PDA

View Full Version : are they really panic attacks?!

nj88
02-12-12, 09:51
Hi I'm new to this forum though I've been reading posts on here for a while now and have found it very helpful in some of my worst times so thanks:) im 24 and ive been suffering with panic attacks for about the last 8 months on and off but its getting to the point now where im wondering if it really is anxiety or a more serious health problem because i dont feel stressed or anxious, in fact my life is pretty good at the moment, i get a bit stressed with work but who doesnt? I had a few months where i had no mayjor attacks but had a constant feeling of....weirdness is the only way i can describe it really, like everything wasnt quite there or real, i dont really know how to explain it but recently ive started getting the attacks again but im worried its an actual heart problem as there really is no reason for them, i can be perfectly happy when all of a sudden i get a tight feeling in my chest and palpitations. All my muscles seem to hurt at the moment and i get random stabbing pains pretty much anywhere but mainly in my chest, feet and hands. Its making me think i have something seriously wrong with me and i seem to be dwelling on it quite alot at the moment but because ive been diagnosed with anxiety my doctors are reluctant to send me for any more tests. Ive had blood tests and ecg tests which all came back normal but im just finding it extremely hard to believe that this isnt a physical problem at all. Can it really be anxiety when i feel completely mentally fine in myself? Any thoughts would be greatly welcome. Thanks alot :)

Thumbelina
02-12-12, 09:56
Hi NJ,
breathlessness and chest pains must be one of the most common symptoms of anx.
If all your tests came back clear, than try ans remind yourself that doctors said your heart is fine and it doesnt matter how much anxiety tries to tell you otherwise its not true.

nj88
02-12-12, 10:06
Ive read that ecg tests are not that reliable though and i feel they are not really trying because im young they assume there will be nothing wrong. I know all about the symptoms but i just dont understand how they can be panic attacks when i dont feel anxious? :(

Thumbelina
02-12-12, 10:09
You are Health anxious, even if you feel fine. You feel that you are fine but your mind is looking for something else as it doesnt believe you.

nj88
02-12-12, 10:15
I suppose that makes sense. I just dont see my life ever being normal again. Thanks for your replies :)

joebloggs
02-12-12, 18:46
Hi.nj88. You will be normal again but health anxiety can be a nasty business. As you have been to your GP and they have diagnosed anxiety you must really believe them. They do not often make mistakes (contrary to popular belief) and I am sure that heath anxiety is your problem. The more you feed your body with fear the more anxious you will feel. Your mind is constantly telling your brain that there is danger and your brain responds accordingly. It sets in motion the old 'fight or flight' response and, as in modern society we can do neither, anxiety sets in.
Dr. Weekes talks about this a length in her books. As you are only 24 you have youth on yopur side and you will not have to wait until middle age to gain wisdom. You can get it from this site from other sufferers. All the symptoms you describe are anxiety related and are really nothing to worry about They are normal in the circumstances. Best wishes. john.

panickyme
02-12-12, 18:54
Ughhhhh.....anxiety can definitely do this to you, I do the same I can feel fine, and then bam....chest pain, and anxiety. I too have had all the test. Try to believe, the blood work does not lie. It's your unconscious thinking that keeps the fear alive. I am still trying myself to believe Doctors. It's hard when you get the sensations the mimic illness. :)

joebloggs
02-12-12, 19:03
Hi. pan. Yes it is, but all the symptoms are those where the body is responding to your thoughts. It is very difficult to associate these feelings with our way of thinking which has to be changed if we are to recover. Dr. Weekes gave a way of testing this theory. She suggested sitting down, taking a deep breath and trying to make the symptoms worse. It can't be done as the amount of adrenaline available is always limited. We go on allowing it to flow by the way we worry. It is kind of self perpetuating. The old vicious circle. More worry, more fear, more worry. Look after yourself. john.

SLjimbo
02-12-12, 22:20
It sounds like garden variety anxiety and panic disorder to me. From experience, just a small thing like a tingling sensation in your hands or a sore arm or muscle can trigger anxiety. In your mind, you get irrational thoughts that it's a serious disease or is the beginning signs of something bigger like a stroke or heart attack. In REALITY, it's just your mind trying to find something wrong with your body even how miniscule it is so the alarm can sound.

My approach for this would be to face your fear and reassure yourself that there's nothing wrong with you medically. What's the worse that could happen? Your odds of having a heart attack because of chest pains is virtually zero considering you're only 24 years old.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try some progressive muscle exercises. Along with abdominal breathing, doing some progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) exercises helps alleviate the anxious and panic caused by physical symptoms. For more information about PMR, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_muscle_relaxation

Through time, your health anxiety will only get better, not worse! :hugs:

Charlee123
04-12-12, 10:38
i no what u mean, i feel that weird feeling. i can be ok for a week or so, then it comes back. a feeling of pure anxiety and panick for no reason atall.