PDA

View Full Version : IBS or Diverticulitis?? Please help!

chl_hobbs
02-12-12, 08:28
Hi all,

I have severe Health anxiety after a minor op went very wrong (the surgeon cut my spleen and I almost died..) and so if you can reassure me Id be so grateful.

Im 29, and as part of a CT scan to check how my tummy was healing a few months ago, the report found that I had 'minor diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon'. The consultant said not to worry and that many of the western world have it without even knowing until they get older.

My consultant also thinks I have IBS as I have bouts of pain and diarrohea every few months, but it's been fine for the past 6 months or so.

Anyway, I have just finished a course of co-amoxiclav for a skin infection, and suddenly yesterday I started getting pain in my lower/mid left abdomen. It hurt quite a bit and then started cramping. My partner brought me some lunch, and literally as soon as I swallowed the first piece, started getting intense cramps in the lower left abdo and ran to the toilet. It was yellow diarrhea. It felt a bit better after but made me very sore down below. It continued all night, with bouts of pain and diarrhea, then tenderness in lower left abdo and a bit of nausea. I managed to eat (i dont know why I did) and it was ok at that point. I went to bed (pain didnt wake me) but as soon as I woke up it felt like there was a pencil stuck in my left abdomen. It was so sore. I had a little bit of yellow diarrhea and now feel very sore - in that exact place. Ive not got a fever and am ok, just sore in the lower left abdomen area.

Is this a flare up of the diverticulitis?? Or does it sound like IBS? How am I supposed to know the difference? Many of the symptoms are the same for both, and I have know Idea how to handle it!!! If it's IBS I can deal with it but I havent had a flare up of diverticulitis before and I know it can be risky... I know it was only minor on the CT, Im just scared that it's somehow got blocked or infected... it's a Sunday so cant see GP but I know even if I did, he wouldnt know, how can he see through me?!

If anyone can shed some light on this, or if anyone has Diverticular disease and can help me, Id be so grateful. I have no idea if it's that or IBS....

Charlotte x

Thumbelina
02-12-12, 12:14
Hi charlotte,
I have upset stomach for the past 2 weeks due to panic and anxiety. I am at the toilet many many times a day. Other than during these times i always have problem with constipation all the time.
I have never even asked the docs if i have IBS or not - just dont want to worry more...
If its botheres you so much - get it all checked for your peace of mind.
I have not heard of the other diagnosis you mentioned.

nomorepanic
02-12-12, 14:46
Apparently I have diverticular disease as well as Crohn's and IBS so I have the full bag lol.

If you are no better tomorrow then do see the doctor as they may be able to tell from a blood test if you have inflammation. I have to get my CRP checked as that is a good indicator for the Crohn's misbehaving so maybe it is the same for diverticular as well.

CeeCeeCee
10-09-14, 11:49
Hi, what is CRP test please? I am having bad bouts of diarrhea and nausea again. I am on holiday and it always seems to be when I am away. Could it be a change of diest as I am always careful and manage my diet quite well at home. I do have IBS but I'm scared as to the reason I keep getting these bouts, especially when I'm away. Any help would be great, thanks.

nomorepanic
10-09-14, 11:52
CRP just checks for inflammation

CeeCeeCee
10-09-14, 17:21
Thank you Nicola, maybe my tummy is inflamed. I'm just back to worrying after being so good for so long.