PDA

View Full Version : CBT problem??

**whenwillthisend**
18-08-06, 11:47
Hi, for those who have had, or having CBT at the moment i want to ask what happens during each session....for me at first he was really good got me lots of info and concentrated on how to go about changing the thought pattern etc, now (this is my 5 th session ) he just sits there no info, no leaflets he just sits and lets me go on about how much im worried about my heart etc.....i dont feel this is helping , i might aswell not be going, and he says i may only need 1 more session????
I havent been impressed by CBT to be honest, i understand how it works, and do practise the principles of it, maybe he thinks my problem (health anxiety) isnt important enough or something...i dont know what to do now
thanx everyone

Ma Larkin
18-08-06, 14:18
I was assessed for CBT because like you I worry about my heart constantly. My GP was all for it and said it was the best thing for me and would really help me. When I went to be assessed I was told I didn't need CBT. I was gutted. I thought if my GP thinks I need it, then I must do. All the assessor said was "if there was something wrong with your heart, you'd be dead by now". Not exactly what I wanted to hear as you can imagine. I'm seeing a Counsellor at work and she has been brilliant throughout all my "troubles". I don't think I'll ever get over health anxiety, its awful. At least we know we aren't the only ones suffering from it, which is some comfort in a way.

maynooth
18-08-06, 14:57
Counsellors works from the perspective of a root cause.They believe that the cause of your anxiety is deep rooted in your subconscious.Basically they dont understand what causes anxiety so they make some complex theory to try and explain it.I myself went to counselling for 4 years and all I did was talk about my life while the counsellor would just sit there listening rationalising anything that I would say.Although the counselling I got was good for support, it didnt enable me to recover from anxiety.The only thing which is helping me recover is the Claire Weekes method.For more information go to www.drclaireweekes.co.uk

"You have to live with fear to live without fear!"

net
19-08-06, 20:08
hi whenwillthisend

cbt doesnt work for everyone it was no good for me yet i know people who have benifited from it and it depends on your therapist i had to change mine because he wouldnt listen to what to i had to say as it didnt agree with the way he had been taught. different ones use different techniques. noothmay is right as well

netty