PDA

View Full Version : Why is this happening?

Mrsg12
21-11-12, 21:20
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in here for a week or so. I had been suffering vertigo and anxiety. I won't detail my issues as I have on previous posts. I started escitalopram 13 days ago and the dizziness had stopped and I felt so much better. Until today. Today I've had a couple of dizzy episodes and I'm wondering if the meds may not be working or do I need a dosage increase??? I'm on 5mg which is the dose I was on 3 years ago and I don't remember feeling dizzy then.

Any ideas on what's causing this or has anyone else experienced this??

Please reply because I'm starting to feel anxious again and scared that the dizziness is a brain tumour or something.

TJSMITH
21-11-12, 21:31
What started your vertigo? I only ask as mine was a virus that then turned into anxiety

silent bob
21-11-12, 21:32
hi msrg, have you been getting sufficient rest and drinking plenty of water? also have you been having panic/anxiety attacks lately? it is natural for people going through anxiety/depression to fear that they suffer worst case scenario like a brain tumor wen something is wrong... usually i comfort myself by knowing if it was a tumor i would be throwing up, migraine pain beyond belief and not hust some diziness... but if you havnt had a medical for a while and it is worrying you why not schedule a full body physical to set your mind at ease and know that your body is healthy?

TJSMITH
21-11-12, 21:32
Reason I ask is because it took months for me not to have dizzy spells but does very gradually ease off completely x

Mrsg12
21-11-12, 21:50
Hey TJ the vertigo was caused by a virus and this triggered the anxiety - which I'm prone to - and the dizziness.

Bob, I have been to dr 5 times since the vertigo started and they said its anxiety...I did have something similar 6 years ago when I had a breakdown so I do try and rationalise it, I guess I'm just down because I had been feeling so much better on the meds and now I feel a bit panicky again.

Thanks so much for replying it really helps to know you're not alone x

silent bob
21-11-12, 22:34
Its all cool mrsg, just try and drink some cool water and get some rest... most of the dizzy spells for me was dehydration coz im a massive caffeine fiend and wasnt drinkin enough water in between... try not to think too much... i know its difficult to switch off but maybe research something interesting and bizzare and it might help... i recently researched the loch ness monster and 4th dimensional physics and ong did i not think about how i felt... all the equations confused me too much to be pannicky about myself lol

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

just remember how you are feeling is not a permanent state things will get better, panic anxiety and depression are just transient feelings that will pass with time and we must try not to get too hung up and distraught on them... its not like losing a leg that will never cone back, theyre feelings that are just temporarily hanging around and the more you disregard them and keep your life on track the less they will bother you :)

Mrsg12
22-11-12, 07:36
That's interesting, I usually try and carry a bottle of water around with me but I've forgotten the past two days and have had long spells of not drinking anything due to my job so I will definately try and remember my water intake and I had cut down in caffeine but since I had been feeling less anxious had not been watching my intake!

Thanks again x

karenp
22-11-12, 09:33
I hope you feel so much better soon...I've never suffered with virtigo but my friend did when she went on normal Citalopram for a while, I know one of the side effects listed is dizziness so I'm sure that's all it is, ust an horrible side effect and things will pick up one you adjust more and more to the meds. I'm also on day 13 at 5mg's and I'm struggling with mornings a bit, though by this time I AM starting to feel better but have been awake since 3-30am feeling really low and aggitated. It's bad heads wth me too so I've already had some paracetamols and lots of water and feel miles better now, plus I've had some fresh air taking William along to school. I'm going to try and go into town ater school tonight with my sister and her 2 kids instead of being couped up dwelling on how I am feeling, which hopefully by then will be really good anyhow. All the best darl xxx

Tunnel
22-11-12, 14:27
Day 43 for me.

I feel great. Its almost astonishing to me how good ive felt in the past few weeks. I can't remember a period in the last 10 years of going a week or two without being seriously triggered by something. This med is really helping me, ive said it before but i truthfully can't believe i was so stupid as to not go on this med 5 years ago. People, it gets better i can't stress that enough. It was a little rocky for me in the first few weeks also, but it was manageable. The payoff is worth it. So stick with it, it only gets better. The key is to get to day 30. I havent really had a bad day since. If i had a trigger of anxiety, it was minor and i was able to deal with it far more easily and not let it bring me down. :)

You also must believe this med will work for you! Don't worry that it won't! Some people seem to want to increase their dosage very early on because they are feeling lousy, the truth is this is a slow reacting drug and 10 - 20 days is not enough time for this drug to get fully into your system. Id wait 4 weeks minimum before changing anything.

The only other thing i can suggest is force yourself to eat properly even if you dont have the appetite and drink water. When you don't eat you decrease the serotonin levels in your brain which makes things worse.

Stick with it people! The pay off is coming!

Take care.

Mike

karenp
22-11-12, 16:08
I'm going to stay on 5mg's for atleast a good month and see how I feel before upping anymore. (I can't wait to get to day 30, lol!!!! Half way there I guess!) I do think there has been improvements already for me, I have had some anxiety today but ust a bit of nervousness, nothing major and it's the early mornings that are a struggle at the mo but I've felt alot worse put it that way. It's so good to read positive things so ta Mike (:
Hope you are feeling a bit better now Mrs G.