vindrea
29-11-12, 08:12
do many of you do this?
im on week 3 of increasing my prozac dosage to 60mg
xxx

Hypo
29-11-12, 08:49
YES!!!!!!

My husband does as well when he is anxious. He has actually grinded of the enamel on some of his teeth.

vindrea
29-11-12, 09:09
should i go dentist or will it pass when the prozac settles?

ricardo
29-11-12, 09:11
I have been doing this for years. I am afraid another sign of anxiety. IMO Prozac might not be the answer for this particular problem, but a night gaurd from your dentist may well help.

vindrea
29-11-12, 09:14
ji ricardo, ive been put on prozac for health anxiety but i think its making me clench and my tongue is scalloped at front from where i assume im pushing my tongue into my teeth x

ricardo
29-11-12, 09:18
vindrea hi.

I am not sure as I suck my cheeks in when asleep. I would check with your dentist,as I don't want to give you any wrong advice. Good luck.

chris39
29-11-12, 10:07
Hi. Jaw clenching and teeth grinding is common in your sleep when you feel anxious and stressed. I take painkillers due to the after effects. No anti depressants has ever stopped me doing it in the first place.
Dentist asked me if I was aware of my teeth grinding during an appointment because he could see the signs of wear and tear. He asked me to consider a night guard. They are expensive, at the time to do the mould and make it I think it was just over £200.
But Doctors and forums I read don't rate them highly.

vindrea
29-11-12, 10:19
hmmm i dont know whether to bother with the dr appt and hope when the prozac settles I wont clench, i think its the prozac making me do it!

kittikat
29-11-12, 10:38
I have been on venlafaxine since August and I find I have started jaw clenching since starting my medication. I believe it can be a SE of some anti d type meds and is also associated with anxiety. I never done it before I started my meds, so is obviously a SE for me. I am fairly settled on my medication now but I still do this a lot, especially at night.

Kitti :)

vindrea
29-11-12, 10:47
thanks everyone, does this cause scalloped tongue too? x

Melisssa
29-11-12, 13:52
Ive been doing this lately.. Thought because I'd seen this post. Also push my tongue to one side.. I had it before and it can take sometime to stop

vindrea
29-11-12, 14:07
are you teeth marking ur tongue too Melissa?

lo89
29-11-12, 14:33
Hey, just wanted to let you know I get this too - the g.p. did not do much for me except try to address my anxiety as apparently it is caused by anxiety.
I have had a 'clicky' jaw my whole life, and maybe about 3 years ago it began randomly locking closed, usually whilst chewing food, and I had to physically force it open again.
About 6 months ago my jaw stopped opening to its full range - the average jaw opens 5cm, mines only opens to 3cm so this causes issues with eating.
It is caused by wear and tear of the muscles because of jaw clenching. My dentist took a full set of dental x-rays to identify if the problem was skeletal (it wasn't) and made a study model of my mouth so he has a reference point which can monitor for any damage to my teeth, plus he made me an acrylic mouth guard which I wear when sleeping during periods of jaw pain (typically lasting a few weeks) - my doctor then prescribed me naproxen for the pain which works quite well.
I would advise you to see a good dentist as that is where I have had most success. If my jaw doesn't improve, I am being referred to the dental hospital for an ultrasound, and possible botox/antidepressants (these apparently can help)
My tongue is not involved so I can't comment on that part.
Good luck - tmjd is horrible!