PDA

View Full Version : new member

grace
09-06-04, 15:33
hi everyone
i have been having anxiety and panic attacks for about fifteen years. i thought i had it under control to a certain extent but for the last year have had real problems driving. i have driven for years and have never had any problems before this, its so strange i cant even go to the next town without my rescue remedy and my lavander oil and someone sitting with me talking to me.....
i hope to meet like minded friends on here. if anyone wants to get in touch with me that would be great
xxx grace

seh1980
09-06-04, 18:00
Hi there Grace,

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll find as much support here as I have. There are a lot of people here who have problems when driving. I haven't driven for the past two years but am lucky because my boyfriend has a car and he drives us everywhere. There are quite a few on the site about driving so if you take a look at those, I'm sure you'll find some very useful information.
Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

grace
09-06-04, 18:40
hi sarah
thanks for the welcome.
yes i've been reading the site for the last few days before posting and did see some others with the same problem. its nice to know im not alone. although i do talk openly about my anxieties now its still good to talk with people who feel the same way
thanks again for replying and hope we can chat sometime

xxx grace

sarah
09-06-04, 19:01
Hiya Grace

Welcome to the site!
Everyone is great on here and always willing to help each other so Im glad you found us :)
have you been in the chatroom?, why not come in and say hello if you havent. People are in there from about 9pm most nights, hope to see you there

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

nomorepanic
09-06-04, 19:34
Hi Grace

Welcome to the site.

My problems are whilst driving too - have you read My Story on the website and the Coping page that offers tips on how to deal with driving?

Welcome aboard.

Nicola

grace
09-06-04, 21:23
hi sarah and nicola,
thanks for your welcome's,you're all very kind.
sarah...thanks, im glad i found this site aswell, you all sound nice. i will try the chatrooms,thanks for the invite.
nicola... i read your story, i hadn't read it before although i've been checking out the site for a few days. i was interested to read that you're problems are just like mine, your fears are mine too,lifts, planes, etc, its spooky... but not shopping, i used to fear it so much, i would get a sweat on just going in the corner shop but now im ok with that and i can shop for england...
i live in shropshire and my family are in the north east so i have a long drive up the m6 to visit them and it was there where i had my first anxiety attack while driving. that was the worst journey of my life. i had my youngest son asleep in the back seat and i knew that i was going to faint (even though i never had before)cos i wasnt breathing properly and crash the car with him in it. but i didnt, i was ok and got to my mams house in one piece but very shaken. that was a year ago and i have never driven up the m6 myself since, the thought of it is bad enough....

xxx grace

sal
09-06-04, 22:15
Hi Grace

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear you have suffered so long. You will find lots of support and help here. Where are your family from in the north east? Im a northern girl. Speak soon.

Sal xxxx

grace
09-06-04, 23:25
hi sal
thanks for your welcome,nice to hear from another northener. my family are from darlington, county durham. where are you from? i dont get up there too often now with the driving thing,only once in the last year when my husband could drive us. hopefully i'll have it under control soon so i can travel again.i'm a great believer in that for every problem there is a solution, its just a matter of finding it
hope we can talk soon

xxx grace

sal
10-06-04, 00:25
Hi Grace

True for every problem there has to be a solution (answer). Well i know Darlington really well. I live in Bishop Auckland but went to school in Darlington (Polam Hall LOL). Did you grown up in the north. Small world isnt it! Most people would see Darlington and in County Durham and think WOT When you said north east i automatically thought of newcastle!!! You will have to tell me when you next plan to visit, as im only 15 mins from Darlo!!! Thats how us notherners call it. Take care and speak real soon. Pleased you came on site.

Sal xxxx

grace
10-06-04, 09:40
thanks sal
yes i was born and bred in darlo... lived there till about seven years ago. i wont be visiting for some time yet,apart from the driving thing im off on holiday in mid july till september so maybe after that i can pluck up some courage and go head to head with the m6..... i will definately let you know and we can meet up, that will be great.
my daughter used to go to polam hall for ballet lessons...

xxx grace

Meg
10-06-04, 15:10
Hi Grace ,

Welcome to the site.
What kind of help have you had in the past/ now to help with your issues ?

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

nomorepanic
10-06-04, 19:18
Grace

I am not so bad at shopping now but never was a real big shopper so nothing has changed there. I am able to do supermarkets etc ok now.

