PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Neighbours

adamaudio
22-11-12, 11:28
I hope this is the right place to post..

We live right down south of the UK and overlook stunning countryside and views. We have neighbours next door, who have always been awkward but we have kept our distance from them, so as not to cause any unpleasantness.

This works fine.

However the neighbours to one side (awkward and nasty) own the first field in front of us, which then rolls down into a stunning valley.

For no reason at all which we can't fathom, they have said that they want to put trees up right infront of our windows overlooking the view! blocking everything off (as its technically on their land) which would be crazy!! There is no reason for this to do with boundaries etc - its just because they dont want us to see the view?!

Everyone who comes to visit says the view is spectacular, and if this DID go ahead, I think it would be so spiteful and stupid that visitors would laugh at the absurdity of it..

The thing is, would anyone know where i go to check this out legally and to see what could be done as its causing anxiety to me, my wife and my children..:weep:

I'm pretty sure this can't be done and spitefully blocking off a magical view?
:weep:

Adam
(Kent)

Col
22-11-12, 17:30
Hi Adam, I'll check it out with my hubby , whose got a senior role at Irwin Mitchell's solicitors and has worked in law for 13 years , so I will ask him!

I love the country side and although I live in a city, I do envy anyone who has views the way you described yours. What a shame , there are some really nasty individuals out there and year in year out in the UK things seem to be getting worse! I'm from Yorkshire and as a child I remember being told that we are regarded as pleasant people and as i was growing up I also remember, people being generally warmer. But now , very cold and isolated, everyone seems to be and seems to be - out for themselves. Communities are lost and divided. A real shame!

The other thing that lead me to your post is the ' awkward neighbor thing' I've had recently and came to NMP for advice! My new neighbor, newly divorced and used to have tenants in the house but, has got rid of them ( landlady ), so she can come and live here. Anyway if you want ( if ur bored) my thread -
noisy neighbors if you know what I mean ~ explains all! It's awful having neighbors that are soo brazen and to call them a neighbor , really is a contradiction of terms when they cause distress to , your entire family!

Sorry for the rant , but I can relate, I'll ask my hubby when he gets home.

Takecare

NoPoet
22-11-12, 21:28
Yeah I think you have a right to complain if they want to obstruct your view.

You might even be able to get local campaigners on your side, since there will always be resistance to stuff like this if it spoils a location's natural beauty. Good luck with this, I know what it's like to have a neighbour who simply cannot stop interfering in other peoples' lives.

adamaudio
23-11-12, 15:19
Thank you Col for your help. I would be interested to see what your hubby thinks or any advice that he could offer or point me too..

Thanks PsychoPoet, although as its just a private view with us lucky enough to have a couple of houses, im not sure others would campaign for it :blush:

Col
24-11-12, 15:52
Hi again Adam , I spoke to my hubby and he said if you purchased the house you live in recently, get them ( ur solicitors ) to look at the deeds, most solicitors will have a look for you free of charge ( wow ) to outline where the boundary lines are around your property in relation o the neighbour however, if your 100% sure that where they want to plant these trees is on, their property but ~ will block your view to such an extent then apparently, hubby said something about a law of , air and space. Meaning that you could have a case because if it's going to block your entire view, ie completely block your view and hence the amount of light you receive through your windows, you could persue this premis. My husband says the best thing to do is, seek independent advice from a solicitor or citizens advice beureau for exact info, but says you possibly have got a serious case to dispute this.

Hope this helps Col

adamaudio
26-11-12, 08:22
Thank you Col, this help is invaluable should they proceed to make our lives hell!