PDA

View Full Version : Cats and litter trays poisoning us?!

crystal17
29-11-12, 11:24
I haven't posted on here for months so hello to the people I used to talk to here.

I've been getting so paranoid lately about many things healthwise, but is mostly to do with the 3 kittens we have plus their mother. We are moving in 2 weeks so it will be alot better then as the place we are going to is bigger and we'll have a cat door.

At the moment they are 6 months old and for the past 5 months have destroyed our flat. There are 4 litter trays and all of them are constantly being urinated on and pooed in. They also wee and poo on the carpet.
The whole situation is disgusting and I worry is is slowly poisoning us. I'm also worried about toxoplasmosis. I have had migraines for years but have been getting them more frequently and feel sick every day. My son who is 9 is always saying he feels sick and sneezes lots too.

I'm taking him to the doctors this afternoon as he was sent home from school today, again for nausea. Do you think I should mention the cats?

Thankyou anyone :)

xJust_Sarahx
29-11-12, 11:56
Hi,
I have a cat, i use the igloo type litter trays, do you use a igloo type or an open one? When i first got my cat i used an open tray, although it was in the outer bit i could still smell it and the smell of the litter etc, as soon as i got an igloo type it blocked all the smell off, and i couldn't smell it, only when i cleaned the litter. I assume with having kittens and that, that you cleaning it as much as you can anyway, but i would suggest that type of litter tray, if your already using that type and its still strong then im not sure what to suggest.

Im not saying you need to, but if you feel better mentioning it to the doctors then do so, as if you really wanted to ask the doctor and you didnt, you will always be worrying, im sure its all not related to that though :) x

crystal17
29-11-12, 16:57
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the tip about those litter trays I will look into them for when we move as they sound much more hygienic x

xJust_Sarahx
29-11-12, 18:11
No probs, i got mine of ebay, just a play one with a lid and flap x

Edie
29-11-12, 18:59
Toxoplasmosis is a very mild flu-like illness for most people. Many people get it without even realising. The main risk is in pregnancy, as it can cause miscarriage. If you wash your hands after dealing with the litter tray, you should be protected. If you want to be extra careful, you could set aside a pair of rubber gloves just for this purpose. This would protect from the infection entering any cuts you might have on your hands.

crystal17
30-11-12, 12:42
Thankyou Edie, yeah think I am probably worrying over nothing, got alot on my mind and very stressed.
I always wash my hands after touching anything to do with the litter trays and cat food bowls etc.

Tessar
30-11-12, 17:08
hey crystal. we've got a new cat so we have a litter too, I've been tasked with emptying it. My feeling is that if you wash your hands after dealing with the litter tray, you should be protected. That's how I do it & i've not got any worries. Actually we feed our birds too & I'm more concerned about keeping my hands clean after doing the feeders than worrying about the cat.
does your adult cat go out at the moment? I only ask as maybe she couldnt have Toxoplasmosis as she'd need to be outside to get it?
perhaps your symptoms are down to the things on your mind, stress is a very powerful thing. I had been feeling quite unwell of late but also dealing with lots of stress too so I believe that could well be reason you arent feeling tip top.
Anyway, hopefully you're enjoyng the lovely kittens & when you're in the new place it'll all start to settle down!

crystal17
01-12-12, 17:30
Thanks Tessar, yes the mom cat does go outside so I guess there is a chance she could come into contact with toxo but then he mostly goes to the toilet outside, its the kittens who are constantly going indoors and making the place absolutely stink.

I'm sorry to hear you are stressed too at the moment, I totally agree with you that it can cause all sorts of horrible symptoms and make us feel terrible! I hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks for replying :)

Zingything
01-12-12, 18:24
Hi Crystal

I have had cats for as long as I can remember and have tried all sorts of litter and trays. I personally found that a large and deep tray works best as they don't miss it when having a wee. I did try the igloo type but one of my cats refused to use it at all. I think it was scared as it couldn't see what was behind the door.

I've also found that cheap cat litter not only makes me sneeze but also the cats, and the smell can be awful. After many trials of clay, gel, paper, clumping litter etc, I have opted for Castan Hygeine cat litter. It is more expensive I have to say, however I only have to change the whole litter once a week and there is no smell really at all, so overall it doesn't make much difference in price as it doesn't need changing as often as cheap litter. Of course you still have to scoop solids every day.

The kittens will learn to use a tray, just keep gently plonking them in the litter when you spot them having a wee where they shouldn't. It would be great if you could post a photo on here for us to see them.

I agree with others, wash your hands/use gloves/anti-bac gel after you've been attending to the litter tray and you'll be just fine. Just enjoy the kittens, I'm actually quite envious as they are so much fun and cuddly when they are a few months old.

I wish you the very best with your move, and remember not to let the cats out for a week or two until they get used to their new surroundings, you don't want them going missing because they don't know where they are. xx

crystal17
04-12-12, 21:07
Hey Zingything, thanks so much for your reply and apologies for being late acknowleging you, its so hectic at the moment with moving!! I havent stopped!

I've tried that Catsan litter and it was very good and if I can afford it I'll try to get that more regularly as it was much better with regards to the smell of urine etc.

Thanks for your advice and I've tried to upload a pic of them but it wouldnt work and said 'Upload failed' :weep:

Not sure how to do it.....?