PDA

View Full Version : One week into venlafaxine, very unstable moods?

JezKnowsBest
20-11-12, 12:52
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience regarding my problem.
I have been taking venlafaxine 37.5mg for a week now, due to start 70mg tomorrow and although it has helped with my general anxiety already, I'm finding my moods are now very unstable? Rather than the constant clawing anxiety I usually feel I am now going through several episodes a day of being tearful, joyous, depressed, very anxious and just flat. Is this normal? Will it stabilise? Should I contact my doctor as it's worrying my fiance and giving me more cause for concern too, which obviously suffering from anxiety I could do without! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jez.

kittikat
20-11-12, 17:29
I started on 35.5mg Ven back in August and I will never forget my first day. I had this euphoric high (which was quite nice!) for a few hours then things settled down into more or less what you describe, flat, happy, sad, depressed, etc.

I just told myself this is my body & mind getting used to the drug and to be honest it did stabalise fairly quickly. I think this is fairly normal and I would try not to worry too much. I think the worst thing for me was the dry mouth! Also when I increased to 75mg, it didn't cause me too much bother at all. 10 weeks on, I am doing fine and my mood and anxiety is generally much better.

It is very early days for you and it sometimes takes a few weeks for everything to settle down. If you are worried about increasing, perhaps discuss with your GP and stay on 37.5 for another week or so. I was on 37.5 for about 3 weeks before I increased to 75mg.

I have found this drug very easy to tolerate and was tablet phobic before taking it due to suffering awful side effects on other anti d's.

Hang in there, it will get better and it will stabalise. Come and join this thread -
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110037 you will get lots of help & support from the lovely Venlafaxine users there.

All the best,
Kitti :)

JezKnowsBest
20-11-12, 18:21
Thank you :) I'll have a read of that thread.

Jez.

spawn
20-11-12, 21:10
For the first couple of months you will be very up and down, it does get better the longer you are on it. 75mg didnt do alot for me and i soon crashed after a month, i upped to 150mg and have been on that for 9 weeks now. im feeling alot more stable now, and starting to get on with life without anxiety.
Just stick with it, good luck!
Gav.

JezKnowsBest
21-11-12, 10:09
Thank you Gav, I've just taken the first 75mg so let's see how that goes! I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor before the week is out to get more 75mg and discuss the SE.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, I read your experiences starting venlafaxine on another thread.

Jez.