A lot of sufferers have the same problems so we all recognise the same problem areas/symptoms.

Have you had any treatment atall?

Nicola

grace
10-06-04, 22:09
hi meg and nicola
this is the third time im writing this, i hope it works this time.....
about 8-9 years ago i was seeing a woman who did reprogramming with kinisiology. that was good but when i moved house i didnt find anyone else to carry it on.
i did see a hypnotist but that wasnt for me.
i dont take any medication cos i have a bit of a phobia about that.
i watch what i eat, try to avoid additives, caffiene, alcohol etc. i dont really do any excersise which i should (i used to swim quite a bit) but i do a lot of gardening which is hard work sometimes but very relaxing. i have a bookcase full of self help books and tapes. i take my lavander oil on car journeys and rescue remedy is always to hand. also lavander oil in a bath is very calming, i do affirmations, and stimulating the pressure points on my forehead (i dont know if you read my post to sadie on general anxiety)which works really well for me (and for others who i have told). years ago i was a total wreck but now i think i do ok, its mostly under control, i still have phobias but the panic is just in the car now. i also find that being open to people and laughing about it helps. if someone wants a lift off me i tell them i might panic so keep talking to me......

meg-thanks for the welcome

xxx grace

sal
10-06-04, 22:19
Hi Grace

Pleased to hear from you again. Thats one thing i didnt do at Polam Hall ballet lessons, cant see me and dance getting on well LOL

Enjoyed my time there but sure my parents think it was a waste of money LOL

Keep in touch. Still go out on a night into Darlington, best Saturday night in the north.

Lots of love Sal xxxxxx

Meg
10-06-04, 22:26
Sal - don't worry -
I got chucked out of ballet in 3rd year.

I overheard the teacher tell Mum I would be better suited for boy scouts as I 'was first cousin to a baby elephant'. I was almost 6 foot then..
Mum - bless her - put it a lot more kindly when she suggested the move a few days later

Grace - You just have this one limitation left - well done for managing it so well. You will get over it by gentle continued exposure with affirmations.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Tessie28
11-06-04, 09:27
Hi Grace,

you'll get plenty of support here. This forum has kept me going the last few weeks:). Take care,
love Tess

grace
11-06-04, 09:40
thanks meg and tess,
i really like this site, everyone is so friendly,i feel at home already.
one problem, i cant get on the chat, do i have to download something?

xxx grace

Meg
11-06-04, 15:02
I can't guide you on that one Grace. I think there is an issue with Windows XP and Sun technology something about a Java bit.. Stand by till Nic can advise ..

Meg

nomorepanic
11-06-04, 18:10
Hi grace

Glad you have settled in here. :D

As for the chat room. It does need Java enabling. This is usually an option under "tools, internet options and then the advanced tab" (assuming you are using Internet explorer).

Do you manage to get to the login screen where you just enter a name or are you not even getting that far?

We will get you in there somehow ;)

Nicola

jo-jo
11-06-04, 22:23
Hi there Grace

You've definately arrived at a great place - there will always be someone here for you. Sorry to hear that your're not feeling so good about driving right now - but you're certainly not alone. Love to hear how you're getting on.

Good luck
Jo xx

grace
12-06-04, 00:32
hi jo
thanks for that. yes the driving thing is a bit of a bummer. i dont know what i'll do next week cos my sister in law is coming from turkey for two weeks and she'll expect me to take her out here there and everywhere... have to stock up on the rescue remedy :)

xxx grace

Meg
12-06-04, 10:13
Is it still such an issue if you have company in the car ?

It may be a great opportunity to practice.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

grace
12-06-04, 11:09
i think it will be ok cos she only speaks turkish and my turkish is only moderate so i have to really concentrate on what she is saying when we are chatting. i think that will help me keep my mind off being scared.. i hope :)

xxx grace

me
16-06-04, 13:03
hello grace welcome to the site its great im sure you will find it a great help like so many of us have x take care and keep in touch love from mary x

grace
16-06-04, 13:14
hi mary,
thanks for the welcome
i've been here a week now and i think its great, everyone is so nice and i feel like i'm among friends.
i love that i can talk to people who have the same stuff going on as me, although i dont hide my anxiety and phobias from people anymore its still good to talk to people who have had the same experiences and really know whats what

xxx grace