PDA

View Full Version : Lumbar Puncture results

Ziggy455
28-11-12, 20:07
I've recently had a lumbar puncture and the doctors came back and gave me my results. They told me that my white blood cell count was 6.0 and that, that was a little high? The doctors were worried I had meninghitis but obviously I don't. I was discharged two days later.

I'm just worried - The doctors would tell me if they thought I had MS wouldn't they?

I asked the doctor my white blood cell count and he said that the range is 0 - 5 and that my cell count was 6. So I'm sort of scared I have MS. I also have constant grainy vision which I'm scared is caused by optic neuritis but my optometrist tells me my eyes are 100% fine.

Stands mum
29-11-12, 07:43
I think the most common reason for high white blood cells is an infection of some kind. So if you have been ill recently then you might have a high white cell count, as I think this is how your body fights the infection.

If your doctors were concerned about the results in anyway they would tell you and be doing further tests. :)

Ziggy455
29-11-12, 11:00
I think the most common reason for high white blood cells is an infection of some kind. So if you have been ill recently then you might have a high white cell count, as I think this is how your body fights the infection.

If your doctors were concerned about the results in anyway they would tell you and be doing further tests. :)

High White Blood Cell count points towards MS because I had no infections or anything else at the time of the lumbar puncture and the doctors were more concerned about a bleed. They were NOT looking for MS. So now I'm worried. :scared15:

The normal range is 0.0 to 5.0 but mine was 6.0.