PDA

View Full Version : Dr said it could be cancer...

Anxiety Jim
26-11-12, 15:20
Hi everyone,

I've managed to stay relatively panic free for a few months, but also over those few months I've been having stomach pain, which I've posted about a few times on here.

I went to the Dr's again today after just having 2 weeks worth of treatment for a stomach ulcer, which they thought it might be. It didn't help. So I went back today and he's putting me in for an ultra sound scan of my abdomen.

He said "the worst it could possibly be is stomach cancer, but I don't think it will be, your blood tests came back fine which is reassuring."

I'm now really terrified, it must be bad if my GP brings up the word cancer :-(

ReissG
26-11-12, 15:24
He said he doesn't think it is, his just saying a possibility!
Like when you go to a doctor with a sore throat, could be throat cancer
swollen lymph node, could be lymphoma.
Somethings take time :)
How old are you?

Jamesk
26-11-12, 15:26
Jim, I know it's easy to say and I would be crawling up the wall in tyour place but try and focus on the wordss he used "the worst it could possibly be."

So in the first palce it could be many many other things, in the second place becuase you have pursued it at worst it could be that thing, but I have 4 friends who have all had stomach cancer, which was caught early and from which they have recovered - it is incredibly treatable if you don't ignore the symptoms.

But for now focus on those words "at worst" and let's all hope it isn't "at worst."

Best of thoughts with you.

Anxiety Jim
26-11-12, 15:29
I'm 24 which I know is quite young for stomach cancer, but stupidly I looked up the statistics on cancer research uk, and there were 20 cases of stomach cancer in 20-29 year olds in 2010. But I'm also 22 stone, down from 24 6 months ago, which is really obese, and my diet is awefull.

Also I do have a lump behind my right ear that I forgot to mention today becuase I was panicking when he said cancer. Now I'm thinking that's another sign of the cancer :-(

Thanks for you reply.

lo89
26-11-12, 15:37
The lump behind your ear is probably not related - if it were a lymph node swelling due to cancer then it would most likely be in your groin area as the nodes behind your ear drain from the head and neck area, not your stomach.
The very worst case scenario for every symptom is cancer - but it rarely equates to cancer.
Yes 20 people in your age group got stomach cancer in 2010, but also 269 people were struck by lightning in the US that year - so you are 10x more likely yo get struck by lightning than you are to get stomach cancer - are you scared witless about being struck by lightning also?

almamatters
26-11-12, 15:42
Jim I am where you are at the moment even down to the flipping lymph node behind ear. I have been told this is unrelated to my stomach and digestive issues. I am older than you and the GP is pretty confident mine is not cancer but does not stop me thinking it is. You are best to not worry until you have been for the ultrasound. How long have you got to wait?

Anxiety Jim
26-11-12, 15:49
I'm pretty sure in the UK there's more chances of getting stomach cancer in your 20's than being hit by lighting tbh. But knowing how unhealthy I am makes me think it's a certainty.

The doctor said I should here in a week or two about my scan, which makes me think it was marked as urgent...

He was talking about my gall bladder, but my pain is on my left hand side. The only things there (I think) are stomach and pancreas.

:-(

almamatters
26-11-12, 15:55
I asked GP significance of blood tests today as I worry constantly about them and he said they are a good indication of anything sinister going on, obviously other tests are needed but they are a good starting point.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

When I had pancreatis (spelling) my pain was not on left hand side , not going to say where it was because of people's HA.

Anxiety Jim
26-11-12, 15:57
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I've thought it was stomach/pancreatic cancer for several months, my GP always dismissed my claims but it seems the longer it goes on the closer and closer he's getting to cancer.

lo89
26-11-12, 15:58
5 people are killed in the UK each year by being struck by lightning. 15 people die falling off ladders in the UK each year. It reassured me a bit!

Jamesk
26-11-12, 16:01
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I've thought it was stomach/pancreatic cancer for several months, my GP always dismissed my claims but it seems the longer it goes on the closer and closer he's getting to cancer.

Honestly I don't know that that follows. When I was convinced I had mouth cancer (12 years probably ago) I just went on and on and on for so long that eventually my Doctor said "well it's possible it could be...." and sent me to have tests.

Think of it from his perspective its possible it is stomach cancer, no matter how remote that possibility is so if your Doctor just kept saying it wasn;t and it turned out to be that very remote possibility then he would be in a difficult position. So I really wouldn't interpret his admission it is a technical possibility as meaning he thinks it is.

Does that make any sense at all?

almamatters
26-11-12, 16:04
I agree James the more you go on to GP about an illness the more likely they will consider it as a possibility. I did this with a brain tumour earlier this year. Went on and on till he sent me for a MRI scan. Perhaps tests sometimes are a reassurance thing for anxious patients

angrry
26-11-12, 16:21
Hi again Jim...sorry you're still going through this. If I go on about an illness to my doc i end up getting lectured..lol...although i need to go back to him...still lots of stomach and abdominal pain...i may not be as worried if my pancreas had been visible on the ultrasound last month...hope you get you answers soon Jim

Anxiety Jim
26-11-12, 17:11
Hi everyone,

Thee thing is I didn't mention my stomach/pancreatic cancer worries he just came out with it himself. I guess because the ulcer medication didn't work.

It wasn't my normal GP so he didn't know about my stomach cancer worries, but he also doesn't know about my HA...

angrry
26-11-12, 17:25
maybe you need a different medication Jim...or a higher does of the one you've been on. You also may need a scope of your stomach to see if there is an ulcer there.. i believe that's what's next for me. I need to go back to my doc and tell him my meds haven't really improved anything....trouble is I phoned this morning and he's closed all this week.

almamatters
26-11-12, 17:32
Yes Jim like angrry says an endoscopy will check for ulcers, etc. Am currently waiting for one, am in a similar position to you as my acid reflux tablets are no longer working so endoscopy is the next step.

turnthelighton
26-11-12, 17:55
I am sure if the doctors were that worried they would put in for tests straight away. I do understand you worries I have been having lower abdominal pain for over two weeks and feeling uncomfortable. I have been to the doctors and they did a lot of prodding etc and said it all seemed fine. I did laugh as I have very overweight and wondered how they could feel any organs. You are doing the right thing by going to the doctor and staying off Dr Google. I am sure also that the blood tests would have shown something. Could it be IBS?

livethelife
26-11-12, 22:33
i am a 47 year old female and have had gi issues for the last year. went on a ppi to cure my supposed ulcer. i say supposed because it was never confirmed but i certainly had the right symptoms. gnawing pain waking me up at night that was relieved with food. medication seemed to help. i was supposed to get the h pylori test done but never did. have you been tested for that?

this past summer the pain came back. back on the ppi. pain went away but it took awhile. a month at least and i stayed on for two months. then had h pylori test done which was negative. i had mixed feelings about that. had it been positive it would have given a good reason for my ulcer / stomach pain. if it was positive i could have it treated but then would be at higher risk for stomach cancer.

anyway i still have gi symptoms like bloating and constipation and sometimes a sore stomach. now im thinking that i have missed the boat all together and i,m freakng out because i think i have ovarian cancer. back to the doctor again this wednesday. quite nervous.

anyway you should get tested for h pylori if you havent been yet.