PDA

View Full Version : i dont know where to put myself...

dread
24-11-12, 01:07
.....in terms of 'recovery' or 'relapse' :(

I'd been in 60mg citalopram for about 3 years, 40 and 20 the year or so before. I recently (about 7 weeks ago) finished meds altogether. I weaned off and the withdrawal wasn't good but I did it.
I have started having quite high anxiety again, although not as bad as before I was on meds, but definitely worse than when I was on meds. I have quite a bit of control over my anx following cbt, and our saviours Claire weekes, but I am terrified this is going to be a relapse fir me. I have had a few beginnings of attacks which I've managed to bring myself out of, but it was hard, particularly as I have a head cold and ffeel dizzy. It seems that there are now definite things that are 'triggers', like driving down steep hills, busy buses, hot cramped rooms, whereas before, on meds, I could not identify anything as a trigger.

I suppose really I just need reassurance, as I'm worried I may have to go back on meds, although the thought of going back on meds is another trigger, and I'd like tto be okay without them really :/

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

*apologies from the grammar my phone is ill-educated!

Richard1960
24-11-12, 01:42
Hi Dread.

60mg of Citalopram is an extremely high dose usually only 40mg a day is the maximum how long were you being weaned off them for? if it was rushed your body will not have had time to adjust without them most likely,you are supposed to withdraw quite slowly.

Having said that if you feel you are coping abeit with difficulty give it a while to see if your body adjusts and try not to worry.

However if you feel you are relapsing it will be important to go back to your doctors for say a small maintenance amaount,which is definately not a sign of failure,just a sign after such high doses your body may not be quite ready to totally need no meds at all.

Well done though you seem to be doing ok if you can keep going.:)

Richard.

BobbyDog
24-11-12, 06:36
Well don for coming off such a high dose, if the anxiety does come back, ask yourself which is the worse of two evils medication, or anxiety. Seek help if your health deteriorates.

dread
24-11-12, 18:11
I was on the 60mg for about 3 years, but after 'new medical research' i was taken off them. I wasn't sure if it was because of that or because I was doing so well. But it took about a year... went down to 40, then 30 then 20, 3 months at a time. I have been meds free for about 2 months so I thought the withdrawel would be over with by now, but maybe not. 3 years on 60mg is quite high i suppose!

I think in comparison to a few years ago, or even last year, my anxiety is massively reduced and I can go a few days without even thinking about it...so we shall see. Thanks for the replies :)