PDA

View Full Version : Depressed as I'm getting nowhere with talking therapy any suggestions

Nighttime pacer
17-11-12, 19:15
Hi all
I've had bad health anxiety now for about a year and been worrying about everything from stomach and lung and oesophagus cancer to chemicals in paint and furniture and shower gel and just about everything else!
I started having talking therapy about 9 weeks ago and don't feel like I'm getting anywhere at all. The therapist seems to think all the anxiety is being triggered by something and we need to find out what. The therapist is a nice guy and it's all very relaxed and sort of comforting but within a few hours of walking out of there nothing's changed again. I'm getting so depressed as I feel like it's making me worse not better because of the frustration of going round in circles.
Would cbt be better? Do I need to find out what triggered it?
I wondered if anyone else had had this problem with talking therapy.
Thanks
Nighttime Pacer

panickyme
18-11-12, 00:35
Sometimes therapy does stir up some feelings, and you do feel worse, but hang it there, talking about our problems, or life history is anxiety provoking, stay strong it will pass. Sounds like you have a really nice therapist also, you are in good hands. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Jules147
18-11-12, 11:54
This is not, in my view, an effective form of therapy. It is far too deterministic, simplistic and a bit too rooted in early 20th Century psychology. Furthermore what may trigger anxiety and what keeps it going can be completely unrelated. It is the cycle of fear that needs breaking not trying to work out how it all started.

If you go on a long journey in a car and get lost near your destination, do you find out where you are in relation to your destination or do you attempt to retrace the whole journey back to the start?

b4eve
18-11-12, 12:17
Totally agree with Jules 147, that's an outdated type of therapy, not to say that it won't help some people but it clearly doesn't seem to be helping you. CBT has very good success rates - I have to say I've tried it and it didn't cause a huge turn-around for me but I think that's because I'd already come up against a lot of the concepts. I had group therapy, maybe if I'd held out for one-on-one (which I could've had) then a more focused use of CBT would have got better results. It is a very sound concept CBT... dealing with the actual problem as it manifests,not some nebulous backstory

Jules147
18-11-12, 13:00
'Nebulous backstory,' I like that. Brilliant!

CBT on its own is perhaps not as effective as being combined with mindfulness, a thorough and detailed understanding how your body reacts to your thought processes and why this is so.