PDA

View Full Version : Anxious that im infertile!

GirlAfraid23
22-11-12, 19:45
I've been sitting here crying half the evening as im convinced in infertile.
I have never tried for a baby but im thinking I may have polycystic ovaries. Ive always suffered from hormonal acne & although I have regular periods they are very heavy.
I am very broody at the moment but my partner isnt ready at all. I'm worried the longer I leave it the harder it will get.
I know this is an irrational fear as it hasn't been confirmed or anything. But like everything I've convinced myself I am.

Annie0904
22-11-12, 19:50
Even having polycystic ovaries doesn't mean you can't have babies. I have 2 friends with polycystic ovaries. One of them has 3 children and the other just had her first baby in August. The chances are you haven't got them anyway :)x

ElizabethJane
23-11-12, 15:58
Even having polycystic ovaries doesn't mean you can't have babies. I have 2 friends with polycystic ovaries. One of them has 3 children and the other just had her first baby in August. The chances are you haven't got them anyway :)x
If you have pcos then it will be extremely difficult if not impossible without help to become pregnant. Part of pcos means that you do not produce eggs that are big enough in size to ovulate and be viable and be fertilised. if you have pcos then you will not ovulate every month and the womb lining just increases until eventually it breaks down and a period occurs hence erratic heavy periods. It sounds as if you do not have pcos as you would be experiencing very long or an absence of periods altogether. Your GP can send you for a blood test which could check hormone levels. Heavy periods could mean that you have fibroids or endometriosis and that is also worth checking out as this can affect your fertility. EJ

lo89
23-11-12, 16:26
I have this worry too - well, not that I am infertile as I have been pregnant twice with my partner, but that I will not be able to carry a baby as I have had two miscarriages.
I don't have pcos but one of my friends does. She thought she had a ruptured cyst and went to a&e with her mum - turns out she was pregnant! So yes it is possible to get pregnant naturally with pcos.
I have always had hormonal acne - my skin looks like a teenagers skin right now, I have abut 20 big red spots on my face, and I can actually use a spot outbreak to predict when my period will arrive!
I did get heavy irregular periods until I used hormonal contraception for a year and since then they have got much lighter - have you tried this?

Annie0904
23-11-12, 16:34
I have this worry too - well, not that I am infertile as I have been pregnant twice with my partner, but that I will not be able to carry a baby as I have had two miscarriages.

I had 2 miscarriages and then went on to have 3 healthy babies. I had the same worry that I would never be able to carry a baby, I hope that your next pregnancy will be successful as it was for me x

lo89
23-11-12, 16:50
Thanks Annie - we are not trying for a while as I have literally, as of about two hours ago, qualified as a teacher, so we are going on a few holidays over the next year, then probably save for a place together (and I would like to be married first!)

Annie0904
23-11-12, 16:56
Thanks Annie - we are not trying for a while as I have literally, as of about two hours ago, qualified as a teacher, so we are going on a few holidays over the next year, then probably save for a place together (and I would like to be married first!)

Congratulations on qualifying as a teacher :yesyes:

ElizabethJane
23-11-12, 18:13
I have pcos and was unable to conceive naturally. I had one successful course of IVF and conceived my son now aged fourteen.Having polycystic ovary syndrome might mean that you have some of the symptoms or all of them. If you don't ovulate or ovulate only some of the time you will not become pregnant. I'm a bit cynical about taking the pill - it might regulate the cycle but then you don't ovulate so the bleed is breakthrough bleed. It just masked all my symptoms and did not help me become pregnant. EJ

Stands mum
23-11-12, 19:23
Hi - just wanted to clarify a bit about pcos. It is a spectrum condition, meaning you can have it mildly through to severely. Some people with it will not conceive without help, and others (like me, I have pcos) will (I have two little boys both conceived naturally). The main, and most obvious symptom of pcos is irregular periods. If you have a regular cycle when you are't on the pill or other hormonal contraception, it's unlikely you have pcos. :)

ElizabethJane
23-11-12, 21:26
Hi - just wanted to clarify a bit about pcos. It is a spectrum condition, meaning you can have it mildly through to severely. Some people with it will not conceive without help, and others (like me, I have pcos) will (I have two little boys both conceived naturally). The main, and most obvious symptom of pcos is irregular periods. If you have a regular cycle when you are't on the pill or other hormonal contraception, it's unlikely you have pcos. :)

i'm not an expert on pcos but the main symptom is the inability to produce viable eggs. The easiest way to detect pcos is by ultrasound. If there are many cysts i.e.fluid filled sacs which may or may not have eggs inside them then then pcos usually diagnosed.(poly cystic) I did not ovulate every month and the eggs that I produced were not viable i.e. not big enough to be fertilised. I did not however put on loads of weight or become very hairy or spotty. My periods were haywire though. You were very lucky to conceive with pcos. EJ

Starmist
23-11-12, 21:36
My Aunt has PCOS and she has had two healthy children over the last 8 years both natural conceptions.

If you're really worried about it why not take a trip to the Doctors and get yourself checked out? It'll put your mind at rest and you won't have it in the back of your mind :)

SamanthaAU
23-11-12, 22:01
I have PCOS and wasn't ovulating properly and I have 3 beautiful children without the help of medicine xxx