PDA

View Full Version : Lung issues - going for an X-ray this afternoon

Twinsmummy
27-11-12, 13:09
Hello all

It has been a while since I posted and I know I have HA but this time I feel stupid as it may be something serious that I have ignored.

I used to have terrible bronchitis as a child that I grew out of in my late teens, but the last couple of years I have had a few nasty chest infections tat have needed prednisone to clear and I am on the brown daily inhaler because my peak flow results were so bad. My friend, who is a retired consultant, can't believe that I haven't been xrayed in this time.

I went to my GP this morning as I have worked myself up into a complete state about this and he has referred me for an X-ray this afternoon. He said there is something clearly going on that needs checking:ohmy:

My symptoms are: a rattle in the bottom of my right lung that comes and goes but can usually be cleared with a good cough, the last couple of colds I had I have had some very bloody phlegm (although it felt like it was coming from my sinuses), and have felt a bit breathless since I had a cold a few weeks ago. I forgot to mention to my GP that I have had a lump in my side that is sore at the bottom of my right ribs for quite a while now (although I have just been diagnosed with a gallstone by ultrasound a few weeks ago - would a serious lump have been picked up by ultrasound). I am so scared it is a serious problem (don't want to use the 'c' word) in my lung.

I have never been diagnosed with asthma, because I haven't had the tests but I have read that you cannot get one sided asthma anyway?

I feel so stupid that I should have been checked a couple of years ago and I am completely freaked out at the thought of waiting for another week for the result.

Sorry for rambling, am going crazy.

Good health to you all
Cx

robin321
27-11-12, 13:22
Based on your post, I would think you have chronic bronchitis or something. Try not to stress. And at least you don't have to wait for the xray.
And yes, I think an ultrasound would pick up a lump.

Twinsmummy
27-11-12, 13:48
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I admit that sounds feasible but I can't help spiralling into a panic. How I'm going to get through the next few hours/days etc.

I love Canada, wish I was there...
Cx

isybelle
27-11-12, 18:48
How did it go love?

X

Twinsmummy
28-11-12, 08:22
Hi Isybelle

The xray was fine but I asked the technician if she could tell me anything and she told me to contact my GP in 10/11 days, I said that it was going to be an anxious wait and she very cheerfully agreed. All made worse as I overheard an elderly lady asking if her husband's x-rays were clear and the nurse whispered that he was fine (and it was a chest x-ray clinic). I know a radiologist has to look at them but surely they could email the results rather than relying on post! Also what if you have pneumonia, do you wait 10 days for that - grrr!

Sorry to rant, I just feel like my life is on hold and I have sooo much going on in the next week or so.

Thank you so much for asking, I hope you have a healthy and happy day.
Cx

isybelle
28-11-12, 13:01
HI love

There's nothing worse than waiting foe results I once burst into tears after abdominal ultrasound when they wouldn't tell me then and there.

It was all fine of course outfit was horrible waiting :(

If it was anything serious thhyd have to tell you then or least get results to gp urgently so ten days is likely to be a good sign! Xxx

Twinsmummy
28-11-12, 16:14
Dear Isybelle

Thank you so much again for your comment, what a great way of looking at it, I'll try and think of it that way...

I'm glad was all well with your ultrasound. Do you think anyone ever recovers from this health anxiety? I have worn my husband's patience thin!

Big hugs
Cx

Annie0904
28-11-12, 16:16
My friend had a chest xray on Monday and she has been told to wait 10 days also. It is awful waiting but if it was serious they would get in touch sooner x

almamatters
28-11-12, 16:24
I had to wait 7 days but it was a long long wait! Wishing you all the best :hugs: :hugs:

Anxious_gal
28-11-12, 17:31
Is it normal to have to wait? I think if anything was wrong they would inform you right away?

kirstynic
29-11-12, 19:35
They would inform you ASAP, my dad was Dx with lung cancer in February he had X-ray Tuesday morning and a call from doctor Tuesday afternoon that day still haunts me. Good luck with your results xx

Twinsmummy
10-12-12, 20:30
Thank you all so much for replying, I didn't know anyone else had posted. My results were clear or 'satisfactory' as they say (such an uninspiring phrase!'). I haven't been this anxious for a while. It started again when my friend was dying in August (3 years older than me - terminal breast cancer) and I started getting indigestion, burping and struggling to breathe. My throat now feels like it is closing up and for once I am happy to put this down to anxiety and stress - mainly because it all improves drastically when I'm distracted, but it is one of the most uncomfortable and frightening feelings I've ever had. It hasn't stopped me from googling stomach and oesophageal cancers and scaring myself witless.

I want to thank you all for being there but I am truly sorry if you feel how I feel. I sometimes think that one of these days something serious will be wrong and how much I will regret all of the years I have spent miserably examining myself, and the Internet, and how much of my and my family's lives I have wasted worrying instead of just living. To would think my friend's death would have taught me that....

Send you all a hug
Cx

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

To Kirstynic

I am sorry, I wanted to add how sorry I am for your father's diagnosis and I have posted on your thread about lymph nodes.
Cx

almamatters
10-12-12, 20:31
Glad your results were all clear. :hugs: :hugs: xxx

kirstynic
10-12-12, 20:45
Thank you really glad your results are all good xx