PDA

View Full Version : How often does your anxiety get in the way?

owls
29-11-12, 15:20
Do you call in to work? Are you late for appointments?

My anxiety has limited me from what seems like everything. I cannot leave my home even to go grocery shopping. I have let anxiety control my life. Does your anxiety keep you from living your life?

What has it done to you or others?

I think my anxiety has kept me from keeping in contact with my family, thus being distant from everyone except my mother.

Do you have anything to share or any stories?

Nicholaix
29-11-12, 20:37
I can't go anywhere alone and when I do there's no point, such as when im shopping I can't go to the till to pay for anything. I often promise people I will meet them but can't bare the thought of getting the bus..

Is there any ways to get around it? :S

Kez_miller
29-11-12, 21:47
I have not been into a shop now or a busy public place for almost 4 years! It's a nightmare! Anxiety is the worst thing in the world sometime but the only thing that as kept me going is to keep telling myself this horrible thing is not real! It does not exist! It can't harm u if it don't exist! And that I accept how I feel! Run that through ur head over and over for a couple of days and trust me you will start to notice the difference! You need to remember it is a psychological condition and the more you retrain your subconscious mind into knowing your not afraid of anything the better it becomes! Xx

Rls1994
30-11-12, 20:13
My anxiety gets in my way every single day, without fail. Nicholaix sounds exactly like me to be honest, I have to be accompanied by someone nearly all the time when I go out.

hellybelly1982
30-11-12, 20:40
Oh yes its stopped me from doing lots of things. I have no friends because i'am so flakey and cant commint to making plans. I prefer my own space but sometimes I wish I had some friends. I always cancel plans with friends because I would rather be at home or do my own thing. I also cant hold down a full time job but I do work part time.

Rls1994
30-11-12, 21:13
Oh yes its stopped me from doing lots of things. I have no friends because i'am so flakey and cant commint to making plans. I prefer my own space but sometimes I wish I had some friends. I always cancel plans with friends because I would rather be at home or do my own thing. I also cant hold down a full time job but I do work part time.

This is me! I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. It's annoying, I want to have some friends, but then whenever someone eventually comes around and wants to meet up and stuff I end up making excuses so I don't have to go.. I feel selfish and everything but I suffer from bad social anxiety and I would literally rather be at home where I'm most comfortable, as I get nervous and uncomfortable speaking to people. I fear of being judged the most.

hellybelly1982
01-12-12, 09:50
It's annoying isnt it? I dont have social anxiety but I often view having to meet up as friends as a chore and theres a million and one other things I would rather be doing. I know people in the past and one at the moment slag me off and I dont blame them. I have made plans in the past and bought tickets to go places with people and then made up excuse after excuse why I couldnt go. Iam my own worst eneemy, I moan I havent got any friends but as soon as someone comes along wanting to be my friend I just cant be bothered.

nicbub
01-12-12, 10:20
Me too. I have social anxiety and never want to go and do anything even though people do ask me. I feel down some days because I haven't been out and done anything but yet again I can't bring myself to go out. I also worry about seeing people I know if i'm out and about.

Pipkin
01-12-12, 11:16
Interesting question...

In so many ways, anxiety has held me back all my life, stopped me doing things and has given me years of worry, preventing me from enjoying times which should have been happy. I've always tried my best not to let my issues affect others and spoil their quality of life but I guess it's inevitable to some extent and this really upsets me.

In other ways, it has made me who I am as I can't really remember life before anxiety. I'm now a determined person and very sensitive to others' needs which has changed me in a positive way. Being a general optimist, I'm always trying to look for the positive!

I can't deny though that it's a horrendous condition that I wouldn't wish on anybody. The most frustrating part of all is that it's our own minds that create it and the answer to beating it is there too. If only it were as easy as it sounds...

Pip

owls
01-12-12, 11:39

This is also me. I feel like an awful friend and the friends I did have think i'm unreliable and they no longer want to associate with me because i'm just a failure. My anxiety has controlled my life, my friends, my actions and it has consumed everything I once was.

missybct
01-12-12, 15:15
It stops me from leading the life everyone around me seems to be able too. I can't hold down a job. I can't commit to anything short or long term, such as seeing friends or attending events. I seldom leave the house unless I am with someone, and even then I never truly relax. I cannot go anywhere that will be busy. I find it very difficult to eat. I cannot concentrate on anything. I don't sleep properly. I hardly have any friends because none of them can be bothered to talk and understand my situation. I exist on a cocktail of anti depressants and valium. I can't get truly happy about any situation because I have a doomed mind. The things I loved; travelling, drinking socially, loving and laughing have all been put on hold. I don't really feel like I exist anymore. Sometimes I wish I didn't.

jayjoe18
01-12-12, 17:26
It stops me doing everything, it's stopped me from having a life. I'm 19 with no friends, boyfriend, job, etc. I've missed so much (infact I'd go as far as saying I've missed all) of my teenage years. I wanted to go to college and do my A-Levels but had to drop out, I want to go to Uni, drive, have friends, just be happy really and be calm and not be in a mad panic 24/7 trying to rush through my life because I can't cope! I hate anxiety!

panickyme
01-12-12, 17:47
I could write a book, as to what anxiety has stopped me from doing in life. It's so sad, to know what I could of, or would have been, if I wasn't a prisoner of anxiety. It's a mean, cruel, illness. I have made the stupidest excuses not to go somewhere, or do something, and yes I have missed work, and plenty of other things. :weep:

hellybelly1982
01-12-12, 19:31
What strikes me is just how much we all have in common. It the same for me as well I had to leave university, give up my place to study abroad and I cant work full time, only part time in a very stressfree job. I have quit countless jobs in the past and career oppurtunities. It seems alot of us can relate to having problems keeping friendships and like me it seems alot of you dont have many friends because of anxiety.
Sending you all hugs :hugs:

Emma86
01-12-12, 21:57
Interesting question...

