PDA

View Full Version : Approaching 40 - scared I'm not going to make it.

paulredfern
02-12-12, 09:23
I've been suffering from anxiety for several years now.Sometimes I can cope with it well, othertimes less so...
I'm 39 in March and I'm really staring to get anxious about nearing 40.let me put it into a bit of context - its not that getting older bothers me - no - my anxiety keeps trying to tell me that I wont make it to my fortieth (ie that something horrible like a disease or an accident will kill me before I get there).This is not the first time this has happened - my anxiety told me for 3 years that I was going to die at the age of 36 - thankfully this wasnt the case - so then my anxiety changed it to I was going to die at 38 (not helped by the fact one of my friends actually DID die at that age), now I've only got a couple of months of being 38 left - the anxiety is saying that 40 is the one to fear and that i wont make it.I must stress I'm NOT feeling sucicidal - Hell no I'm too scared of dying to hasten it.It feels absolutely crazy- even talking about it does - I know it's probably just because i'm getting older and everyone gets a bit cranky/in denial/disbelieving they are that age when they approach 40 - but to me it's just giving my anxieties fuel.:weep:
Has anyone else experienced this or similar - it would just be nice to know I'm not alone in this:unsure:

Annie0904
02-12-12, 09:36
You have to tell yourself that it is just a thought...you know it is because you have had that same thought before and nothing bad happened, nothing bad will happen when you reach 40 because it is just a thought. I know you know this and are still anxious. One of my friends died when she was 35, another when she was 45 so I got it into my head that it will be my turn when I am 55! I am 55 next year. I was telling a friend about it last week. It sounds silly and I know it is just a thought but it isn't easy to get it out of my head. Okay so when I am 56 and you are 41 we will come back to this thread and laugh about it together because I am sure we will both still be fine :)

Thumbelina
02-12-12, 09:51
Thats the attitude Annie!

paulredfern
02-12-12, 10:02
You have to tell yourself that it is just a thought...you know it is because you have had that same thought before and nothing bad happened, nothing bad will happen when you reach 40 because it is just a thought. I know you know this and are still anxious. One of my friends died when she was 35, another when she was 45 so I got it into my head that it will be my turn when I am 55! I am 55 next year. I was telling a friend about it last week. It sounds silly and I know it is just a thought but it isn't easy to get it out of my head. Okay so when I am 56 and you are 41 we will come back to this thread and laugh about it together because I am sure we will both still be fine :)

Youre right of course and thanks:yesyes:Like you say it's the way the thought just pops into your head and wont let go thats the worst part.

Annie0904
02-12-12, 10:11
I know it's crazy :D Thoughts can be so annoying :doh: We need to start planning a big Birthday celebration for your 40th and my 56th Birthdays :yahoo: