PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia and Baking

DreamsInSpace2
17-11-12, 20:36
I am freaking out because Mum put cakes in the fridge to cool down as they weren't cooling down quick enough, so I put mine in, and then decorated and she convinced me it is fine to eat. So I ate them, I wasn't going to.. But yeah she said it's fine as its not chicken or anything. So I believed her, I googled it as I am paranoid and a lot of people said yes you can do this but the odd person said no :'( pray the no people were wrong and i'll be fine.. i am so so scared.. need some reassurance, i ate 2 ! pray it was okay to do that :-( xxxx

Anxious_gal
18-11-12, 08:33
How on earth could you get sick from cooling food in the fridge?
You can safely eat hot food even chicken after it goes cold :)

Starmist
18-11-12, 19:02
Cooling cakes in the fridge is fine! I do it when I'm in a rush sometimes! I also suffer from emetophobia and I wouldn't do it if I have any issues about it! :) Hope your cakes were good!

Elle-Kay
18-11-12, 19:06
How on earth could you get sick from cooling food in the fridge?
You can safely eat hot food even chicken after it goes cold :)

You shouldn't try to cool certain foods by putting them in the fridge warm, as it can cause bacteria to grow/multiply, which can make you poorly. This only applies to meats etc. though as far as I know. After all, there are certain desserts (some pastry tarts for example) that you have to put in the fridge/freezer whilst they're warm, to make them set properly.

DreamsInSpace2
19-11-12, 10:39
Thank you for your replies it was fine! xx thank you xx

i love tea
19-11-12, 22:01
Just to let you know, it's not the food you're cooling down that might be a problem, it's the stuff that's already in the fridge. This is from the NHS Choices website:

“Make sure food has cooled down before you put it in the fridge,” says Philippa Hudson, senior lecturer in food safety at Bournemouth University.
“If the food is still hot it will raise the temperature in the fridge, which isn’t safe as it can promote bacterial growth.”

DreamsInSpace2
21-11-12, 18:41
Thanks for the reply I had read that on the internet and i think it was only a one off.. so hopefully everyone will be fine and i will be fine.x

Sparkle1984
21-11-12, 20:13
Yes it should be fine to put cakes in the fridge to cool down more quickly. Just make sure you don't put them on a shelf directly under any raw meat, as this could drip onto the cakes and contaminate them.

DreamsInSpace2
22-11-12, 12:47
Thanks for reply xx