PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Stress and tooth pain?

RaptorZX3
19-11-12, 10:34
hi, i'm new here, i was going to reply to a 3-years old thread, but i decided to create a new one because it was going to be a very long reply.

I was searching on Google about "anxiety and tooth pain" and found this thread on this forum, so i thought i would post.

Several weeks ago (about 5-6 weeks from now) i got 2 teeth (molars, on the lower left side of my jaw) fixed with fillings (called "composite" or "amalgam"?). And since Friday, they seem to be a little painful from time to time. But not only those 2 teeth, but occasional pain on the upper left teeth as well. But then i push on them on the side with a finger and they don't hurt.

From the dentist's last visit and x-rays, they never said a single thing about those upper left teeth, so they must be fine.

I do have frequent anxiety/stress attacks it seem. I remember many years ago, i had something weird coming out from the middle of my tongue, like a white...thing, anyway, i've cut it and it seem like it went away with time. I remember having problems swallowing big pieces of food, when it was all in my head.

Anxiety can cause many weird things, but unfortunately you never know if this is the cause of what's happening to you, until it goes away by itself.

So i guess this is what's happening to me. Hopefully this tooth ache problem is only caused by anxiety.

But i also wonder, IF this is anxiety, is that because of the many visits to the dentist since August?

-1st visit was to get x-rays and being told they will have to get 2 teeth removed (my insurance doesn't cover canal treatment, and it's about 1000$ per teeth if you pay), got prescribed penicillin, to disinfect the swollen gums.
-2nd visit, a week later, to get the 2 molars removed.
-3rd visit for a voluntary check-up (i wanted to make sure it was healing properly).
-4th visit for a deep clean and new x-rays. I got told 1 tooth would have to be removed by the dentist, but then i talked to the head dentist and said he will try to repair them the best he can.
-5th visit to get the other molars repaired. Before leaving, i asked him about the teeth, and he said it went great and cheered me by doing a thumb up.

Last visit was around mid-October i think.

i'm supposed to have an appointment for Wednesday, but i think i will cancel because this might be anxiety kicking in, and this appointment isn't with the same dentist in that office, i would prefer to see the same dentist i saw the 2 previous times (the one who removed my 2 teeth, and repaired those 2 other teeth i mentioned, he's the head dentist as well, the one with the most education in dentistry) but he's booked till after the holidays.

So, tell me, do you think it's most likely anxiety causing this occasional pain?

ricardo
19-11-12, 10:46
One can get what feels like tooth pain but is in fact jaw pain from grinding your teeth when asleep. You don't mention that in your post so I suggest that you do go back to the dentist and let him/her have another look at the work that was done. Sometimes fillings can be too high and that would cause both the upper and lower teeth directly above each other to hurt.

RaptorZX3
19-11-12, 11:16
i don't think i'm grinding my teeth when sleeping. i think my jaw is "loose" (meaning i don't clench my teeth together), kinda like when i'm awake.

Also, when doing the filling, the dentist told me to push the teeth together, many times, so i guess he did the filling right.