PDA

View Full Version : People with knowledge on this please comment. thanks x

JosephHitch
18-11-12, 11:50
My names Joe,
In the ensuing missive you will see I'm seeking an unambiguous answer to a fairly basic question.But first a brief digression: I'v been taking Citalopram for over a year now ( 30mg) . It's changed my life, crippling anxiety has almost entirely vanished.I'm a new man,well back to the man I was before the dark, malevolent voice of anxiety began to confide in me.
The nature of my enquiry is this. It was my understanding that the SSRI treatment process works as follows: You take the medication until you feel better then carry on taking for sometime until you've recovered fully and then tamper off the medication slowly and your problems should not return ( well the plan is they don't return ). This came up in conversation with my Dr and she said 'yes that's how they work for depression but not when treating anxiety" .She then went on to say that Citalopram or indeed any SSRI just suppresses anxiety and it'll return when I stop the treatment.
So basically that means that how I'm feeling now is not real, just a temporary release ? What ever progress I'v made means nothing as it's only applicable on the drug. This is distressing, I thought I was working towards something? If it's just a quick fix that will go away after stopping taking the medcine what's the point of even starting ? Will I see any benefits if I stop taking the pills or is it like It never happened ? She's really knocked me back abit. My question is really is, is she correct on this ? I dont take gps words on everything, What's your understanding of how the treatment works ?

little scientist
18-11-12, 20:16
Hi joe :)

I'll give you an idea of mine and my sisters experiences of being on citalopram.

Right with me.....I have been in and off SSRIs for 8 years, initially on fluox, now on citalopram. This time on citalopram is my 2nd time. For me, whenever I have come off an SSRI, my anxiety has returned, but previously I hadn't had a huge amount of cbt, where as this time I have been having intervention when it matters most instead of being stuck on a waiting list! So for me, my anxiety has returned every time.

But for my sister, it has been different. She had a spell on citalopram probably 18 months to 2 years ago when she experienced anxiety. She tapered off hers, and so far, her anxiety hasn't returned (she's been off them quite some time now) so, in my opinion, what your go said about the anxiety being bound to return, is somewhat unfounded.

And others here have come off it and been able to continue living a normal, anxiety free life :)

Have you had any cbt alongside your medication? Evidence suggests this is particularly effective in combination with medication, reducing chance of having to go back on medication by altering thought the negative thought patterns that can cause anxiety and depression.

diggory
18-11-12, 20:48
Remember where you have come from before you make the decision to withdraw the cit'. I made that decision at the end of August after being on cit' for nearly three years ( see my previous posts). You need to have had a really stable period of a few months before starting. I would recommend looking towards the beginning of Spring for a gradual withdrawal. How much of your old zip has returned, have you made many changes to you life and identified any past patterns that could return ? There are side effects but they do differ from person to person. I seem at the moment, despite not following my above recommendations !!, to have got things about right. However, I felt in a really stable position (talking therapy, mindful meditation, yoga) when I ditched the cit'. It is still early stages for me, I realize that I may be only one old thought habit away from a setback !! Good luck !!