PDA

View Full Version : Stress out?

momof4
28-11-12, 13:02
Hi everyone:) I am a proud single mom of 4 boys. I developed PPD after my fourth was born in 1996. The anxiety and panic attacks have stayed although I am much better these days than I was, I find lately that the symptoms are back. I am going through some stress lately though. I am fearful that the panic and anxiety are going to be very bad like before.
I have been on anti depressants() bad side effects anti anxiety meds ( I could not leave the house without them) and have seen a councellor with CBT ( worked well and went for 2 years).
In the last couple of months I have been dealing with grief from the death of a very good friend, my dog has congestive heart failure and probably will not last long. I just graduated from college as a Community Support Worker and I have a job at a homeless shelter ( which I love) although my hours are all graveyard shifts and I am trying to adjust to sleeping during the day, I hardly see my sons anymore as they are working and or at school (kind of feeling empty nest) and I am going through menopause. There is probably more but that is all I can think of right now.
Thank you for listening.

nomorepanic
28-11-12, 13:12
Hi momof4

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Annie0904
28-11-12, 13:13
Hi :welcome:

missybct
28-11-12, 13:41
Hi Momof4 - whereabouts in Canada are you? My favourite country :)

You sound like you've dealt with your situation really well and well done for getting through it. Also, well done on going to college and graduating - I have so much admiration for you to be going through anxiety, raising children and still graduating :)

It sounds like you are going through a pretty rough time and I know how worrying it is to feel like your symptoms are going to get worse like they were before. But take comfort in the fact you have beaten them before and you CAN do it again. Can you remember some of the techniques you used to deal with the problems before? Do you have any diaries that you made when you had CBT last? If you don't have any, it may be worth picking up a book online that can help remind you of the things you encountered before. Sometimes when our anxiety picks up, we forget or misplace the information we learnt - I know I do!

Be kind to yourself. Do things that YOU want to do - relaxing things such as a candlelit bath, a nice hot chocolate/tipple of choice and a book if you enjoy it. Personally, I find classical music very relaxing. If I am feeling the symptoms rise I tend to try and distract myself by coming on here, or talking to people on Facebook - I find if I am trying to help others, I tend to forget about my symptoms.

Have you seen your doctor recently? It may be worth booking an appointment to just discuss with him/her about your feelings.

Feel free to PM me :) x