PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy/hypnosis?

Kez_miller
30-11-12, 05:36
Hi I have just been looking into this whole thing of hypnotherapy and I've spent a couple of ours reviewing it and what people say and most if not all say its cured them or at least 90% cured them from anxiety & panic attacks! So my question is if this method is so affective because it brings your subconscious mind to the forefront to re programme it almost which is what is needed to be done to over come anxiety then why is this not available on the NHS? Why r tablets given out left right & centre to risk making people worse? I'm going to pay privately and give it ago I mean hey anything is worth a punt is it not?

Thumbelina
30-11-12, 09:13
Kieran,
I would discuss it with your doctor first, and see what he/she thinks.

Jojo1603
30-11-12, 11:32
Hi there - I have had hynotherapy and it did help me - I walked in there a nervous wreck and walked out confident and in control - I believe you are what you Practise - anxiety and depression is a terrible confidence crusher - my anxiety did return but Not as bad - i had further sessions - the reason doctors give out tablets is because it's An inexpensive way to treat people - i believe for some anti depressants r not necessary but to completely understand what is happening to them in a bewildering and frightening time is crucial - I think it's shocking the amount of peoPle on here that have not had counsiling or had to wait years - good luck and if u go down the hyno route and i can be of further help let us kno

cattia
30-11-12, 15:47
I have had hypnotherapy and it did help me to manage my anxiety but it hasn't cured it. It's expensive and I find that I need to practice self hypnosis to keep my anxiety in check, when my anxiety is bad it can be hard to focus enough to do that so top up sessions are needed. I could do with some top up now but can't afford it. I don't think it is a miracle cure but certainly it is a helpful management technique. I wonder if it might be most effective with things like panic attacks. With me my HA seems so deep seated that I wonder if it will ever truly go away. I do think I can do things to significantly leswen its impact on my life though.

Wanderlust
01-12-12, 07:39
Hi, I had hypnotherapy about 10 years ago during my first major period of health anxiety (before I really understood much about it), I have to say that whilst it didn't cure me completely it did give me confidence and a way to stay in control even at my lowest and most fragile, practising self hypnotherapy outside of the sessions was the only reason I kept my job at the time.
It was expensive and I could not maintain it for long because of that, and sadly it did not cure me (possibly because I did not attend for long or because it isn't cure able?) but I would say that it was worth it.
I am considering it again, as things are starting to get out of control for me again. I am interested in how much progress has been made in the field over the last decade.