PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of mini stroke/numbness

owls
27-11-12, 14:58
Hi, I just came across this forum and I had no idea a health anxiety forum existed and it makes me so happy to know i'm not alone.

I don't think my doctor and the emergency room doctor diagnosed me right. They say my anxiety is causing all these symptoms but it doesn't seem accurate! I feel like i'm a ticking time bomb for a stroke. My hands keep going numb. Its been happening for over a month and the left side of my face has been tingling and when this is happening, I can't seem to find the right words and I sound like I just woke up or something. My anxiety can't possibly be causing this, I know my anxiety and my body and I wish someone would just listen to me before its too late and I actually do have a stroke. I am 20, and the only medications i'm taking are Wellbutrin XL 150mg and seroquel 25mg x2 a day. I could be doing absolutely nothing and my hands will go numb and I've also been so dizzy lately. When the numbness starts, it lasts about 30 minutes. I don't drink, smoke or do any type of drugs. Any input would be wonderful..

Stands mum
27-11-12, 17:07
Sorry you are feeling so bad. You are not alone as you'll see here. Have your doctors carried out any tests?

pepperutchie
27-11-12, 17:14
hi, seems so familiar to me...i have all those things when my anxiety was at its peak i can remember going from doctor to doctor for i dont believe in what they are telling me that i am fine,but how can i be fine when i have these weired symptoms that i haveeveryday,and one thing taht really scares me a lot is stroke..as long as you have been seen by a doctor and told you that you are ok try to trust yourbody that this thing is anxiety.Our health anxiety originates from only one thing FEAR..think of it as a bottled up emotion which manifest as a strong surge of energy inside our body ready to get out any moment as long as we keep it and hold it for a very long time it will for sure be manifesting and stick with us for the least time..one thing to do is to realease it its the only way..and understand that you are so fearful this brings diffrent kind of sensation to our body if you fear stroke for sure it will throw you every symptoms that stroke has..if you want someone to talk to dont hesitate to send me an e mail...btw i have those kind of symptoms 7 years ago and look at me im still here.youll be fine

cassy1989
27-11-12, 17:20
Could be a type of migraine? You don't always get headaches with migraine either but you can get numbness, tingling, confusion and have problems saying what you want to say x

Ziggy455
27-11-12, 23:42
If you don't smoke or drink, you dramatically cut down your chances of a stroke as a high percentage of stroke-sufferers are prone to be excessive smokers and drinkers. (My grandfather excessively drinks and he suffered a stroke a few years ago as did my grandmother who was, you guessed it, an excessive smoker.)

The things about strokes is, is that we worry about them but they rarely happen to people who worry about them. Strokes are rare and normally are meant only for people who need rapid lifestyle changes.

Migraines, a benign condition I suffer, INCREASE our chances of stroke but only by like 10% maximum I think? Also they can give you symptoms of many things including, strokes, and even epilepsy. You are okay. You're still here.

owls
28-11-12, 06:27
Thanks for your replies everyone. I don't have headaches but to answer your question, the doctors did a CT scan, blood work and a urine test but I guess it all came back okay?

Anxious_gal
28-11-12, 08:05
B12, it can cause physcial symptoms if you're low on it, things such as numbness, dizziness, mouth sores etc. .
Iron, now you can be either too low, or too high in Iron that's genetic though.
Seriously get your tyroid, iron, b12 checked if you haven't done so.

Check your diet to make sure you're getting enough of everything.

Migraines, there's lots of differents types.
You could be having silent ones, as in no headache.
Migraines can cause numbness typically in the hands, face and tongue.
Migraines can minic strokes too, I get those ones, headache, confusion, weakness etc. . .

Could you explain the numness a bit more?
With my migraines it always starts in my pinky finger.

Next up is too much over breathing, breathing too fast.
That causes numbness too. Very typical anxiety symptom.

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Edit: I would go to a nurologist, as they are the ones who can diagnoise migraines and those types of head/mind issues.

Look up migraines the symptom list is long.
My very first migraine symptom, I can get this symptom without the headache.
Is forgetting words.
Drives me mad, worst symptom ever!
I can't form a sentence, I forget the names for things, just like a stroke victim!

The other thing you can get is feeling strange.
Things like, feeling taller, lighter, weaker, head my feel floaty, hands might look bigger, hall ways might seem longer etc . .

Migraines can cause a billion symptoms, I've had a lot of them.

I would keep a diary of every time it happens to you.
Now I am not certain it's what you have, it's worth seeking out. a doctor.

But keep in mind anxiety it's self can cause a lot of these sympts too.
Some times I can't tell if I'm getting a migraine or if it's just anxiety .