In so many ways, anxiety has held me back all my life, stopped me doing things and has given me years of worry, preventing me from enjoying times which should have been happy. I've always tried my best not to let my issues affect others and spoil their quality of life but I guess it's inevitable to some extent and this really upsets me.

In other ways, it has made me who I am as I can't really remember life before anxiety. I'm now a determined person and very sensitive to others' needs which has changed me in a positive way. Being a general optimist, I'm always trying to look for the positive!

I can't deny though that it's a horrendous condition that I wouldn't wish on anybody. The most frustrating part of all is that it's our own minds that create it and the answer to beating it is there too. If only it were as easy as it sounds...

Pip

This is me also :( I cannot remember how I was before I got anxiety, how I lived my life. I know for a fact that I would be doing so much more now if I didnt worry everytime I left the house. I always turn down my friends nights out, I always have to go out with someone and rely on my friends too much to take me places as I cant go on my own.
I know I wouldnt be this person if I didnt have anxiety.
My relationship broke down because of this, he found it very hard to deal with when I had my bad times, I cant blame him, when someone hasnt gone through it or never experienced it, it must be very difficult to understand.
He lives and hour and a half away and I always said to myself, I'll catch the train up to his one weekend, but I never did, I couldnt :( He always came to me. Again, if I didnt have this I would have been up there all the time!
Its always, what if's.
Anxiety does rule my life, its with my 24/7. I get so angry and frustrated at myself for feeling like this but its very difficult to change, I'm having CBT but thats going to take a long time again :(

Pipkin
01-12-12, 23:27
This is me also :( I cannot remember how I was before I got anxiety, how I lived my life. I know for a fact that I would be doing so much more now if I didnt worry everytime I left the house. I always turn down my friends nights out, I always have to go out with someone and rely on my friends too much to take me places as I cant go on my own.
I know I wouldnt be this person if I didnt have anxiety.
My relationship broke down because of this, he found it very hard to deal with when I had my bad times, I cant blame him, when someone hasnt gone through it or never experienced it, it must be very difficult to understand.
He lives and hour and a half away and I always said to myself, I'll catch the train up to his one weekend, but I never did, I couldnt :( He always came to me. Again, if I didnt have this I would have been up there all the time!
Its always, what if's.
Anxiety does rule my life, its with my 24/7. I get so angry and frustrated at myself for feeling like this but its very difficult to change, I'm having CBT but thats going to take a long time again :(

Very similar in lots of ways. I also lost a relationship because of it - 12 years and in the end it became too much. As I said, I'm absolutely determined not to let this happen again now that I have a partner who understands (and kicks my arse when I'm feeling like I can't do anything).

I always turn down invitations to go out (I can't remember the last time I had a night out with friends) to the point that no-one asks anymore. In some ways, that's good because I don't have to keep thinking up reasons not to go. In others, it's very sad because I have an awful feeling that it could be very easy to end up with very few friends. Luckily, I have some great friends who I've known for a very long time who stick with me. I'm not sure why they do but I'm very grateful to them.

Pip x

Tero
01-12-12, 23:50
Not so much really, I have worked full days two years since firs panic attacks. I have some trouble getting places due to my phobia, and travel at night is difficult.

Thumbelina
02-12-12, 02:00
I can say now i had no episodes for 1,5 years.
But his one has been for over two weeks so far. From panic attack to anxiety, nausea, weight loss....
But on the bright side doc said amyne next gap wil be 3 years...

owls
02-12-12, 05:17
I could write a book, as to what anxiety has stopped me from doing in life. It's so sad, to know what I could of, or would have been, if I wasn't a prisoner of anxiety. It's a mean, cruel, illness. I have made the stupidest excuses not to go somewhere, or do something, and yes I have missed work, and plenty of other things. :weep:

Maybe that's a way you could help others, and yourself. I have found writing to be a great thing. Journals are life savers, have you tried to write down thoughts or dreams?

hellybelly1982
02-12-12, 10:22
Maybe that's a way you could help others, and yourself. I have found writing to be a great thing. Journals are life savers, have you tried to write down thoughts or dreams?

Compltly agree, I keep a diary in it and write down my day, how i'm feeling, good or bad etc. I also write down things I'am looking forward to in the future and at LEAST five things I'am grateful for each day. I also stick in it pictures of things I like and tickets or mementos of places I have been.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

I always turn down invitations to go out (I can't remember the last time I had a night out with friends) to the point that no-one asks anymore. In some ways, that's good because I don't have to keep thinking up reasons not to go.

Pip x

This is me all over, people dont bother with me anymore and the only real friends I have now are my neighbours.