come down from the night before so just fell asleep.
I woke up a few hours later tempararilly forgetting what had happened and walked round to the local supermarket for a few bits, at the checkout I felt a little anxious then somebody came and stood behind me and that was it complete and utter panic again I thought I cant move let me out let me out, I put my grocerys down and fled for the door sweating and shaking and just basically scared to hell, I went back to the flat and laid down in bed again, bed seemed to be my only solice from panicking I had a cigarette to calm me but this made it even worse I was scared for the phone ringing, a knock at the door the guys heading back from work, I slept again and woke up the next day, getting ready for work I still felt anxious worried about when and were it will happen again. I made my way to the car, the guys were waiting for me I got in the back and felt really really unesy we drove for about 5 mins when it happened again I screamed "stop the car stop the car let me out" The guys were a bit shocked but let me out I then walked the 2 miles home down a dual carriage way feeling nervous again, Something was definately wrong after a few months of missing days and shortening my hours I finally left my job I couldn't hack it any more I just wanted to be in bed or be asleep, most nights I cried, just with my head in my hands wondering what was wrong just fraught with fear and panic about anything my mind would just run around in itself looking for somewhere to sit and make me panic about something, any situation I wasnt fully in control of I would panic about.
I spent the summer getting drunk all day being that way made me less anxious but more the next day with the hangover,I had stopped smoking pot and everything else I even quit smoking for 3 months because everytime I had one it made me panic even more, I finally came back to england I put up with the panic of trains and taxis everytime I sat somewere I panicked but enough was enough.
I came home and my brother had got me on a college course doing Gas Engineering, my first day I was sh**ting my self I was late and everyone was allready sat down there was one empty seat a went and sat down, fortunately there was a mountain of paperwork so my head was kept busy for a while, the next day waas just as bad, panicking until my head got busy I had gotten into the routine of having to take a bottle of water some chewing gum and a paper or something to read little comfort things to keep my head busy, I finishe the course and passed a year later had a nice job still panicked all the t

Clare_63
17-08-06, 20:09
Hi Blavotsky

Welcome to the forum. You will find loads of help here, either from other peoples experiences, recommendations of other web sites or books. I'm currently reading 'When Panic Attacks' which explains what is happening to your body and why. Other books that have been suggested and which I have ordered are by Claire Weekes. I have only been a member for about a month so Im still learning. You could always pm one of the administrators (Nomorepanic, clickaway, piglet etc) and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Take care

Clare :)

manmoor
17-08-06, 20:41
Hi Blavotsky,

Welcome aboard.

Take Care

Mandy

xx

den64
17-08-06, 21:53
Hi Blavotsky

Welcome to the site, you will get some very usefull tips from people on here, if i were you i would go to your doctors as they can recommend you for cbt which would cost you nothing, also i would get a relaxation tape and listen to it at least twice a day,dont give up on it as usually when you first start to listen to a tape your mind wanders, dont worry about that as you will eventually learn to listen to the whole of the tape also try an i-pod with music you know the words to as that way your not thinking of other things as you can sing in your mind the words to the songs, look for claire weekes self help for your nerves, ask at your library they normally stock books on anxiety and panic, some do relaxation tapes or cds

Take Care :D

Denise [8D]:D

polly daydream
18-08-06, 00:48
Hi Blavotsky and welcome to the forum.

Best wishes,

Polly

lainey
18-08-06, 10:10
Hi there

Welcome to the forum, you'll get loads of help and support here, relaxation and distraction were the 2 things that helped me big time so I cannot add much more than what Denise has recommended.

Take care mate

Elaine x

hayles
18-08-06, 10:45
HI and welcome.

Please visit your Docs, as they can offer some advise and maybe refer you for therapy.
Claire weeks is a very good move. The relaxation i have trouble with as my mind is just so overactive, i cant listen!

Good luck and take care

Hay x

giddy
18-08-06, 13:16
Hello and welcome to the forum
love Helen

BLAVOTSKY
18-08-06, 15:16
Thanks everone, apparentley the waiting list for CBT on the NHS is about 2 years and I really cant wait that long, and as of the relaxation tapes my friend gave me cd which I listened to in the bath the other day, its explains how you let yourself go from your body starting with your head and then down to your feet, it also makes you associate the sense of calm with a specific number, in the back groung is a steady pulse noise which is supposed to somehow tap into you sub-conscious mind alpha rhythms or something to that effect but to bo quite honest it just made me want to itch. Literature wise this Clare Weekes seems to be a favourite of people on this site but I'am not sure what she does I'am yet to look it up I cant spend much time on my girlfriends Pentablet, on another site an american one thay have suggested a book called Been There, Done That, Do This by Sam Oblitz or something like that, I will certainly check that out. Thank you to everone for there input and Good Luck to you all.

nicjay
18-08-06, 16:46
Hi Blavotsky

Welcome to the forum, you will find the site really helpful and if you feel the need to chat to people you can always come into the chat room.

Nicola
xxx

nomorepanic
19-08-06, 16:44
Hi Blavotsky

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

net
19-08-06, 19:36
hi blavotsky
i waited 3 years for an appointment and had the first one wednesday. i cant do relaxation cds i get boed and start thinking and tensing up so it doesnt work but i have a tai chi dvd and i find this helps keep me calm and relaxed

netty

IanB
19-08-06, 20:01
Hi blavotsky

Thanks for the post. You asked some of the questions I was too afraid to ask because I thought people would think I was stupid.

I to have problems relaxing, and the help offered by the other members has made me realise that there is help out there if I am willing to look for it. Monday morning, I'm straight down the library and looking for the books mentioned above.

Hang in there mate, you'll find loads of support and friends on this site.

Ian

"today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well"

jo-jo
19-08-06, 22:02
Hello and a big welcome to you.
You will find tons of support here - so glad you have found the site.
Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

clickaway
19-08-06, 22:19
Hi,

Claire Weekes books are excellent and I have 'Essential Help for your nerves' and 'Self help for your nerves'. I often pick one of them up at random and it gives me so much reassurance. You can read reviews of them on Amazon and if you do decide to order from them, use our link below and then click on the book cover as it helps this site.

Reading for sufferers of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=reading)

Meg, who is a member of this site, has produced an 8CD course for anxiety and I think it costs £60.

Other possible helps are the No Panic telephone CBT course which will cost you about £10 plus the phone calls. One to one therapy may be available in your area at reduced rates by joining the National Phobics Society.

Hope this helps

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Piglet
19-08-06, 22:33
A big welcome to the site :)

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.