PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Is Ruining My Life

JurassicPark
29-11-12, 23:04
Hi All. Apologies for the long post. I have joined up because I am currently sitting at home when I should be in London with my boyfriend. The reason I am not there is that I just could not get on the train. I am always nervous on trains. I sit there for the entire journey going over various awful scenarios in my head relating to the train crashing, or a passenger going nuts on board. I think about what I would do in each situation, planning my escape route etc. I am also scared of the tube (which of course is a train, and worse, a train that runs underground and is always rammed) and also of walking to his house from the station. I have tonnes of fears like these, mainly related to public transport, walking alone in 'not so nice' areas or at night (or even after dark) and although I have had them for years, my current situation - having a boyfriend who lives in London and a job that requires me to go to London occasionally - means that I am having to face them more than I used to. The problem is that all my fears seem totally stupid to everyone else who I speak to. My boyfriend is extremely understanding, but it is even wearing thin on him that I find it hard to get on a train or I make him get a taxi home instead of taking the tube etc. etc. I have broken down into hysterical tears a few times trying to do these things. It feels like a problem that pales in comparison to some that I see on here. But I desperately want to move in with my boyfriend and he has to be in London for his job at the moment so I have to move there so it's getting kind of urgent that I get over all of these fears.

I am not frightened of anything that is within my control. I love driving, I travel a lot that way (too much in fact, I live a nomadic lifestyle due to my job and my family and friends being spread across the country) and never feel anxious in a car, I know that this is because I am in control. I would love to drive a train myself, or fly a plane! That would not scare me (well maybe flying a plane would scare me a normal amount!). I never feel anxious about anything that 'normal' people generally feel anxious about, like where is my life going, will I ever find love etc. I have got that all sorted out for now. I am successful (somehow) and have a very loving boyfriend but I'm worried that my stupid little fears will take that all away from me. I just wish I could do everyday things without planning and thinking and worrying about them. I have to go to Denmark in September for work and am already freaking out about getting on the plane. Whenever I try to address my issues with anyone the question that I get asked is always "what's the worst that could happen?" and my answer for all my worries is "i could die horribly and wouldn't be in control of it" and I think that is the root of the problem. All my fears are related to my not being in control of my own death ... a train crash, a plane crash, a bomb on the tube, being mugged and stabbed in the street, all things I cannot control, unless I just avoid them. I am an extremely independent person and I want to do something about this but have no idea what to do. I am never in one place long enough to see a counsellor. I have seen counsellors before for another anxiety issue I had which involved me feeling sick to the point of almost being sick in any situation where I was sitting in a quiet room with lots of people (mainly lectures at Uni, I had to take all my exams in a room separate from everyone else, or in a cinema/theatre (so I often dread going to do these nice things rather than look forward to them)). I have managed to get a long way to getting over this and want to do the same for my fear of public transport. Any ideas of how I can get started? Or does anyone else have a random fear of travelling in public places? I feel like I might be going crazy or that I am just a massive control freak ... everyday life is a massive effort for me and I feel like when I do do something like take a train to London by myself that I should somehow feel proud, but then I realise that other people do this every day and don't give a damn about it. I just want to be those people. Any advice? Anyone else scared of public transport? Or got over fears like this? I'd appreciate any help and sorry for the ramble.

Serenitie
29-11-12, 23:18
You seem to have a lot of control issues. It would be helpful to have counselling to get to the root of where these issues arise from. A lot of them seem to stem from travelling on public transport in close proximity to people with no 'escape' route. If you can identify where these fears originated from, this would be a huge help in resolving them.

sunshine1
30-11-12, 09:36
hmm, can see the problem. How about an online CBT course? On a practical level, looking at statistics etc. trains and planes are really safest forms of transport. I understand where you are coming from though, don't like feeling not in control myself. x