PDA

View Full Version : greiving

yeoman
28-11-12, 15:52
Hello, im new to this forum, i have just suffered 3 majour bereavmants in the last 7 months, firstly my mother, then my younger brother 41 and then my wife 43 my wifes loss is effecting me the worse, i feel totally lossed, and heartbroken every day, our lovely home has now become a lonely house, my doctor has prescibed me fluoxatine 20mg, i have been on them for a week, i feel light headed sick and tired, i dont mind the tired bit, as i have not had hardly any sleep for months, will these tablets benifit me in my greiving?
All the best Kev

almamatters
28-11-12, 15:56
How sad to hear your story. You have been through such a lot. Wanted to welcome you to the forum and I hope you find it as helpful as I do. There are lots of people who will offer you support. :hugs:

yeoman
28-11-12, 15:59
Thankyou very much christmas and new year i am dreading coming

Annie0904
28-11-12, 16:02
Hi, Sorry to hear you have gone through so much loss in such a short time. Have you been offered any grief counselling? I think that it may help you. Sending you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

yeoman
28-11-12, 16:12
Yes by cruse. but there is a 7 month waiting list, but they do have group meetings which i will be attending, do you think the flouxatine will help.
Atb Kev

Annie0904
28-11-12, 16:14
I think the tablets will help you but they take a few weeks to get into your system. I take different meds but I am sure they will help you with the anxiety.

bluesparkle
28-11-12, 17:36
hi kev
thats awful ... i think that would effect anyone.
you will make many friends here and hopefully we can help you along the way.
rach
x

yeoman
28-11-12, 17:38
Thankyou xx

Bill
28-11-12, 17:44
I know it will be of no consolation but my situation has been very similar in the past few years so in case it's of help there are often volunteer counsellors at hospices who will see people quickly as they did for me immediately after losing my mother over a year ago.

An after thought, but another source for finding counsellors are churches because they too have volunteers.

yeoman
28-11-12, 18:43
Thanks Bill

nicola1980
28-11-12, 18:59
Hi and welcome, am so sorry to hear what your going through :hugs: im sure the meds will help you when they kick in but i also think you need some councilling, grief is very hard to overcome especially on your own :hugs: xx

yeoman
28-11-12, 19:11
Thankyou i still cant belive my wife has gone and i will never see her again just cant take it in

panickyme
28-11-12, 22:59
Awwww I am so sorry you are going through this. This must be so hard for you. I can't even imagine. Life just does no seem fair at times. I hope your medicine, and some counseling will give you the strength to get through this, that is so much to take in, in such a short time. You are in my thoughts, and you definitely need a big hug. :hugs:

xBettyBoopx
29-11-12, 00:09
How absolutely devastating for you, I am so sorry for your losses. We all grow through the grieving process when we lose loved ones, some seem to get through quicker than others. I hope and pray you find peace in your heart.

Sorry I can't comment on flouxatine.

Keep talking, don't bottle it up that could be worse for you.

Take care

Betty
xxx

Thumbelina
29-11-12, 02:45
Hi yeoman,
I was listening a program on grieving on radio the other day and learned some new things. Apparently We can have anx and depression associated with so many different losses in our like, like loss of the job, house, friend, relationship, and loss of a close person.
Maybe it can help if you try and look scientifically at your case and try and guide uourself.
There are certain stages of grieving process and we go theough them some faster some longer.
First phase are in denial, then you become angry, then look for what if's like what could have prevented it, and that gives you guilt, then you become sad and finally accept it.
You can see yourself going through thse phases and maybe fastforward some of them if you.
I also liked that was told about grief; Time does not heal, time helps to make the time gap betwee the time with the people you grieve about and the present, time also helps to find activities to replace the time you had with your close one.
You also have to overcome grief for the sake of your late close one (s), as they definately wouldnt want you to grieve forever....
You are very strong, and think of the people that lost more family members instantly and still carry on.
Take care

Tish
29-11-12, 07:07
I'm so,so sorry for you Yeoman. I can hardly believe what you're having to go through, life has really dealt you a hard hand.
I know all about grief but everyone is different. My own advice would be to TALK to whoever will listen. I wouldn't take tablets myself as they're not going to take the pain away. Grieving, pain and loss are natural and need to be worked through. Only time can do this.
Please pm me anytime.
I found that people shy away from you when you're grieving, they feel so helpless and are frightened of saying the wrong thing which is why I want you to know that I'm here for you, if you need someone.

yeoman
29-11-12, 07:47
Thanks everyone, well not a wink of sleep and constantly feeling sick, i will give these tablets one more week if no better i will stop taking them.
Atb Kev

Thumbelina
29-11-12, 07:53
Thanks everyone, well not a wink of sleep and constantly feeling sick, i will give these tablets one more week if no better i will stop taking them.
Atb Kev

Same here, my sleep consisted of shakes, twists and turns.
And sheer terror.
Have you tried putting your favourite film or program on in the middle of the night? Try and do some totally different while you are teying to sleep and cant. I started doing my ironing in the middle of the night. Well i still continued it in panic state, but at least ironing was done as well...
:)))
Maybe trying to confuse your fears will work
Take care

sunshine1
29-11-12, 08:08
I am so sorry that you have been so through much in such a short space of time. The fluoxetine should help take the edge of things but often can take about 6 weeks to kick in (Which I found).There is no getting away from the fact that what has happened in you life has been devastating. Counselling is a good idea. People on here are good at listening in the meantime. Feel free to PM me too.

xx

soulsearcher
03-12-12, 21:31
hello I am sorry to hear of your loss loosing family members in such a short time must be really hard.I lost my mam in 2009 and this was a big trigger for my anxiety.

I felt really down at the time but decided to go to the gp for counselling he sent me to my local hospice.

They were amazing and just let me talk i felt much better the tablets do help I am still taking mine now my moods are better now but you will always miss your love ones

it will be a very hard time for you But A thing to remember is you are Never Alone

I wish you the very best and if you need help like others said just ask

Serenitie
03-12-12, 22:04
Hi Kev,

I have experienced several bereavements in a short space of time when I was in my late teens. It is heartbreaking and felt like my world was crumbling around me. You have my deepest sympathy :hugs:

Medication may help you to get through this difficult time and give you some breathing space . I would also advise grief counselling or talking regularly about your grief and feelings to someone you trust. Grieving is a long, tough process you will need support to get through.

Be kind to yourself and give yourself the space and time to grieve and heal.

You are in my thoughts. I will light a candle for you.