PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Dentist tomorrow feeling panicy already :(

smit
28-11-12, 19:00
Exactly what the title says. Im in so much pain so I have to go get emergency treatment tomorrow morning before work. Work on thursdays is stressfull, now I got this to worry about too so I feel so stressed I'm nautious. Seriously, does anyone have any coping strats I could try?
The idea of having to sit still and calm while someone pokes around in my mouth has my shaking right now :(

nomorepanic
28-11-12, 19:13
Have you read this:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/dental/

smit
28-11-12, 19:28
No I hadn't , thanks for linking it ^^

missybct
28-11-12, 20:26
I also get a lot of anxiety surrounding dentists - oddly enough I had a lot of treatment from the dentist in my teens (think twice a month) but still have the fear!

What I did when I first met my dentist was I explained for about five minutes my fear, and we arranged a code movement that I could do if it was getting to much for me. I think I had to make a circle with my hand and he would stop and allow me to gather myself and we would proceed.

Also, I think some dentists have CD players in their surgery now which can play calming music that you can focus on whilst you are being treated. Or you could ask the dental nurse to talk to you about different things so you can focus on what she is saying.

I hope some of that helps, and I wish you luck for tomorrow.

smit
28-11-12, 20:57
That sounds like a good idea , thanks Ill try and get them to use a similar gesture system though ... I hope I don't end up just running out

panickyme
28-11-12, 21:39
I also am petrified of the Dentist, just the thought of sitting in that chair always makes me a nervous wreck. I agree with missybct. I spoke with my dentist ahead a time, and made her truly aware of how nervous I get. I did the same if it was to much I just raised my hand, and she would stop. Try not to think about getting up. Your tooth hurts so bad you will find the strength to do it. When you get out you will be so proud of yourself, and no more pain. :hugs: Good luck tomm. let us know how it went.

smit
03-12-12, 18:56
Thought if update you on how it went . I had to have a filling done ... I was terrified. Luckily my dentist is very nice, because as soon as I walked in I pretty much had an attack there and then . He let me calm down , we talked about how other patients coped then asked me if I was ready to continue. He said anytime you want me to stop I will . Two attacks later it wasn't that bad in the end. Once he began I was able to just lay back with my eyes shut and focus on my breathing .
It wasn't so bad I guess , I imagine next time if ever will be better.

missybct
04-12-12, 12:52
The thing is although it was terrifying and you panicked, you did get through it. I'm really glad your dentist was helpful and gave you the opportunity to tell him how you felt. A fear of dentists is very, very common because it's such an unnatural feeling.

When you go next time, focus on the fact you DID cope, and nothing bad happened. I know it's not as easy as that, but hopefully it'll help.