PDA

View Full Version : burning upper chest and pesistant cough

clairee22
18-11-12, 21:46
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and have been suffering with health anxiety for eight years on and off. I have for the last four-five months been putting up with chest tightness, dry back of the mouth, coughing and coughing up clear/white flem and a pesistant mild burning feeling in my chest. I am seeing the docs about 3+ a week and last week went to a.e twice. The doc are half and half thinking its ether asthma or aniexty and I have my pulmonary function test tomorrow. I am currently on seretide Steroid inhalors twice a day and have a ventolion blue inhalor and a have been given a short course of diazapam which today I took 1mg which didn't seem to help. I keep feeling that the inhalors are not helping because I don't get a signifgant improvement from them, my chest xray was clear, my chest is always clear and my peak flow is above average and my oxgyen sats are always above 98. I don't know what to do I'm 23 years old in the middle of my nursing degree and looking after my 4 year son by self :( just need to know if anyone else is having a similar experiance and if they think this asthma thing is in my head? Thanks xx

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Any reassurance would be much appreciated :) just going through such a rough patch in my life where I'm constantly thinking I'm going to have an asthma attack and won't get help on time because I'm on a train or a bus or a home alone :( I have had two "asthma" attacks but have nether needed any treatment because they calmed down thus me thinking is it asthma or aniexty. What should I do? :(

Annie0904
18-11-12, 21:52
I would wait until you have the pulmonary function test tomorrow and see what the doctors advise after that. If all the tests are clear then yes it could be anxiety. maybe you are having a panic attack and thinking it is an asthma attack? Best to wait until you have had all the tests and then your doctor can advise you better. :hugs:

clairee22
18-11-12, 23:37
Thanks annie for replying :) OK, will do I think when every test that is performed comes back clear but you have the symptoms it is really disheartening when you just want to get on with life like everyone else

clairee22
19-11-12, 18:47
Had my pulmonary function test today with reversibility with the nurse. She told me that the results would have to be interpreted properly by the doctor but told me that she thought the results did not have a huge difference with using the ventilon inhaler and that that my lung age is under 25 :D so fingers crossed that it was'nt asthma after all and all anxiety. Though my "burning" chest has left me with a chesty cough or chest infection as im coughing up yellow/greeny flem :( so been eating lots of raw garlic, soup and water so hopefully will clear u[ as i'm worrying a bit that it could trigger a attack if i'm wrong!

ankietyjoe
19-11-12, 19:19
Sounds like it could be reflux. I have very similar symptoms at the moment (constant frog in my throat) and often have a dry tickly, then productive cough on and off throughout the day. It's always worse in the morning after I eat but I don't cough at night at all, when I'm asleep at least.

The burning chest is almost definitely reflux. Said the not a doctor.