PDA

View Full Version : My Agrophibic story, quite long

Rik
18-08-06, 02:10
First of all i would like to apologise because im rubbish at shortening things and tend to repeat myself, but i will try and keep it short and simple.....
Well i have been on this site quite alot and have not posted my story yet because im finding it hard but i know i need to and its on my mind so,
well i believe i started having small attacks few years back but knew nothing of them as i was young, i also use to get my self over excited about things that i'd make myself physically ill (not sure if this is realated tho), also i have been mugged a number of times, im 17 now.
A few years back my family moved to the Isle Of Wight, which where i realised i was starting to get frightened, but it wasnt intill we disided to move back to our home town i remember going, on the ferry for the last time moving the stuff back, and it was very choppy but i didnt mind boats then we were queing up for food then i went ll wierd inside, shakey felt sick my mouth was dry and there was loads of people around me, and then i felt worse and worse, i wanted a drink my body tried to make me vomit, but i never did it was horrible.
After that i believe it was a long time before i had anotther attack that bad, but i never went on holiday i wouldnt stay over friends houses, but i would still go out, also i felt sick every single day going to school not that i got bullied but i just never liked it, after a year after we finally got our house, my mum convienced me to go on holiday again so i did, first week was fine and i felt over the moon but then the second week came and the tables turned, i was feeling sick going down to the pool, and when we went down the beach i had another attack and hieved again but never throw up, after that i was pretty much stuck in the hotel room i was scared out of my life knowing that i had to go out there to go home, i made it back home but i believe i did because i was thinking of home and felt safe although it wasnt pleasent. I remember having high hopes but had a small housebound then aswell but got over it quickly but cant remember how.
So i was back to normal but still did not go to sleep round friends and no way did i go on holiday again, but i felt happy school was ending soon and i had no more of it and i can go to work. a few years went on and i got better over time, i got a apprentice working at renault as a machanic and even got over the fear of leaving home as my training was up in nottingham, every 2 months for 2 weeks, i was very scared about it but when i did it i felt so good afterwards when i got home, and i was up for anything no fear atall... but then as i was doing nothing oftern as going away i seemed to be scared of leaving home again when i next had to go up there, but i did but i couldnt do it the second time and left the next day and quit, i went back to work with my dad as a domestic eletrician which i enjoy doing, but went back to scared going on holiday stuff, then september last year it was my sisters 21st and my mum booked a surprise holiday trip for her and the family to new york obviouskly i knew about it but i was so scared again, i couldnt work out why, most people would go yes new york i cant wait, but i was like do i have to go?
The time came to go and i wanted to do it for my sister i didnt want to let her down after all it was only 3 nights so i thought about it and it didnt seem that bad i went and i felt back to normal, came back and was fine i had all my self confidence back, went back to college aswell, but then i guess every up side as a down one, i couldnt stop it and it was taking over my life, i was getting scared againg going out and to college it wasnt so much going there but actually there sitting in the classroom, but it got worse and i couldnt take it, so from last year December ive been home bound :(.

I have made some improvements from december buut i am finding it very hard to go out, i do walk the dog ever night tho which i started maybe a month or 2 ago, but i believe its getting just like a routine and im starting to panic again when o

net
19-08-06, 20:28
hi rik

the agoraphobia comes and goes i find i can be doing eally well then suddenly i cant leave the house, i'm terrified of going out alone at night.
i wear an elastic band on my wrist so that when i feel panicky i snap it, this has helped me.
you've managed to achieve quite a lot of things so far

netty

Rik
20-08-06, 01:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi rik

the agoraphobia comes and goes i find i can be doing eally well then suddenly i cant leave the house, i'm terrified of going out alone at night.
i wear an elastic band on my wrist so that when i feel panicky i snap it, this has helped me.
you've managed to achieve quite a lot of things so far

netty

<div align="right">Originally posted by net - 19 August 2006 : 21:28:29</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I like going out at night because no ones around and its just me i feel safer for some reason, plus i can wear my jacket and have a bottle of drink in it.
but unfortunatly im going backwards the last two nights i've not been able to go out, i just panic and now stopped.

Wannabeloved85
20-08-06, 18:58
Rik,
i was going to reply to this esterday, then my laptop decided to die! Anyway, firstly, thanks for replying and voting on my agoraphobia poll.
You metioned on that post that you get about 15 houses? OK. Thats good. But everytime you go, are you trying to get as far as you can? if so, dont. I know, sounds bad but theres a reason. If you push yourself so hard its going to take effect and on your way back you may panic at the thought of not getting home fast enough. I know from experience! Im housebound and im on a slow but sure recovery. Im about 11 doors away from my house, but my ultimat comfort zone is about 5 houses.
Start of slow, next door then the next one, do this for a few times, and try not to go fast. I too take my dog EVERYTIME! And i talk to her, Play with her, feed her treats and crouch down and stroke her, all to just get me comfy in that situation. I also ALWAYS stand in my garden for about 5 minutes before i head down the road, its gets me used to the fresh air, when your housebound you tend to blame the dizzines on anxiety straight away, but if youve spent all your time indoors you can guarentee that fresh air can cause some of that dizziness, but it does pass quick.Its taken along time to get to where i am, but after 3 years housebound and almost all that time in my room, Im pretty proud of my accomplishment.
Anytime you want to chat, just email me, ill be happy to chat!
Good luck and keep up the good work.
Becci x
P.s Got a hobby? of not, get one!!! i spent 3 years with my thoughts haunting me, NO WONDER I DIDNT WANT TO GO OUT! exercise your imagaination{in a good way} with a hobby.

Wenjoy
20-08-06, 20:15
Hey Rik
You are doing great - to still be sounding sane despite all your fears shows that you are intelligent and CAN cope with this - we all fear the unknown be it a house move or foreign holiday or even a new college or job - Im 46 and I STILL fear anything different like new job or strange places - so you are doing GREAT and no body on here thinks less of you for your message - use this website because it helps all of us with our fears and advice and just letting off steam so hang on in there - you are doin great!! Love wenjoy x

Insomniac
20-08-06, 20:55
Hi Rik

Well done for posting your story here.

Try not to give yourself a hard time about not getting out. Take small steps and don't push yourself too hard.

I get like that sometimes and stood in the garden for a while the other day before walking up the road. I wanted to reassure myself before I set out. Maybe this would help you. Do what you can. and try not to be too hard on yourself. :)

Lisa.

kazzie
23-08-06, 13:17
Hi Ric, I find it helps if i leave my back door open then i can feel like im outside with the comfort of still being indoors try it it helps!!! Take care kaz