PDA

View Full Version : The Freeze Response: How does it feel?

Ditapage
18-11-12, 23:46
Mostly my anxiety caused the fight or flight reaction and i always chose flight until i went to therapy and got some practical ways of dealing with those seconds of sheer panic. Fleeing was ruining my life and i learned to sit through the anxiety.

Lately I've been experiencing a new kind of fear. It starts off with me feeling really strange in my head and then like i want to get up and run away NOW but it feels like i cant move. I am aware its fight/flight/freeze and was wondering if anyone has experienced freeze and what it feels like. It hits me during a time of high anxiety and i CAN move but it just feels like i cant. Should i be worried?

BobbyDog
19-11-12, 06:47
You are right, the FREEZE is part of the fight or flight reaction, I get this all the time in social situations, I want to get up and run away, but I am paralyzed with fear, feeling unable to move and paranoid about any slight movement I make. I have come to realise that the only way over this is to not run away when the panic sets in, over time it will get better, or so I keep telling myself.

Richard1960
19-11-12, 07:57
I agree i have also suffered "freeze" and finding that the Citalopram is making things much easier for me.

When i did used to freeze it was like being paralyzed and i needed to get to my comfort zone pronto,i did learn it was flight or fight response and am now working on confronting it in the future.

When i did get an attack it made my head go all light,with a fear of passing out,learning some relaxation techniques helped but its a hard one to deal with.

All the best.

Richard.

Tessar
19-11-12, 09:00
i dont freeze in my body as such but i get a version of this where my mind goes completely blank when under extreme emotional pressure. I cant describe feelings at all, its like i just go numb. I have discussed this with my counsellor & she says its connected to fight/flight/freeze. Its to do with things that went on in my childhood & when i feel threatened my mind just automatically shuts things off before i even realise i'm doing it. i'm currently learning to tolerate situations of high emotional stress with a view to one day not shutting off like this & then perhaps i can be more relaxed in life generally but particularly in high stress situations

fruity
19-11-12, 10:14
Mostly my anxiety caused the fight or flight reaction and i always chose flight until i went to therapy and got some practical ways of dealing with those seconds of sheer panic. Fleeing was ruining my life and i learned to sit through the anxiety.

Lately I've been experiencing a new kind of fear. It starts off with me feeling really strange in my head and then like i want to get up and run away NOW but it feels like i cant move. I am aware its fight/flight/freeze and was wondering if anyone has experienced freeze and what it feels like. It hits me during a time of high anxiety and i CAN move but it just feels like i cant. Should i be worried?
got it right now and just feel strange. my eyes are watery and everythings dreamlike i feel weak. could have virus though

MissyC_54
19-11-12, 17:42
I often freeze when having an anxiety/panic attack. When trying to move I shake. I've found breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth helps a little.