PDA

View Full Version : Just had a panic attack, now I can't sleep.

Rls1994
23-11-12, 23:14
Hi guys,

so I was just about to get all comfortable for bed until one of my family members come in my room and says 'Rach, I think I'm going to throw up' then runs out of the room. I have a SEVERE phobia of vomiting and at that moment I could NOT breathe. I was shaking like a leaf and my heart felt like it was going to leap out of my throat. Turns out that it was just a joke and they're fine. I got extremely angry and asked them why they would do such a thing, then they sigh and say 'Rach, you need to take a joke'. I mean really now?! They know full well of my phobia, yet did something like that. I was tired before this happened, and now I feel wide awake and still feel a bit shakey.

Ugh, does anyone have some advice? Thanks.

panickyme
23-11-12, 23:20
Awwww you will be alright, just try to relax. You just got yourself all worked up. Try to calm down, and try to rest again.:hugs:

little scientist
23-11-12, 23:22
Sorry to hear you had such a fright tonight! Firstly, tell yourself that your panic cannot hurt you.

Have you had any cbt for your phobia? A phobia such as yours would be a good candidate for cbt I think :) Also, for incidents like this would a relaxation cd be of any use to you?

claire_2910
23-11-12, 23:23
Rather than tackling the issue of why they did it, take deep breathes in for 4 and out for 8. Do this for about 10 minutes until your anxiety subsides. Then keep doing your breathing and maybe play a game on your phone/laptop to take your mind off it, keep doing this until you feel tired. The breathing brings you back to realtiy. Remember your thoughts are creating the feeling. You will be fine!! Xxxx

Rls1994
23-11-12, 23:27
Thank you panickyme, I feel a bit better now. :)

I'm going to try focus on my breathing and nothing else. It usually works.

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Hi guys!

Thank you for the replies, the deep breathing definitely works. :) I'm going to read for a little while, till I eventually feel tired enough to sleep.

Oh and I have not had CBT yet, but I am going to have it eventually. It takes ages to get seen these days! :weep:

panickyme
23-11-12, 23:28
Good Job, I know it is so scarey, when we are startled like that, but you are doing a great job!:hugs:

NeilP
24-11-12, 13:45
That wasn't very nice of your family member! But I agree with Claire, if you're startled into a panic like that you should try not to think about the "whys" - just think about your breathing and anything to take your mind off the cause. If you have plans anytime soon, think about those - that's normally my port of call when I am really anxious. I'm glad you are doing better!