PDA

View Full Version : newcomer but long term sufferer

chris39
28-11-12, 14:07
Hi.

Suffered my first ever panic attack when I was about 17, so about 20 years ago. I was working in a supermarket at the time loading the shelves with goods when I suddenly thought Where am I? What am I doing this for? Then the room spun and I had headache, dizziness, stiff joints due to me tensing up, chest pains, paranoia, feeling of confusion and disorientation, feeling lost and low. Suddenly bolted to the store room to try and calm down, then outside for fresh air.
That was my first time. This then continued. I went to doctors and he said you are stressed, get some rest and take some paracetomal.

This pattern of thinking then spread when I was at pubs on social occasions, at home, then through university.

Then I discovered a little alcohol helped to calm me down which I used when needed plus avoidance of situations.

Next visit to docs at the age of 22 due to a panic attack whilst driving where I just seized up. Ended up sitting in layby on A120 for an hour then driving all back roads back home to avoid other people.
Got home and couldnt leave house for week, doctor visited and prescribed diazepam 5mg 3 times a day for a week.

Since then I have been prescribed by a variety of doctors Betablockers, Seroxat, Fluoxetine, Citalopram, pericyazine and gabapentin.

I have been to see Psychologists, psychiatrists, tried CBT, anxiety management workshops and Mindfulness and Meditation. I gave up drink 8 years ago, smoking went aswell.

Current Medication is Citalopram 40mg a day, pericyazine 2.5mg (2 a day), gabapentin 300mg (3 a day) and co codamol. The latter 2 medications are for neuropathic pain which has caused by stress. And I take diazepam as and when.

I have had stable periods over the last 20 years but I quit my job 2 months ago due to anxiety. Got to the point where I visited the doc on saturday because of the current struggle and lowness. He gave me sleeping pills to calm me down for saturday and sunday until I could see the weekday doctor. Now been referred back to Linkworker for current assessment. It can be a long old battle.

missybct
28-11-12, 14:19
Hi Chris, welcome to the forums.

It is a long old battle isn't it! I've suffered from anxiety at varying degrees for 20 years too, although I am a little younger than you.

I also had to quit my job about five months ago due to the anxiety, and have had to quit many jobs because of this.

Do you have a particular trigger to your anxiety, or is it a generalised feeling?

It is good that you are going to be reassessed by the link worker. I know it feels like going through the whole thing over again; it's been the same with me over the years. I hope this time they are able to assist in some way that gives you some more freedom. Sometimes, therapy we have done in the past hasn't worked but when given another chance in a different mindset/age, it does the trick. I'm not saying it's a given, but I found when I was a teen, psychotherapy didn't work for me at all - I was too stubborn. When I had it again during my mid twenties, it managed to make a small difference.

There are lots of helpful people on this forum, and you are not alone. I'm babbling here, but wanted to reply :) x

nomorepanic
28-11-12, 14:19
Hi chris39

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

chris39
28-11-12, 14:58
There are some triggers I know of such as driving, flying and busy places but also generalised. Plus there is also some ocd behaviours which I tried to tackle in CBT.

bluesparkle
28-11-12, 17:40
hi chris
welcome to nmp ...
you will find loads of advice here and many people who understand.
i used to suffer alot and with many situations like you have said but my life has got better and so will yours.
rach
x