PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety at an all time high due to bullying at work.

AmyB
20-11-12, 17:38
I've had a rough few months with panic attacks and anxiety. It's something I've suffered from for over 15 years on and off.
I had just started to turn a corner with the help of Sertraline. :)

The problem is for around 6 weeks I've had a bit of a bad relationship with a woman at work. She has never liked me I'm not sure why as I have done nothing to her? I put it down to pure jealousy.
She not only bad mouths me to my work colleagues and telling new staff untruths about me she is Also using Facebook as a weapon against me.
Such as organising nights out with all my friends from work without inviting me.
She writes these planned trips on her and my friends Facebook page so I can see them.

She's a very aggressive natured woman who isn't easy to approach and has a history of bullying in a precious work place!!

I'm just beside myself. I don't know what to do? :(

My anxiety is at an all time high and this awful situation is on my mind day and night.
I'm not sleeping very well, I feel totally on edge and scared to go to work.

I absolutely love my job and don't want to leave due to this woman but I do need to think of my sanity.

It's just such a difficult situation. This is my first job in 8 years due to the kids both now being at school.
I'm just so stressed that I don't know where to turn. :(

Annie0904
20-11-12, 17:41
Bullying in the work place should be dealt with and I think you should speak to your line manager about this. The company should have a policy to deal with this. If you are in a union you could also get their advise. You should not have to put up with this. :hugs::hugs:

BobbyDog
20-11-12, 17:44
Some people are very cruel and pick up on the slightest weakness they find in others in order to make them selves look better, perhaps due to their own insecurities.

Why not have a word with your HR department in confidence, you could find that you're not the first person who has had problems with this" lady".

AmyB
20-11-12, 17:49
I have reported her but as yet nothing has been done.
My boss also thinks I'm being paranoid about the nights out etc but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I just don't think I have the emotional energy to deal with someone like this at the moment.

:(

Hope73
20-11-12, 18:03
Awwww I had this too, Just forget her and act like she doesn't exist, go to work just get on with your work and talk,laugh,go to lunch with your other colleagues... Arrange to go on the night out still but with someone else from your department and when you arrive have a little drink if you do drink,dance maybe and enjoy yourself! This woman is nobody and nobody has the right to make you feel the way do right now... And if nothing has been done regarding her I would get back onto whoever deals with this at your workplace and insist on something being done or said... It is not like it was years ago when people had to put up with it... There are policys and procedures that need to be followed nowadays...

Good Luck :D

ladymillion
20-11-12, 18:12
Amy, I have just read your post and iI think its horrible the way you have been treated.

I too have been having trouble with a woman at my work. She was a lovely person or so i thought! Her nasty side came out when i was promoted two years ago. I know it is pure jealousy which is pathetic! She is a horrible woman and she has made me feel very anxious and depressed at work. I

Annie0904
20-11-12, 18:13
Amy are you in a union?

ladymillion
20-11-12, 18:16
even handed in my notice at one point and the boss asked me to stay. I did stay but i did not tell the boss about her. Anyway about a month ago she had been really upsetting me and i was trying my best to ignore her, as i always do. It got too much for me and i was planning to tell my boss everything from the past two years but i didnt because i dont like people getting into bother! Silly i know!!

Well she made a nasty comment about me one day and i walked straight upto her and said, ''Sorry what did you say there?'' She blanked me and i said ''If you have anything to say to me, dont be a coward and say it to my face'' and i walked away feeling horrible. Well so far so good, she has backed right off.

The whole point in that massive story is to advise you to stand up to the bully! Bullies are pathetic people riddled with jealousy and when they are confronted they back off. If you dont feel able to do that, definitely tell your boss

Best of luck x

AmyB
20-11-12, 18:21
Thank you all.
I'm in the care profession on a Dementia Unit.
I can't tell you how rewarding my job is and according to my seniors I'm one of their best cares. ( not blowing my own trumpet or anything)
I do just think this woman is jealous. I have never done or said a thing to her so I can't understand why there is so much hated towards me.

I don't want to leave my job as I've only been there 6 months.
Maybe when I'm at work next ill have another discussion with my boss.

The fact that I'm a worrier and an anxious person is probably why this situation has taken over my life so much.
I wish I could let these people had their horrible ways ride over me but I can't.
:(

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

I work for a private care home so I'm not sure if they have a union.

What complicated things is that we knew each other ( through the same friends ) before we started work. So I don't want this spiralling into my social life too. :(

ladymillion
20-11-12, 18:27
I work in a private nursing home too working with dementia sufferers and it is a rewarding job. Dont let anyone stand in your way! Let your boss know everything as this needs to be dealt with. I am sure you are not the only person that this woman bullies. She sounds just like the one at my work and most people cant stand her but are intimidated by her.

Wishing you well

Speranza
22-06-13, 21:52
Would it be an idea to write down what you would like to say to your boss? Then if your nerve fails you, you could just say, "I have an issue but it's something I find quite hard to speak about, so I wonder if you would read this?" (You could even write that on an envelope and put your note inside). I am sure they value you and would be horrified to hear how much this is affecting you.

Kim51
22-06-13, 21:54
I am a great believer in this I often write notes/letters to people when I haven't got the courage to say it face to face :)

flori
23-06-13, 00:11
This is the second thread tonight I have read about bullying in the workplace.

Horrible people who make life unbearable for others.

Kim does anyone witness her bullying towards you, who would be prepared to back you up.

She should be sacked.