PDA

View Full Version : Quetipine anyone taking

mandshere2000
28-11-12, 20:45
Hi
Would like to hear from anyone taking quetiapine....doctor wants me
to start this next week on very low dose of 25 mgs morning and night....very nervous about taking any medication also take 40 mgs of Prozac, he wants me to stay on that, have been on this since 2004
Been suffering from DP/DR and awful downers with suicidal thoughts since August 2011 on/off but they are becoming more frequent, he seems to think being on such a low dose of the quetiapine will mean no side effects and it will help me sleep( which is terrible 4/5am every night before I drop off) and will stop the horrible and frightening thoughts
First thing I did was look it up and thought on no side effects are awful, but i did stop myself from reading all of it and just trying to stay positive and be brave and think I have to give it a chance and maybe hearing from some of you who are on it and how its helped you might give me even more courage to give it go even though I'm so scared:scared15:.....I always hoped I could one day be medication free but maybe that's not going to happen now
The psychiatrist thinks because my life and childhood has been so traumatic that sometimes we just have to admit to ourselves that medication for the foreseeable future is the only way I will have some quality of life.....and not live my life terrified when the next episode of DP and anxiety will strike
Would love to hear people's views on this
Thanks for reading my post:)
Manda

oliverb
28-11-12, 21:10
I'm on 150mg quetiapine together with trifluoperazine and mirtazapine, and it's fine, considering the alternative of very low moods. There were some drawbacks at first, but nothing too bad after I got used to it. I should think your dose is too low for the more unpleasant initial side effects - constant tiredness, rapid weight gain, etc - and is just enough to sedate you for the night.

mandshere2000
29-11-12, 15:30
Hi
Hope it's ok to repost my original post, hoping for few more replys

Kel star
29-11-12, 19:36
I was in similar situation a few years ago and was hospitalised. They put me on quetipine then with great success. I was that ill then that side effects weren't an issue. I was discharged, improved and eventually weaned off it remaining on venalafaxine. It is hard to accept that we can't function without medication but as friends remind me if it was a more physical illness like thyroid problems or diabetes non of us would think twice about taking meds to correct it.
I find there is no cut and dried remedy every person has their own response to medication and no two people's reactions are the same. It's a bit of a lottery you just have to work by trial and error until you find the combination that works for you.
Good luck hope you benefit from this regime. Keep in touch on this site. One of the most important things in dealing with anxiety and depression is not to let yourself cut off from the world because then your thoughts take over:bighug1:

mandshere2000
29-11-12, 21:01
Hi kel
Thanks so much for your reply, it really helps to hear others experiences
Do you mind me asking how long was you on it and what dosage, and being weaned of it
did that go ok
So are you still on venlafaxine.....yes that's very true about thyroid/ diabetic meds, I have underactive thyroid and have had to take thyroxine for 21 years now, and have no choice but have to take it.....so it's only the same for any mental illness which can be corrected/ helped with medication
I'm such a chicken though so scared of taking anything, but I know I have to find the courage from somewhere and take the quetiapine
Did you get any side effects
Manda

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

kel is it ok to ask what you was diagnosed with, I take Prozac for depression/anxiety, but I forgot to ask the psychiatrist what he thinks I'm suffering with now

Kel star
29-11-12, 22:49
Hi not a problem. To be honest cant remember dosage it was about seven years ago. Didn't have too many problems weaning off they did it gradually. When I was in hospital they tried to say I had a personality disorder but I have a long long history of anxiety and depression. Reading posts on this site my repeated attempts at suicide mirror the feelings of some people on the site. I tend to catastrophising which isn't beneficial when my work role is as a teaching assistant looking after sen youngsters.
I can't carry on chatting tonight getting the goans of disapproval from hubby for being on iPad. I'll mail you tomorrow.

mandshere2000
30-11-12, 01:00
Hi kel
Thanks so much for replying and sharing with me
Speak tomorrow
Manda

maximus1975
30-11-12, 12:15
im on 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening like u iwasnt to keen but in the end just went with it , i would say it has helped with my anxiety , bu my cosultant says you need to be on a bigger dose for manic depression , he gave me some 200mg tablets a while back i took one of those and 15 mins later was in a full blown panic attack, so it was back to a smaller dose, i would def give it a go xx

tattoogirl
01-12-12, 01:07
Hey, im on 60mg of prozac, and 50mg at night of quetiapine to help me sleep. I started off at 25mg morning and night but found i was exhausted alot so they changed it to 50mg slow release i think it is, at night and its much better.

The main thing it helps me with is sleep but thats it!